Irish Newbie living in Canada

Hi everyone

My name's Gillian and I've just sent off for the VAC to get my VA business up and running. Now that my nearly 2 year old daughter seems to need me less each day, I've decided to put my 20 years of Executive Assistance to use and still be here for her when she needs her cuddles!

I know there is a bumpy road ahead but I'm ready for it (will remember to read that statement in a few months as I'm pulling my hair out!)

This networking forum is very informative, I'm really looking forward to using it and will probably ask so many questions that everyone will be hoping I go on VA maternity leave again soon :vababy2:

Take care

Gillian :shamrock:

Welcome Gillian and good luck to you. I have discovered that you cannot ask too many questions on this board. Everyone is very nice and when you are frustrated and pulling out your hair, these people know just what to say to you.

Happy travels!

Guest Louise

Hi Gillian

You don't say if you are based in Ireland? Ca bhfuil tu i gconai?

I'm in Ireland, it'd be great to talk to you on the boards if you are in Ireland too!

Louise

Welcome Gillian and good luck to you. I have discovered that you cannot ask too many questions on this board. Everyone is very nice and when you are frustrated and pulling out your hair, these people know just what to say to you.

Happy travels!

Thanks, that's really nice to know. I did get that impression when I looked at the forum. I've joined other forums and said Hi and didn't get any response - I'm not needey, honest!

Hi Gillian

You don't say if you are based in Ireland? Ca bhfuil tu i gconai?

I'm in Ireland, it'd be great to talk to you on the boards if you are in Ireland too!

Louise

Hi Louise

No, living in Canada now and should have stated that I'm Northern Irish so I haven't got a clue what you just said :addohno: Once worked with a guy who tried to teach me to speak gaelic but, unfortunately, I was a worthless cause. Still, a beautiful language. I lived in Belfast for 28 years and then moved to East Yorkshire before emigrating to Canada. Where are you from in Ireland and how is the VA business there?

Good to hear from you.

Gillian x

Welcome to VAnetworking Gillian!

If you click the link at the bottom of my signature line, you can download the VAnetworking Kickstart Package that's filled with tons of information to assist you around the site.

Good luck with your business!

Hi Gillian

Welcome to the forum. What part of Canada are you in? I'm in toronto.

Welcome to VAnetworking Gillian!

If you click the link at the bottom of my signature line, you can download the VAnetworking Kickstart Package that's filled with tons of information to assist you around the site.

Good luck with your business!

Thanks Patty, it's very useful.

Hi Gillian

Welcome to the forum. What part of Canada are you in? I'm in toronto.

Thanks Maria. We've just moved to Cochrane from Calgary. Trying to get used to living on top of a hill - not used to houses moving in the wind!

Guest Louise

Hi Gillian, Ca bhfuil tu i gconai means Where are you living? it's pronounced 'Caw will too e go-nee'.

If you bump into your colleague again you can say 'Conas ata tu' (Cunnas a-taw too? How are you?)

Non-Irish speakers will note that Irish is not at all spelt like it's pronounced, much to the annoyance of people trying to learn it!

I'm in Dublin, by the way, and things are trundling along ok.

Best of luck

Hi Gillian, Ca bhfuil tu i gconai means Where are you living? it's pronounced 'Caw will too e go-nee'.

If you bump into your colleague again you can say 'Conas ata tu' (Cunnas a-taw too? How are you?)

Non-Irish speakers will note that Irish is not at all spelt like it's pronounced, much to the annoyance of people trying to learn it!

I'm in Dublin, by the way, and things are trundling along ok.

Best of luck

Hi Louise

Irish sounds a lot easier to pronounce than to spell. I love Dublin, although it's been over 10 years since I last visited (on my hen weekend!) I still enjoy going home to visit Ireland. How long have you been running your business?

Gillian

Guest Louise

No Gillian, I haven't been operating long, only a short time, though I've been around on the boards a bit longer.

The next time you're in Dublin look me up and we'll have a coffee in Bewley's on Grafton St. ;)

Louise

No Gillian, I haven't been operating long, only a short time, though I've been around on the boards a bit longer.

The next time you're in Dublin look me up and we'll have a coffee in Bewley's on Grafton St. ;)

Louise

Think I'll probably be doing the same but it's a great insight to what's ahead.

Well, now I just want to go home, that brought loads of memories flooding back to me. I'll hold you to that.

Take care

Gillian

Guest Arnie

Hi Gillian,

On behalf of Tawnya and myself I would like to welcome you to VAnetworking. As you have already noticed, the ladies here are not shy, and love to answer questions. In fact sometime I don't even need to ask, and I'm already being told!!! :blink:

Arnie

Hi Gillian,

On behalf of Tawnya and myself I would like to welcome you to VAnetworking. As you have already noticed, the ladies here are not shy, and love to answer questions. In fact sometime I don't even need to ask, and I'm already being told!!! :blink:

Arnie

Thanks Arnie and Tawnya

Everyone has been very welcoming and I'm sure they'll be very supportive once I receive the VAC and ask 100 questions (per day!)

It is an excellent networking forum.

Take care

Gillian