Kathy C

Creating a table of contents

Well, I've had it trying to follow the help files in MS Word... I am going where I know I will find an answer...the VA forum!

I am trying to create (for once instead of copying another) a table of contents in a MS Word 2003 document.

I tried using the "Headings" but once I look for more than 1 level it goes wacky when it inserts the table. I'd rather try doing it myself but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to create the dotted line so it goes all the way in between the heading and the page number... I know it's probably a simple solution but after trying this for most of the afternoon I am fed up!

Any hints from you experts??? Please?

Yvonne...

What if I am starting from scratch creating the table of contents...meaning I have nothing to highlight. How would I approach this now....

Thanks!

Guest wordprowizard

Hi Kathy,

The screen shots I made that show you how to do it seem to be too large to load here. I've sent you a PM so you can email me and I'll be happy to help you sort it out.

Lynne

THANKS LYNNE !!!

Yes I am shouting, because your simple solution worked so well! So fast and easy too!. I should have posted this here days ago when I realized my attempts were not working.

:yay::yay:

Hi Kathy & Lynne,

Since the rest of us can't benefit from the seeing the screen shots would one of you please share what the steps are to doing this from scratch?

Everyone will benefit should the occasion arise.

Thanks,

~Ruth

Guest wordprowizard

How do I attach the screenshots to a post please?

Guest Pat Z.

I don't think you can Lynne, but if you send them to me at PatZ [at] vanetworking [dot] com I will put them in.

Pat Z

Guest wordprowizard

Thanks Pat and Patty. In trying to upload it just kept trying forever and, I guess as I'm always in such a rush these days, I gave up. I've emailed them to you Pat and the email took several minutes to go. I'm on a "light" DSL which suits at the moment but I'll have to go to high speed as I ramp up the business. Hope this workaround will be helpful.

Lynne

Hey All,

I hadn't noticed all this follow up - I had been so excited to get it done! The main addition to Lynne's info that was not covered int he help files anywhere was this : going into options and un-clicking outline levels.

Once I did that it worked smooth as molasses!

And now that I know folks are really interested in how you solve your problems - next time I will detail the solution if I get it offline! Sorry. I was kind of figuring I was alone in my inabilities. :-)

Guest Pat Z.

Hey Kathy -

As much as I *think* I know, I always learn something new in this forum. ;)

Pat Z