Jodie Burdette

Invoicing Clients - What system do you use

I've just started to use Paymo, which syncs with Google docs, FB, Basecamp, KashFlow, Xero and QuickBooks.

The use by only one person of a company is free, with infinity projects and clients.

If one needs to set it up for employees too, it starts to cost.

Own logo, timetracker software over various browsers and devices, project management, milestones, estimates and invoices, timesheet, exportable to pdf too.

I'd like, if clients could access my milestones or even timesheets but maybe not, to avoid nitpicking. Have to think about this now :-)

Dana, you said, you are doing it by hand. Could you please share, what you are missing on those programs? I am still at the beginning and I wonder, what I miss or haven't thought to implement yet in my systems.

Til now I've written a quote/estimate, which includes my 3 pages terms & conditions with the request to accept in writing (email), to accept it as a binding contract.

Then I set up a timesheet, which includes the various types of work done (translation, charged per word), calls (to whom, time used, plus charges by provider if call goes to another country), admin tasks (time used)), and then eventually the invoice plus timesheet plus copy of itemised phone bill.

I haven't set up a spreadsheet yet to track the invoices, but sending out my 3rd invoice soon, it is on my to-do-list and that's why I've turned to a program to see, if it eases the process.

Advise more than welcome. As I said, very new to all and I am no bookkeeper, so I have not the faintest clue about those things.

Andrea, I haven't checked the link but Paymo sounds like it might work for me too. I have downloaded the portable version of GNUCash but haven't used it for much of anything yet. I was wondering with Paymo if a person could hand over their login information to their own VA or someone else to have them work on it instead of adding employees (or is that against the rules of the program)?

Thanks

Cathy

I don't break down what I do for a client - they don't ask me for that. I create my own invoices either in Word or Excel.

I use Freshbooks. It's free for the first three clients. I can track time right from Freshbooks and create an invoice from it; email the invoice and print it or even mail it myself; enter payments; keep track of expenses; set up projects and hourly rates for different tasks. I love it. Once I sign my fourth client I will have to start paying a monthly fee but I've been using it since November free of charge.

Dana, you said, you are doing it by hand. Could you please share, what you are missing on those programs? I am still at the beginning and I wonder, what I miss or haven't thought to implement yet in my systems.

I don't like the way the invoices look in any program I've seen. For the two clients I have to hourly bill (the rest are flat rate and such a life and time saver!) I put the hours & dollars into an Excel spreadsheet, insert my logo and payment link, PDF the thing, send it on to them and then send them a PayPal link to pay me.

For my flat rate clients, they pay me between the 25th and 1st for the next month (i.e., I billed them on March 26th for April and everyone paid by April 1st) - they're trained to do that. Not that I'd stop the work, but they know my service is invaluable to them.

Guest Julie Arellano

This is directed to all of those who do not show detailed invoicing...

Do you do your bookkeeping services as package rates?

Andrea, I haven't checked the link but Paymo sounds like it might work for me too. I have downloaded the portable version of GNUCash but haven't used it for much of anything yet. I was wondering with Paymo if a person could hand over their login information to their own VA or someone else to have them work on it instead of adding employees (or is that against the rules of the program)?

Thanks

Cathy

I must admit, I am still checking out other programs too.

Now that I have a few clients with more than 1 invoice/month paymo started to cost.

So if I have to pay anyway I want to have something more powerful.

I currently look into Xero.com and Freeagent.com.

Both integrate with my banking, once can do their CRM in there, they support several apps to track time, cashflow, CRM (capsule), and you can give access to your accountants (not sure yet, if to clients as well). Freeagent works even with my Tax-Organisation (HMRC in the UK). Both have versions for UK and International (Xero only for the English-speaking Internationals USA, NZ, AUS - not sure if CA).

In regards to "handing over login-details": have you ever tried LastPass? I use this with my clients. They simply share with me their login without revealing details.