maplewoodva

Can you find the email you want -- when you want it?

Email Organization  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Retrieving emails can be time consuming for some.

When the email content/conversation changes to a new topic it's easy to change the subject line to reflect the change AND still keep everything together in one thread. Then months, weeks, days, or even minutes later when you need to recall a specific email you'll have it at your fingertips.

Take a moment to participate in the poll and then share your email efficiency techniques with others. You may hold the secret to helping someone streamline their own efforts.

Thanks in advance,

~Ruth

I put a lot of mileage on the search aspect of my emails.

• the ones popped into Outlook
  • gmail
  • yahoo
Gmail keeps everything in a 'thread' I'm not sure how I like that; I guess it ranks with "this phone call may be recorded for training purposes." which is French for "if you melt down, we will have a record of it". It makes a person careful what is written about anyone who might get the entire thread! I have one associate who gets bogged down in the tabs when we're working with a large list and gets frustrated.

Occasionally, I do change or add a bit to the subject line, for the recipient, more than for myself because we've been going re,re,re,re all day.

I use folders a great deal. I try to get rules to work to presort for my folders. I have two laptops that sort beautifully and one cpu that balks. one xp cpu and one xp laptop and one vista laptop.

I agree with you Judy.

Sometimes I can't stand seeing a long line RE:'s. So I change the subject line to reflect what that email is about.

I have a folder for each of my clients, an advertising folder, and a "prospects" folder, which is communication between me and potential clients. I find this great for organizational purposes because if I need to reference back to a previous email from a certain client, I just go into their folder.

~Lauren Ambrose

Ruth,

I color code items in my inbox so I know where to look for the most important, the soon-to-expire, and the temporary-but-important stuff. Before I file an e-mail away by client/vendor/membership name, I change the subject line so it includes not only a subject but also action taken/to be taken, any expiration or deadline date, and notes to self.

Debbie Lynn

I color code and use folders. This really helps me stay organized.

Yes, I keep every email, and file them. And no, I do not color code them or change the subject line. Why...? Simple, I would be totally lost! :blink:

All of my emails are by person/customers/friends/etc., then if needed filed with sub-folders. Now, as long as the amount of emails received do not go crazy...I am able to keep track.

Now, on the other hand, I have one customer with whom I have been working for the past 6 months or so. So, how do I file this? By subject, with a "pending file" and a "etc. file".

Needless to say that I have the pending file on paper also!

If my Outlook died ... I don't even want to go there...

Thanks Ruth for the survey...made me think about my filling system ...LOL

All the best.

Elenora

I file my email in folders. I use email rules to auto file some, but many I like to just go through and either read, file or delete. I clean my email out on Fridays unless I have some time earlier in the week.

I change subject lines where appropriate. I wish others would as well!

I delete other people's email addresses in forwards, and I delete all the advertising and signatures at the end if I forward or reply.

Thanks, Ruth!

Tracey

I use Gmail and love it. Although I keep all my email organized into folders, their search capabilities make it very easy to find older emails. As a web designer, I like how Gmail groups all of the emails of a particular discussion together. It saves me a lot of time since I don't have to search for all of the project details in 20-30 different emails. Everything is right there in a single grouping.

I believe VAs really need to be organized especially in terms of emails - be it owned by the Clients or the VA itself. It is (most of the time) their way of communication so VAs must know where important emails are located and how they can be easily searched even after years.