Tawnya Sutherland

Wordpress Update Version 2.6.3

Does anyone know of this bug with Wordpress update 2.6.3?

I just uploaded it to a clients site and this is now what my admin panel looks like which is odd. I was going to update all the other clients' sites but not until I find out if this is a bug or a template issue?

Attached is a screen shot of the panel.

word.jpg

I just added the WordPress 2.6.3 to my website as a new blog last weekend.

Virtually @ Eight-Twenty-Two

My dashboard doesn't have the bulleted list of tasks, but the tabs as usual. I put it on four sites with four different themes and had the same dashboard.

Can you compare the CSS with other blogs? Try a different theme?

some times the new files just dont extract properly form the zip file... solution...

download zip from wp site.

upload to server and extract in a folder within your current wp folder

remove old wp files from current wp folder

drag new wp files from new folder into current wp folder (DO NOT drag wp-content folder or wp-config file)

delete new (extracted) folder

done

some times the new files just dont extract properly form the zip file... solution...

download zip from wp site.

upload to server and extract in a folder within your current wp folder

remove old wp files from current wp folder

drag new wp files from new folder into current wp folder (DO NOT drag wp-content folder or wp-config file)

delete new (extracted) folder

done

So overwriting won't work, you are saying to just delete all old files and add new ones? Could it be her template she is using? Maybe I will first see if changing that screws anything up. This is a friends jewelery site at www.moltengems.ca

That gives me chills! I bet I would risk having duplicate posts; deleting after the fact!

It seems as if I recall getting cold feet (winter mood = cold feet, chills == but it is all mental) on updating a version of WordPress on one of my hosted blogs.

They had me go into the Mysql database to save and backup, then change the version, then re-publish. It was a day when that concept wouldn't 'compute', so I chickened out.

That gives me chills! I bet I would risk having duplicate posts; deleting after the fact!

It seems as if I recall getting cold feet (winter mood = cold feet, chills == but it is all mental) on updating a version of WordPress on one of my hosted blogs.

They had me go into the Mysql database to save and backup, then change the version, then re-publish. It was a day when that concept wouldn't 'compute', so I chickened out.

Does anyone know of this bug with Wordpress update 2.6.3?

I just uploaded it to a clients site and this is now what my admin panel looks like which is odd. I was going to update all the other clients' sites but not until I find out if this is a bug or a template issue?

Attached is a screen shot of the panel.

I have just heard that the 2.7 version will be out any day, does anyone know how bugs with 2.6.3 will affect that?

I upgraded The Legacy Gardens today and carefully saved the database a couple different ways. It worked perfectly, but I didn't get rid of the update messages, because now it wants me to upgrade to 2.6.5

I just learned how to add themes and widgets and plug-ins, now it is time to upgrade again?

I have KC Matters hosted with GoDaddy and used their pushbutton installation last year. (Well, almost 2 yrs ago now, time just flies, Schzam) I haven't figured out how to upgrade there and there are bugs in it. I learned today, that I can post, but while things look okay, I keep getting error messages.

Tawnya, I agree with Chris. It looks like a file uploaded incorrectly. It's not a big deal, it happens, and can be fixed.

Judy, these files are not the database files. Those should still be ok. Just make sure you are backing up your database often and keep a copy of it in a safe place such as Carbonite or an external hard drive - or both if you are really paranoid.

Crystal, I think I am calling too many things a database. When I wanted to do the update, I logged into the host, got into the admin part of the mysql database and exported.

I also went to the export part of the WordPress blog and exported to Excel.

Was there something else I could lose? My host says they backup frequently. Another developer claims they lost stuff for her, but I think she panicked and destroyed stuff too.

I've been cooking and computing too much tonight!

Judy, I have not used the export feature inside the admin panel but I do indeed backup through the MySQL database.

Because the MySQL database only stores some of the data such as posts, comments, and other administrative function data what I like to do at random intervals (probably should do it more often) is to login through FTP and FTP everything over to backup disk.

To make things simple the key items you want to keep safe are the wp config file and the wp content folder. The wp config file is one of those loose straggling files. The wp content folder is one of the three main folders. The wp content folder contains the uploads folder and the theme folder. This will especially be useful if you have customized your theme in any way.

There is a decent plugin available Wordpress-Automatic-Upgrade/. It also upgrades all of your out of date plugins as well. It allows you to save the database file.

I still recommend doing the installs and backups manually especially for those who offer blog design and maintenance as this allows you the opportunity to become familiar with the files and really get to know all the ins/outs. There is a lot to learn!

Thank you, Frances! That was incredibly enlightening. To this point, I've not got any original theme material, but I have learned how to add themes and plugins. A file of those things saved could save me from trying to remember which ones.

That leaves me the posts and photos. Those could be exported and re-imported. To date I have only done manual updates. The WP forum just scared the wits out of me, but installing the newer versions on new blogs made me want them on the older ones too, so I am gradually working on updating.

I've set up a couple blogs for people who aren't utilizing them yet. Last night, I couldn't get the database that worked so smoothly a few days ago to accept new stuff. May have been the Internet because FileZilla wouldn't work for me either. Since there were no posts to be lost, I just changed databases. I have one 'secret' blog that I experiment with and I may try importing stuff there to see if how that works. As I understand it, if I changed databases, I would definitely not take the posts, etc. with me. Stressing that on a blog where I have been quite active, I would advise me to walk away from it for a little while. Just with the one last night, I had told them I was adding some themes. They haven't done squat with the project, but paranoid me suspected that they would look as soon as I said something and I wanted the stuff to be there.

I've still not figured out how to make the Apache thing work to be able to see this stuff offline.