Hi All,

I have 5 prospects that I am currently in communications with (besides my 6 clients I have already). I have been doing my best in following up via e-mails and phone calls, but it seems like they want to use my services, but it's just a matter of them giving me projects to do, which hasn't happened yet. They say they all really need my assistance, but I'm not getting anything from them. Has anyone else had this issue? Also, how often do you follow up with prospects without getting to the point of being a "pain" to them? It's kind of frustrating! :blink:

Thanks!

Lauren Ambrose

Hi Lauren

Know exactly what you mean. I've been talking to a potential client since Sept - even have a signed contract - but have not been given any work yet. We talk every week or so and she seems like a lovely person, great sense of humor, real passion for the things she wants to accomplish but that's it. Frustrating! I can't decide if it's a problem with delegating or if she's over whelmed by the number of things she has on her plate. Hopefully, we can both decide over the holidays where and how we want to continue.

Gladys

I am also in the same boat. I have 3 prospects who say they really need my help and want me to start working with them but have not received any work from them. I am hoping that once the holidays are over, I will start receiving work from them.

Good luck to all of us! :)

Jeanette

Ultimate Virtual Assistants, LLC

How frustrating - I too sometimes feel like I'm being more annoying than helpful when asking for work. The bottom line is: They ASKED you to help!

The only tips I can give are to ask them to keep a word doc / notepad beside them and to write down tasks they repeat hourly, daily, monthly, annually etc. as they do them and set a date to review this list with them?

Alternatively, guesstimate what needs doing and suggest tasks?

Or get them to commit to a certain time each week when they brief in your tasks for the week ahead and outline their goals for the business.

Not ideal any of them if they don't PICK UP THE PHONE!

Sorry!

C

I can totally relate! I've a prospect whom I initially discussed projects with since last October and it's already December. All I can say is that you do your best to follow-up and be diligent in keeping your leads "warm". But don't fall into the trap of having to "win" a bad clients - clients that are not ready to take on VAs as their business partners just because they cannot relinquish control or simply because they themselves are "in the way". :naughty:

So, keep your cool :whistlin: and just try to connect - and if you think you've exhausted every possible way, don't waste your time. As VA's we should always guard against "time wasters". We need to leverage our time for more $$$$ :thumbup:

Just my two cents...

Jocelyn

Jocelyn

I know you're RIGHT!

I know YOU'RE right!

I KNOW you're right!

Thank you. I will wish my 'would be' client a Happy New Year and then I'm moving on.

If she wants my help, she knows where to find me.

Gladys

I know just how you feel, I have a client who calls every week and wants to talk about the things that need to be done and how overwhelmed she is, but when I ask her if she'd like me to do it she just doesn't come out and say yes, she always has a volunteer who says they're going to do it. Tough situation, I know.

Good luck with em!

Sam :)

I have had success with clients who seem a little slower in actually delegating their tasks through MAIL. not email but actual personal-corporate cards. A handwritten personal card to your potential can go a long way. It not shows how you have taken time to hand write a note but also your assertiveness without HAVING to take that CALL you've just placed...try it!

Cindy Sidoruk-DelegationNation

Why not set up a phone appointment with them? Talk to them about what kinds of help they think they need and explain what else you might be able to do. A phone call can go a LONG way. Most of my clients are moved into action by a simple phone call.

Or, if they want to use you but never send anything, call them out of the blue "Hey, I was just following up on our emails and thought I'd give you a ring, is now a good time to talk for a few minutes?". Worst they can do is say they don't have time to talk. Best? You are busy for 10 hours a week ;)

I guess that's one thing I see a lot of VAs missing - the ability to take rejection. It's not personal. The worst that can happen is someone will say "No". And you know what? That's okay!

But yeah, I'd pick up the phone.

Sometimes a gentle prod (or a hard shove) is just what they need to get them started.

I had one that hemmed & hawed, and finally I said to her, "What are three things you have to do that you hate, and that you just don't HAVE to do - it can be done by someone else?"

She made the list (of 18 things) and sent them to me. We started with the 3 at the top of the list and worked our way down. In the year I've worked with her, we've created some processes and systemized some things. Of those 18 things, I'm probably taking care of about 2/3 of them and the remaining ones have either been merged into what I'm doing, or she took back because she wanted to.

Working with clients is an ever-evolving process. I don't think there's one that I'm still doing the same thing for continuously. And that's okay. Growth is good.

It's common to have clients that are either too busy to follow through, too much of a control person to let go, or clients that just don't know when or where to begin.

I use Contact 29 (www.contact29.com) as my drip campaign program. I have created a series of follow-up emails that are sent out every three weeks over a period of 5 years. Every three weeks, the lead will receive an email from me that includes a Nugget. Each Nugget reminds the lead of how my services can help them. It is noting long, only one quick sentence. I also include a promotional coupon every six months to catch their attention. I have had clients that initially contacted me 3 years ago contact me last month and signed up for services. I also keep these leads on my holiday mail out list and will call each periodically to follow-up.

Overall, I remain consistent with the emails and offer value.

You should also consider creating a client assessment form w/checklist. Send it over to the client and have him/her complete it when they get the chance. Assess the information provided and target those areas when marketing or making your follow-up phone calls. Let them know how you can reduce the number of hours they spend completing the task or let them know that if you take over the tasks, how you will compelete it and the benefits they will receive. Show a saving and most clients will not panic over your fees.

Carolyn Nelson, Carolyn@OnlineREPA.com | NAR Certified REPA | www.OnlineREPA.com | www.Point2Close.com

That's actually two of the first things I do when a potential client contacts me via email. I ask them when we can speak on the phone and I also send them a personal note card with my biz card inside thanking them for their interest. I think that little touch goes a long way.

I am actually thinking of doing the checklist and will definitely be looking into contact29.

I think alot of does have to do with the prospects either having a hard time "letting go" of what they need help with or it can also be that some of them are still new to the whole "virtual" thing and having someone remotely work on their tasks for them.

Thanks for all of the input!

Lauren Ambrose

Laurie,

I'm a visual person and believe that most people are also visual, can only see the success if it is in writing. So with that being said, create a process flow chart showing how each segment of your service can integrate with the functions of their business. Show each how certain task will be completed and routed back (process).

For example, I do a lot of BPO data entry work for realtors. On my website, I have a BPO process chart showing how the process can be completed smoothly. Each lead I receive always refer back to that chart because it explains the entire process and how it will work to benefit each of them clearly.

Carolyn Nelson, Carolyn@OnlineREPA.com | NAR Certified REPA | www.OnlineREPA.com | www.Point2Close.com