Candy Beauchamp

Year End Whines and Vents

Okay, most of you guys use QuickBooks, so there's not much that has to be done RIGHT NOW. But there are other year end issues and whines.

Let's hear 'em. What's been the most "omg, I'm going to lose my mind" moment so far?

Mine? Master Builder. I love that software. I do, I started on it 15 years ago when it was a DOS program and I still adore it. The year end closing this year for one particular client nearly sent me screaming to the padded rubber room though... it took 1.75 HOURS for it to process. I had it remove some old data and OMG. It was all I could do not to reboot the machine. I KNEW it was fine and it was supposed to take that long, but seriously... I was wigging out. Just watching those numbers tick was making me crazy.

I still need to order 1099 forms. Oops.

My whine and vent is trying to get a business license for my VA business and the state doesn't know whether or not I should charge sales tax. One person I spoke with said no, another said tax must be charged for persons within the state....what to do. It seems most states don't really have any firm laws about Internet businesses. I explained that I would be receiving 1099s from clients but they really didn't seem to understand that concept as it relates to providing a service within the state.

My whine and vent is trying to get a business license for my VA business and the state doesn't know whether or not I should charge sales tax. One person I spoke with said no, another said tax must be charged for persons within the state....what to do. It seems most states don't really have any firm laws about Internet businesses. I explained that I would be receiving 1099s from clients but they really didn't seem to understand that concept as it relates to providing a service within the state.

[/quote

What about this link I found: http://www.wvtax.gov/technicalAssistanceAdvisories.html

Would this help you at all? I'm not sure how current that information is. Also, you really aren't an "internet business". You are more in the service industry working from a home office. I would think an internet business would be consisting more of selling a product.

Someone within the offices should be able to clear this up for you. Did you try your city's office? Go to them and find out. I never even dealt with the State, come to think of it. I went to the City and the County. Hopefully you will get it cleared up! Good luck to you!

Candy, I'm sorry you had issues. I am glad you got it done - even if it took so long. I always just want the darn computer to hurry up and do it in 10 seconds or less. LOL - Okay. I'm exaggerating a tad!

My whine is just that it is the beginning of the new year and I've told myself since June of LAST year to get in gear with some issues I have pertaining to my business, my life (nothing bad), and blah, blah, blah. I have needed to buckle down and make some true decisions and haven't been able to do so. What is today....January 2nd. STILL I have not. LOL I guess I was thinking back then how easy it would be to make these decisions for myself, but now I am having a difficult time. It's been truly an "OHMIGAWD!" moment - for months now because I haven't been able to get a grip!

I'm going to pass the cheese, now....my whine glass is now half-empty. Thank you very much, Candy, for letting me do that. I need to chug it down and move on! LOL

Edited by MichelleLynn

Thanks, Michelle, this really clears up some things for me. I've tried talking to the city/county but they don't seem to have a clue. I believe I saw a there are couple of other VAs in this fourm who are in WV so maybe I'll contact them to see how they handle the tax situation.

Jenny

Guest Pat Z.

My whine.... comingling funds - LOL!

Enough said? Now, I'm going to have a real glass of wine ;)

I'm going to "shout" this....

AMEN PAT! :soapbox:

Sometimes we can't help it. Sometimes we have spouses who don't understand "business is business" and "personal is personal."

Then again, we leave all of our bookkeeping to the end of the year, so we should just shut up about our spouses.

But we mean well. And we're nice people. Honest. :wub:

Aha! We caught you! All bookkeepers start signing her up for as much spam lists as you can find! ;)

Actually, Sole Props that do it isn't as bad. It's a pain in the neck and we want to strangle you, but I know what Pat is talking about. She's talking about people that have multiple companies and a personal file that commingle all their funds together, whatever company has money, pays the bills that month. HUGE headache.

Doesn't mean we forgive you, Leanne... let us have your husband's email address and no one gets hurt.

Doesn't mean we forgive you, Leanne... let us have your husband's email address and no one gets hurt.

Uh oh... Candy's draggin' out her big ole can of Whoop Ass and its only January 3rd.

We're doomed. Doomed I say!

:P

My worst offender is INCORPORATED and pays ALL their personal bills (mortgage, utilities, kids' xmas, car payments for ALL vehicles, groceries, etc.) out of their business accounts. And yes, this same person has 2 different companies (although they do use the same tax ID number, but they have 2 different QB accounts) and whichever one has money pays the bills. :damnputer:

Our end of financial year is in June so the Aussies have a little bit of breathing space. My vent is about the client who comes to you with urgent bookkeeping to be done (we have quarterly Business Activity Statements here in Oz) so you shuffle other client work and get it done only to have a few questions to be answered before you can run reports. So you ask. And you wait. And you wait.... then when the deadline comes and goes, the client panics and tries to put the blame back onto you (aka ME!).

Not my fault if after stalkerish emails and phone calls you don't have the info to me on time.

Pfft

LOL at the "stalkerish" --- it's so so so true! Sometimes I feel like I"m stalking these people. I call, I leave messages, I text them, I email them. I pretty much do everything except call their mommy! I have called their spouses though. *laugh*

Dude, you hired me to help you... answer the gosh darn phone!

I know this is the bookkeeping forum, but you asked for whines & vents, so here's mine:

Client sends "special announcement" wording to me to send out via Constant Contact to her database, which is outside the normal newsletter rotation. Okay, I do it, send it to her for review/approval & nothing comes back. Two days later I get this:

Client: "Why didn't the special announcement go out?"

Me: "You never sent back final approval."

Client: "That NEEDED to go out the day I sent it to you."

Me: "Nothing in your email says that. AND - you know how I operate by this time. You send me the draft, I prepare it and send it to you for review and approval. Then you HAVE to send me an email telling me that its finalized in your opinion. This covers me AND you."

Client: "Well, it was final when I sent it to you, you just needed to put it in there."

Me: "Constant Contact does not keep the formatting you put into your drafts, which is why I like for you to check what I've done for another set of eyes, because I'm human, I can miss something."

Client: "So my announcement hasn't gone out?"

Me: "When you send me an email with final approval, it will go out."

That was Friday. I'm still waiting on that email.

Grrrrrrrr :angry::wacko::forkoff::whip:

Oops! This IS the bookkeeping forum....soooo sorry! I didn't even see that. I saw the opportunity for the whine and jumped all over it! My apologies!

My clients are usually pretty good, but I do have the whines there from time-to-time. I can relate to Dana's story about the special announcement Something similiar happened to me like that. I just hate when there is a lack of communication on something. That is a big peeve of mine.

Anyone need anymore whine....I'm heading back to the frig for more cheese.... :)

I have a client who neglected to file personal property returns for 2 years in their state. The company has now been forfeited to the state as a result of the non-filings. As I have only worked with this client for about 6 weeks, I had no idea as to what had been done or hadn't done. I spent 2 days researching what happened and then completing the tax forms. It's up to the client to file them and pay the filing fee now. That was my vent! Thanks for the opportunity to get that off my chest. My family could not understand my mood these last few days!

Regina