Jodie Burdette

Invoicing Clients - What system do you use

Let me clarify what I mean. I have quite a few clients at several different price points. I am currently using Excel to create and track my invoice, payment received and what have you. However, this is starting to become cumbersome. I have thought about using QB (which I have and use for a couple clients). My main issue there is that I charge all my clients by the hour. I am having trouble figuring out a good way to generate a detailed invoice of time spent on various tasks.

I think I am not seeing the forest for the trees. How do you handle this? I want to find a simple way to create and send invoices and track payments and past due amounts. My current system will be usable for awhile longer but I know there has to be an easier way.

You can set QB up to do different prices for different clients. You could also create an item for each type of task (say blogging, affiliate management, web design, bookkeeping, etc...however you track it) and when you're invoicing if you spent an hour and a half blogging, then you'd put 1.5 in the quantity for the line item blogging. Then, not only would you be giving the client a detailed invoice, you would be able to run reports on which tasks are bringing in the most money for you.

I use QuickBooks. Currently all of my clients have the same hourly rate. I track my time in myhours and then at the end of the month I create an invoice in QB to send to the client. I enter a custom description for each based on what I did for them with the total hours worked and the hourly rate, but it does not contain full details on the hours worked. If they requested a detail of the hours worked I would just download a report from MyHours to send to them, but so far I haven't been asked.

Guest coxadmin

I use the free version of Microsoft Office Accounting. You set up your invoice document, complete with logo, set up each client and set up each service rate, which can be allocated to the client to whom it applies as a default. You can add/change text as necessary and when you click the buttom the info is sent to your invoice for you to check, amend (if necessary) and save.

I just do it by hand. All the systems I tried to use didn't do exactly what I wanted them to, so I just created my own way.

Ok, I have to admit that I also pretty much do my invoicing the same way....Why? Simple, had the money put aside for QB and then used it for something else.

Granted, I do own Simple Accounting (too complicated, and do not need it at this point) and Quicken 2007 Home and Business (love it..for some of the features)...

Long story short, I presently have it all set up in Excel, and transfer the final invoices to Quicken for my accountant.

I WILL GET QB for xmas...If not before.. As my sanity depends on it!

Elenora

Yep, I just signed on with Freshbooks about a month ago. My bookkeeper (who works for the accounting firm that does my year end taxes) is the "gatekeeper" of my Quickbooks now and I don't have to touch it! So I'll just get the bookkeeper to log in to my Freshbooks every quarter and update my QB file from there.

Freshbooks also has a time tracking feature though I just track my time with TraxTime on my computer when I need to. Then it can be transferred to FB as required.

FWIW, I am in the same camp as Candy. My invoices are not super detailed and for the same reasons ... it encourages nitpicking. If someone wants a running schedule of what was done through the project I can forward it to them. Though no one ever asks.

Karri