Sign in to follow this  
Megan B

Thinking of doing Website with Wordpress

Alright Wordpress experts, help me out a little. I have been meaning to redo my site for quite some time and I think I have decided to use Wordpress to do my new site with. I found an awesome theme that I'm considering using and looking forward to customizing, but I have a couple stupid questions before I decide to pull the trigger.

I currently have my Wordpress blog hosted on my main site's domain, which I set up a couple years ago using the "one-click installs" through my host (DreamHost). I guess my biggest question is how do I get this started? Where do I "park" it and work on and customize the theme before I decide to make it live as my new site?

I know enough about web design to work on my own site the old fashioned way, but some of this is a little out of my realm. :blush: Any help and advice is much appreciated.

You can install Wordpress on your hard drive and work on it locally before putting it on your host. You should also be able to have both the blog and the main site - you just have to have the databases installed in separate folders...someone else will have to help you out with that answer though and it's not something I've done personally before.

I like Sherra's idea of working on the site on your harddrive and then uploading the whole thing. Just make sure you do browser testing and all that. I like to upload stuff to the web while I'm working on a site, but just in a separate folder. In this case you could simply upload all the WP files to a folder on your site as in www.mysite.com/wordpress or www.mysite.com/blog. Then when you ar all finished there is a "procedure" for moving the whole thing to the root directory. Here is set of instructions I used when I did this very same thing:

http://www.semiologic.com/resources/wp-bas...wordpress-site/

Just make sure you back up stuff VERY OFTEN as you work on your new site :)

HTH!

Karri

Megan, go into your blog dashboard. Go to Settings -> General. You will see Wordpress Address (URL). DON'T TOUCH THIS! Right under it is Blog Address (URL). It should be named http://www.your-site.com/blog or whatever you named it. Just remove the "/blog" from that and your existing blog will now open where your index page of your website used to open. It's easier than moving the Wordpress files. Just make sure that you've already removed your html index page from the root folder first.

I do like Carrie does. I edit my themes on a page that no one will go to so that I can see it live. Once I am happy with the customization, then I upload it. What I love about Wordpress themes is that if you decide you don't like it, it's so easy to change back to the old theme, or a new theme.

Today is too crazy for me to be able to absorb all of this, but I will be back. I need to build one website doing this with wordpress, for sure.

I have used the front pages...are they static pages, on a domain with big links to the blog. That leaves me with bandwidth to do other things with if I should choose.

Guest AprilTara

I use WordPress for all of my websites (except for 2 "hobby" blogs), for both blogging and static pages. There are a few different options - use the settings in the WordPress dashboard to pick a static home page, just use Word Press for the yourdomain.com/blog page - it all depends on your comfort level and how much you want to change your site.

I'd also recommend using Filezilla FTP client to transfer your files from your computer to your hosting if you're going to work on it offline.

Let me know if you need any help. I do these for clients all the time and I do my own.

I use Wordpress for most of the sites I do these days. There is a plugin you can use where you can test templates without it being visible to the public till you're ready to publish it. It's called Theme Testdrive. I haven't used it but I've heard others love it. I don't actually worry if others are visiting my site while I'm testing out themes - they might think they're going crazy seeing something different every time they visit or perhaps they think I'm crazy. It will keep them guessing and might even make them keep coming back for another look! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all! I really appreciate all of your tips and suggestions. So I think I'm gonna take the plunge. I've already installed wordpress to different folder in my site so I can customize and play with it there. I might be back with more questions later. If it gets way beyond me, I may need to hire one of you expert VAs for myself to help me. ;)