Sign in to follow this  
virtualassistlauren

Payments from Clients

Hi all,

This is the first time I'm having this issue. I have a new client that got her first invoice from me and it was due on the 15th. I know she received it because she acknowledged that she did, but I haven't gotten payment from her and she is ignoring any communications from me regarding the payment. I only worked 3 hours for her, but still, she should pay me the money owed to me for services rendered thus far.

I'm getting kind of leary about her as well because she said about a year ago she had a virtual assistant who all of a sudden told her she couldn't assist her anymore. I'm wondering if this is because of payment issues.

How long do you wait for those of you who have clients on the hourly billing system before you would instill any sort of "late" charge?

Thanks,

Lauren Ambrose

I am sorry you are going through this unfortunately i am still waiting on payment from a client (services rendered in August) i have changed my payment plans and do not offer payg ---i also sent a letter/invoices owed via certified mail

i would continue to try and receive your payment

good luck

Hi all,

This is the first time I'm having this issue. I have a new client that got her first invoice from me and it was due on the 15th. I know she received it because she acknowledged that she did, but I haven't gotten payment from her and she is ignoring any communications from me regarding the payment. I only worked 3 hours for her, but still, she should pay me the money owed to me for services rendered thus far.

I'm getting kind of leary about her as well because she said about a year ago she had a virtual assistant who all of a sudden told her she couldn't assist her anymore. I'm wondering if this is because of payment issues.

How long do you wait for those of you who have clients on the hourly billing system before you would instill any sort of "late" charge?

Thanks,

Lauren Ambrose

I don't think you can start accumulating late fees until the invoice is 30 days past due.

I hope you dropped this cilent, or at least start collecting a retainer up front, or get them to pre-purchase the hours from you. That way THEY'RE obligated to use them.

I do see that alot of the VAs on here use the retainer system. I might have to start implementing that because of this client. I'm thinking I might drop her, but I have a lot of potentials and would like to see if they pan out to the real thing because I need all the clients I can get! I'm sure everyone is in that situation though, especially with the economy today.

Thanks for the advice and I will keep you updated....hopefully over the weekend she will do something about it, since I tend to get more communication from her weekends than during the week.

~Lauren Ambrose

So glad you received payment! I have to say after reading these posts that so far I feel I am very fortunate. I'm new to this business and only have had 2 clients but they have been fantastic. I charge by the hour with a 2 hour minimum paid in advance. I also charge for out of pocket expenses. My first client was pro bono but she insisted on paying the 2 hour advance. The other client was always saying to let him know when I wanted a check even though our contract stated payment was expected once the project was completed. These clients are neither relatives nor friends, they found me on the Internet. Both have said they have other projects and will be contacting me soon. Am I lucky or what?

I forgot to mention, my first client paid when she returned the contract and the other paid within 3 days of receiving an invoice.

Virginia

Unless the client has disappeared and no longer wants your services or wants you to complete a project already started, stopping service until payment is made almost ALWAYS works ;)

Karri

Guest Haley

I also recommend stating your terms up front including when any late fees will start accumulating and what they will be.

The great thing about working for businesses is that they have clients too... a quick mention in your final email that phone calls will be going out to their clients indicating that money is owed fixes the problem asap.

And for those that are worried that under contract you can't do that, the contract is uasually already been broken as payment has not been received.

Cheers,

Chris.

It is also important to remember that sometimes it happens - you just won't get paid. It sucks, but you have to chalk it up to the cost of doing business. Most of mine pay me in advance, but sometimes you have to show good faith as much as they are - they are trusting YOU to do the work if they pay it all upfront too.

Just don't do any more work for them if you aren't getting paid or if they are avoiding you. I know when a client is avoiding me, it's time to halt things. When they say "yes, I know, I'm waiting on a payment from Smith Company" that they are good for it. Plus, sometimes you just know.

I think this problem isn't nearly as prevalent as people seem to think. I've only been stiffed a few times in the past 5 years and it has always been for under $200.

I am revamping my contract and I was wondering, how do you handle late charges? I mean how much do you charge (flat $$ or percentage) and when do you start charging it? This has never been an issue for me (barring one glaring exception) but I want to cover my bases (and my butt) just in case.

I am revamping my contract and I was wondering, how do you handle late charges? I mean how much do you charge (flat $$ or percentage) and when do you start charging it? This has never been an issue for me (barring one glaring exception) but I want to cover my bases (and my butt) just in case.

Hi

I charge 5% of total invoice after 45 days past due

I only work on a retainer basis, though most clients go over their retainer hours. Payment is due by the 10th of the month. I send out a "friendly reminder" on the 8th of the month to those clients who have not paid as of yet (usually only one or two). Then, very rarely, if someone has not paid by the 10th, I send out a reminder on the 10th.

All my clients know that I stop all work if payment is not received by the 10th, there will be a $20 "rebilling" fee, plus 1.5% late fee.

I've been in business for five years and only had one client that was late on a payment, and that was only because she knew I was letting her go. I think she paid me by the 15th.

Retainer really is the way to go. Most of my clients have been with me 3-5 years.