Irish Newbie living in Canada

Welcome Gillian!

:welcome:

When we were expecting our son, we were discussing names (we didn't know he was a boy until 2 days before he was born). I've always loved the name Siobhann, so said to my husband (we were at a family birthday function), "How about Morgan Siobhann" and he said, "Its pretty, but I'm not into the name Morgan for a girl (I was hoping for a girl, never knowing what fun boys can be!). Since its pronounced Chev-onn, my father-in-law asked how to spell it, so I wrote it out. He took a look at it and said, "Everyone's going to call her Siboham!"

But - we had a boy, whose name is John Laurent Fortier (I won the battle over John vs. Jeanne, which my husband wanted for the full French thing), who we call Jack, because he looks like a Jack. The Laurent is for my husband's grandfather who had passed away a few months before and kept telling me to "take care of his new great-grandson". I should have listened to Grampa and I would have known for sure.

I'm still not sure if you pronounce celtic with a hard c or a soft c (s) sound. The standard Gaelic welcome (which I've forgotten) threw me for a loop FOREVER! I now know its pronounced Cade Male Felcha (but I can't remember how to spell it). I'd love to know Gaelic just for the heck of it!

Aw, now you got me goin'!

We didn't have any Irish lingo in our fam, although the Grt.Grt. Grandparents, Gishwiller came right to Iowa. My grandma to her last day in 94 yrs, said Potatoes like Pllllllatas. I don't know how to spell it, but it sounded like a long, rolled "L". I don't think it was the Irish, but she also called peonies "pineys" and her piano "pieana".

Her paternal side was French, last migration from New York to London Ontario, then back to the states. When people ask and I tell them I'm mostly French and Irish, they look at one another and roll their eyes. Read my shoulder shrug!

Welcome all of your newbies who've been on this thread. You will learn lots, but have lots to share with us too!

Guest Louise

Diana - Cead mile failte [Cayd mee-la fawl-cha] - you have hidden talents, you're pretty good as Gaielge!!!!!

It's so funny hearing pronounciations of Irish names.

My good friend's name is Siobhan (Shi-vawn) and whenever she's abroad she's driven demented by people mis-pronouncing her name. Normally we pronounce 'c' as a hard 'k' in Irish.

Judy, don't know where Pllllatas came from? The Irish for potatoes is Pratai (maybe a rolled 'r' could have sounded like an 'l' ???? Your grandmother was of Irish origin, right? Piano is the same in Irish, though a person with a strong Dublin accent will say piana ...

My sister went out with a London cockney man a few years back, and she asked him how he would pronounce Báidín Fheilimí ('Phelim's Little Boat' which is an old Irish folk song) and he said he thought it was 'Baden Failimili' - it's actually Baw-jeen Eye-la-me. We tried not to laugh. Too hard!

Irish lesson over for today. Sorry, Gillian, for hijacking your thread!!!

Diana - Cead mile failte [Cayd mee-la fawl-cha] - you have hidden talents, you're pretty good as Gaielge!!!!!

It's so funny hearing pronounciations of Irish names.

My good friend's name is Siobhan (Shi-vawn) and whenever she's abroad she's driven demented by people mis-pronouncing her name. Normally we pronounce 'c' as a hard 'k' in Irish.

Judy, don't know where Pllllatas came from? The Irish for potatoes is Pratai (maybe a rolled 'r' could have sounded like an 'l' ???? Your grandmother was of Irish origin, right? Piano is the same in Irish, though a person with a strong Dublin accent will say piana ...

My sister went out with a London cockney man a few years back, and she asked him how he would pronounce Báidín Fheilimí ('Phelim's Little Boat' which is an old Irish folk song) and he said he thought it was 'Baden Failimili' - it's actually Baw-jeen Eye-la-me. We tried not to laugh. Too hard!

Irish lesson over for today. Sorry, Gillian, for hijacking your thread!!!

Thanks Judy, Dana and Louise

Don't worry about hijacking the thread. I just never thought I'd have to go onto a VA networking forum to learn Irish but I'm learning :thumbup:

Don't worry about hijacking the thread. I just never thought I'd have to go onto a VA networking forum to learn Irish but I'm learning :thumbup:

Hi Gillian,

Welcome! You never know what you will learn on this forum... anything goes. :P

Hi Gillian,

Welcome! You never know what you will learn on this forum... anything goes. :P

Thanks Sally

It's lovely to know that there are so many people out there willing to help.

Take care

Gillian

Yep - there's no shortage of knowledge here.

Sometimes about things you'd never think you'd learn!

I could do with some Christmas cooking tips :mellow:

I am joking, I'll leave that for another forum.

We've actually covered that topic here, too!

Huh, now I'm really impressed!

What about finding the time to start up your business while also watching Teletubbies with your 2 year old - has that been covered?

Huh, now I'm really impressed!

What about finding the time to start up your business while also watching Teletubbies with your 2 year old - has that been covered?

Guest Louise

How about Rocket Science? maybe Brain Surgery for Beginners?

Guest Louise

Anybody do Metaphysics and the Existential Struggle in the Modern Day Post-Industrial Recessionary Context :wacko:

(and no, I don't even know if that even means anything)