CMK

Fresh eyes and Feedback

Time allotted for testing my new design (and I use that word loosely ;) ) will be used in a mad scramble for a new webhost.

If by some slim chance http://www.dfwvirtualassist.com is actually up (my email isn’t), I would appreciate any feedback on major or minor rendering problems, usability issues, clumsy wording, etc.

Thanks,

Carol

Hi Carol,

Just took a look at your website - very nice. I really like the colours you have chosen.

I took a very quick look over the content and didn't see anything amiss - maybe someone else will have a minute that they can look a bit closer at it for you.

The navigational links worked fine, but I did notice that there is no link to your Privacy Policy from the home page - I found it on the site map. Was this intentional or an oversight?

All in all, your site is very appealing, easy to read, easy to navigate and is not overburdened with information - great job!

Lori

:)

Hi Carol:

I like the site quite a bit. Nice colors, very soothing. I don't have enough time to go through the whole site; however, I had the same observation as Lori.

The design is pleasing. It's obvious you put a lot of work into this.

I do have questions for you about your accessibility conformance.

1> Have you tested your forms to ensure they work without JavaScript?

2> Would you please explain your concept of an accessible site map?

Thank you for your feedback Lori, Naomi, Tawnya, and Kimmer. A link to the Privacy Policy has been added to the footer of all pages. I hope to be able to retrieve your message tomorrow morning Tawnya; my business addresses are still down. :angry:

Lee, I’ve read a couple of your posts here, but I didn’t “recognize” your name until I saw the link to Rose Rock on your shopping cart site. Welcome! The JavaScript on my form pages clears the place-holding text onfocus and validates input fields before submission. The forms themselves are PHP.

I would appreciate your guidance in regards to the site map. Is the structure confusing? Would a definition list or one unordered list be more semantically correct and easy to navigate? Or, am I completely missing your point?

Thanks again,

Carol

Hi Carol,

Didn't know if you would recognize me or not. It's been awhile since we chatted. I hope things are going well for you.

I would use a nested unordered list. Then I would name the nested elements the same as the headings on your pages. That will help those with cognitive difficulties.

For example:

Home

[link]Superior administrative solutions[/link]

[link]Outsourced administrative assistance[/link]

[link]Customer satisfaction guaranteed[/link]

This also creates a theme in your internal links for seo purposes. So, not only are you making your site map more accessible your helping your se friendliness.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions please let me know.

Lee,

Your recommendation makes sense on many levels. I’ll tweak page headings this weekend to facilitate comprehension and proper indexing, and mark the site map up as a nested unordered list.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Carol

Edited by CMK

I'm glad I was able to help.

One thing I didn't mention is the need to mark up your acronyms/abbreviations on each use. This will be required when you bring people into a page below the first use of the acronym/abbreviation.

I can see the benefits of expansion at every occurrence. My business name contains an abbreviation, and it is currently marked as such at first use. Is this beneficial or required? I don’t want continual expansion to become repetitive or disruptive to screen reader users. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Carol

Edited by CMK

It is always better to use the title on all your acronyms and abbreviations. There are many reasons, but the primary reason is to help those with cognitive difficulties regardless of their vision abilities.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again Lee. Added the title attribute to ALL acronyms/abbreviations, and created a definition page for user agents that do not support correct markup. The site map is still a “work in progress,” but it has been changed into a nested unordered list.

I find barriers to those with cognitive difficulties somewhat difficult to identify and address; your comments are very helpful.

Thank you,

Carol

I'm glad I could help.

If anyone else would like a quick accessibility review, I'd be happy to do them in my spare time.

Hi Carol!

Like the site overall. :yay: Will you be doing more SEO? I see a few things in your tags that could be improved. You're only taking advantage of 2 of the metas.

Sincerely,

Heather

Assistant For You!