virtualassistlauren

Postcard Marketing

Hi all,

I'm guessing alot of you have done this, but how much success have you had with it? I just sent out 100 postcards (the 100 free ones from Vistaprint) and I just ordered another 100. I don't really expect many calls this week because of New Year's but hopefully as 2009 starts up, people will realize the benefit of hiring a VA.

Also, if you've done this, who have you marketed to? I am basically going into the local Chamber directories and getting businesses from there, since I can't afford to join a chamber yet.

Hopefully I will get some leads from this! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lauren Ambrose

Edited by fyerfli1983

hi

i am planning on marketing starting next week. Since people are stil in the slump of the holiday

I have heard positive results from using post cards

May i ask what kind of info did you place on your post card

Cathy

Reay Solutions

www.reaysolutions.com

Hi Cathy,

I basically just put a quick overview of my services and directed them to either go to my site or call me. I also put on the postcard "Free Phone Consulation if you mention you received this postcard"; so they think they are getting an incentive. Never hurts to do that once in a while!

~Lauren Ambrose

I tried postcards early on. I believe I sent out about 200. Received 1 response but she did not become a client. I have found networking on line and word of mouth to be more effective.

Hello,

I agree that networking events (where you can display your marketing materials) and word of mouth work tremendously. I have not used the postcards in my business but did work with a RE agent who lodged a postcard campaign. It was costly and did not net a client. Actually, quite a few cards were returned because of bad addresses.

I have looked up events at my local YWCA. There is a home-based business workshop in February and a networking event afterwards. They also host monthly luncheons for professional women. I plan to invest time and money in these events as it allows face-to-face contact.

Just a thought. Much success to you in 2009!

Regina

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about sending out a postcard campaign as well. I may still give it a try.

Thanks for the advice. I have been networking online and signing up on all the networking sites I can find (Ladies who Launch, LinkedIn, etc.) I had one bite from LinkedIn and he will be using my services in the upcoming weeks. I have been in contact with him since October. I would love to get out and network locally around where I live, however it's so expensive to join local BNIs and Chambers that I just can't afford it right now. I do give my biz card to friends and family for them to give to anyone they know who might need a VA.

Good luck to everyone in 2009 and h appy New Year!

Lauren Ambrose

Thanks for the advice. I have been networking online and signing up on all the networking sites I can find (Ladies who Launch, LinkedIn, etc.) I had one bite from LinkedIn and he will be using my services in the upcoming weeks. I have been in contact with him since October. I would love to get out and network locally around where I live, however it's so expensive to join local BNIs and Chambers that I just can't afford it right now. I do give my biz card to friends and family for them to give to anyone they know who might need a VA.

Good luck to everyone in 2009 and h appy New Year!

Lauren Ambrose

I can definitely relate about the money issue. The YWCA events I found only cost $20 for the workshop and $30 for the luncheon events. Also, I picked up my first client by volunteering my services. The client is a non-profit organization and they were in need of a virtual assistant. I found them on volunteermatch.org. I answered an ad and I have been working with them for over a month now. I am also on their Board of Directors. Plus, I got a great testimonial that I use on my website and they put a link to their website to mine. Free advertising! I never thought answering a volunteer ad would lead to this type of opportunity. Definitely try new marketing ideas, keep a tally of what works and what doesn't and just stay consistent with it. Oh, if you are close to a UPS Store, Mailboxes Etc. or something similar, ask if you may display some of your business cards. Most people who rent mailboxes there are small business owners and they be in need of your services.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

Regina

I'm going to keep going forward with it. I figure if I got one response with the first 100, I can probably get another response with the next hundred. I read in MIchelle Jamison's book "The Virtual Assistant's Guide to Marketing" that the return rate on direct mailings is 1%, which is what I've got so far.

With Vistaprint being only $10.47 with shipping for 100 standard size postcards (with their 100 free promo), I think I can definitely invest that once a month to send out postcards!

Lauren Ambrose

I prefer to network and market my business where the potential clients network. Since I don't market locally, I don't send out post cards, letters, etc.

Many moons ago, I sent out hundreds of post cards. I only received three or so calls out of 500+ and none panned out to be clients. Most of the others gave incentives to others to do what I do as a real estate assistant.

Carolyn Nelson | Carolyn@OnlineREPA.com | www.OnlineREPA.com | www.Point2Close.com | www.REVACoach.com

Edited by QueenCityVA