Guest babieblues15

Getting clients

Guest babieblues15

Hello Everyone:

I am wondering if anyone would help me getting extra work. I have applied for the intership here at VAnetworking and I am on their waiting list. I am having a hard time getting clients. I do not know what I am doing wrong. I have revamped my website several times. I am not getting much traffic to it. I am trying to keep my chin up but it is very frustrating. I have ads on Google adwords. I am in search engines. I have an ad on Yellowpages.com. I have sent out press releases. I just don't know what else to do.

I have recently moved to Missouri from Mississippi. Hence, I do not know anyone here from who I can get work from. Do I need to get a job in a law office? At the moment I am driving a dump truck (ughhhh) which I want to get out of desperately. Could someone give me some suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Julia

Julias Virtual Assistant Service

Julia,

My personal thought with starting out is that networking will get you more notice than anything else.

Find networking groups in your area and go out to them, talk to the business owners there. To me that is a good way to tell people what you do, as most people that could use the services of a VA probably are not spending lots of time internet surfing to do so.

There are also many online networking things you can do as well.

Good Luck

Julia - Get involved with the forum here and let us get to know you. I recently took on a mentee because I liked her sense of humor and her wit when we were in the Networking chat on a Wednesday night. She was up front, honest, and had a lot of good things to say. That appealed to me. I gave her an assignment - and she did AMAZING on it. My client said that it sounded much better now (her bi-weekly newsletter), and she appreciated the time taken to look it over closely. (KC - if I didn't tell you this, I'm sorry. I've been CRAZY this week and you know it!)

I recently gave her a couple of other things to do and the sense of relief that I have that I can just give something over now is great. She's going to start getting more "on the job" training with some other stuff and soon my little eaglet can leave the nest and soar!

I'm sure she'll do amazing things, and I am happy that I can help someone the way I got help last year when I started out.

The internship program has produced some great VA's, and its a stellar program. Everyone knows it! Patty does an awesome, amazing job with them, and once we can clone her - life will be marvelous! :blink:

So, my advice to you, Julia - network, learn, ask questions, and network some more. Even if you just drop by for an hour to networking on Wednesdays - and contribute to the discussions - that'll give everyone a great sense of who you are.

Good luck!

Besides cloning Patty, you could hire Dana! :naughty: She seems to find clients everywhere!

I agree with everyone here also. The only other thing that I have done (and it keeps working for me) is to post an ad on CraigsList. I'm not talking about answering an ad for work on there. Just throw out a quick ad under small business in CraigsList.

I have a WONDERFUL retainer client from that. I also have met several other local busines owners through it. I have gotten project work and a pc from my latest trip over to CraigsList.

It's just another option for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I cannot remember right now if you're a VAinsider or not as I'm typing this but answering RFPs is an excellent source as well. VAinsiders here at VAnetworking have access to those RFPs. The IVAA also lists RFPs that I've gotten project work from.

Best wishes.

Colleen,

I was reading through this forum and noticed that you mentioned that VAinsider's have access to RFP's. Is this where clients request services and VA's respond to their request? Do clients determine the VA they wish to work with by which VA responds to the RFP's?

I noticed in another forum that VA's could become a VAinsider by signing up at a discounted rate of $99. If I remember correctly the post was dated October of last year. Anyways, I was just wondering if there will be a discount offered anytime soon?

Also, I would like to thank everyone at this forum. This is a great place!

Michelle

Besides cloning Patty, you could hire Dana! :naughty: She seems to find clients everywhere!

I agree with everyone here also. The only other thing that I have done (and it keeps working for me) is to post an ad on CraigsList. I'm not talking about answering an ad for work on there. Just throw out a quick ad under small business in CraigsList.

I have a WONDERFUL retainer client from that. I also have met several other local busines owners through it. I have gotten project work and a pc from my latest trip over to CraigsList.

It's just another option for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I cannot remember right now if you're a VAinsider or not as I'm typing this but answering RFPs is an excellent source as well. VAinsiders here at VAnetworking have access to those RFPs. The IVAA also lists RFPs that I've gotten project work from.

Best wishes.

Dana,

Are Wednesday's the night that everyone gets together in this forum? What time on Wednesday?

Michelle

Julia - Get involved with the forum here and let us get to know you. I recently took on a mentee because I liked her sense of humor and her wit when we were in the Networking chat on a Wednesday night. She was up front, honest, and had a lot of good things to say. That appealed to me. I gave her an assignment - and she did AMAZING on it. My client said that it sounded much better now (her bi-weekly newsletter), and she appreciated the time taken to look it over closely. (KC - if I didn't tell you this, I'm sorry. I've been CRAZY this week and you know it!)

I recently gave her a couple of other things to do and the sense of relief that I have that I can just give something over now is great. She's going to start getting more "on the job" training with some other stuff and soon my little eaglet can leave the nest and soar!

I'm sure she'll do amazing things, and I am happy that I can help someone the way I got help last year when I started out.

The internship program has produced some great VA's, and its a stellar program. Everyone knows it! Patty does an awesome, amazing job with them, and once we can clone her - life will be marvelous! :blink:

So, my advice to you, Julia - network, learn, ask questions, and network some more. Even if you just drop by for an hour to networking on Wednesdays - and contribute to the discussions - that'll give everyone a great sense of who you are.

Good luck!

Yes, Julia - networking starts at 7:00 p.m. Eastern and there's usually a seminar of some kind before at 6:00. There's a good group that usually hang around and network.

Candy and Pat are usually around for the whole thing, but that's okay. We just tie them up in the corner and throw chocolate at them. Or wine. :P

Come on by some Wednesday nite. Last night was the Awesome Birthday Bash with prizes for everyone!

RFPs are part of the VAinsider and VAC packages offered here. We have access to all the work requests that come in here. A post will pop up requesting project or retainer work. Those that have access can apply to be considered for the position or project.

It is a great perk!!!

I'm not at liberty to announce sales or specials here but Tawnya does have a way of sharing great things from time to time. I'd keep my eye open here. You never know when you will find a gem of a present!!!

Definitely stop by for networking on chat nights. Also, once you have your (I believe 50) posts, submit your link to be added to the directory here.

Dana,

Hi! My name is Michelle and I was the one asking the question. It sure is nice to know that everyone comes together at a certain day and time to talk to one another. Is there a certain area that I should go to?

I did go to the Birthday Bash last night. Everyone was really quick at answering all the questions. It was a lot of fun.

I'll see you at the next networking meeting. And I will diffidently check out the seminar at 6:00pm.

Michelle

Yes, Julia - networking starts at 7:00 p.m. Eastern and there's usually a seminar of some kind before at 6:00. There's a good group that usually hang around and network.

Candy and Pat are usually around for the whole thing, but that's okay. We just tie them up in the corner and throw chocolate at them. Or wine. :P

Come on by some Wednesday nite. Last night was the Awesome Birthday Bash with prizes for everyone!

Colleen,

It's nice to know that you can get access to RFP's if you are a VAinsider. I will really think about joining. It's too bad there's not a special going on though- hint, hint Tawnya - lol :thumbup:

Questions - After 50 posts my link will be added to what directory? Is it a directory of VA's? Where do I submit my link?

Thank you for the information.

Michelle

RFPs are part of the VAinsider and VAC packages offered here. We have access to all the work requests that come in here. A post will pop up requesting project or retainer work. Those that have access can apply to be considered for the position or project.

It is a great perk!!!

I'm not at liberty to announce sales or specials here but Tawnya does have a way of sharing great things from time to time. I'd keep my eye open here. You never know when you will find a gem of a present!!!

Definitely stop by for networking on chat nights. Also, once you have your (I believe 50) posts, submit your link to be added to the directory here.

Edited by MichC

Hi Michelle,

Be sure to RSVP for the Birthday Bash and plan to help us celebrate for the next 19 weeks -- through December. There will be prizes, games, and loads of fun. Last evening during the kickoff celebration Tawnya gave away a VAInsider membership [specials do happen] plus many, many more prizes including ebooks, a VAC package, mouse pads, VAdala and so much more.

Don't miss out on all of the fun in celebrating VAnetworking's 5th Anniversary!

RSVP today!

~Ruth

It's been so long since I put my name into the directory here. Here is the VAnetworking directory link http://www.mediamage.com/va/.

I thought this was in the new membership info here. Not sure, it's been awhile. I think that you can be added once you have posted 50 times here. You have to submit your link once you have those 50 posts.

Do a search up top right here at the forum for anything you're searching for. The archives are loaded with great info. Your enthusiasm is great.

Ruth,

I did attend the Birthday Bash last night. It was a lot of fun. Is the fun and games every Wednesday? Looking forward to the next one.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Be sure to RSVP for the Birthday Bash and plan to help us celebrate for the next 19 weeks -- through December. There will be prizes, games, and loads of fun. Last evening during the kickoff celebration Tawnya gave away a VAInsider membership [specials do happen] plus many, many more prizes including ebooks, a VAC package, mouse pads, VAdala and so much more.

Don't miss out on all of the fun in celebrating VAnetworking's 5th Anniversary!

RSVP today!

~Ruth