QueenCityVA

Copying Website with a MySQL Database

Hi All!

I need to copy a current website with a MySQL database, add it to the same hosting package but copy the site with database to a new domain name. What would be the easiest and less painful way to accomplish this task without causing any problems with the current website?

Basically, there would be two domains with the same information and database initially until the client decides on the content he wants to change on the second domain. So instead in rewriting the information, he is going to use one domain as a foundation for another.

Carolyn Nelson, Carolyn@OnlineREPA.com | 877 - 717 - 4491 | www.OnlineREPA.com | www.Point2Close.com | www.REVACoach.com | www.REVAProfessionals.com

My quick and dirty suggestion would be to resave the website under another file name and publish the same content to both domains.

Each domain needs a MySQL database which is specified on the acknowledgement file. (On a WP file, it is the config.php.)

If they are in the same hosting package, each domain will still have its own destination. That would be the crucial thing. The ftp will read: ftp://www.domainone/coach for one and the other might be ftp://www.domaintwo/teacher

I don't use FileZilla for this, but publish it all using the FTP option on my web software. After the first time, I only have to publish changes. When I don't have the website on my computer, I publish from the internet to the computer instead of from the computer to the internet, which draws everything onto my computer.

Thanks Judy but what do I need to do with the database to make sure it works properly? It is a Joomla website and the database is very large.

Carolyn Nelson, Carolyn@OnlineREPA.com | 877 - 717 - 4491 | www.OnlineREPA.com | www.Point2Close.com | www.REVACoach.com | www.REVAProfessionals.com

Oh boy! I just had this conversation with someone else. I am not a Joomla person, plain and simple. It should still work, but you know how "should" works. I would contact the host and ask them to help you move or copy that site to the new domain.

But, to repeat, I have trouble getting Joomla to work at all. I hope someone else here how uses it will chime in to give you some real solid help.

There is an active forum at Joomla that might give you some suggestions as well.

LOL, Thanks Judy. I'm not a Joomla or database person in anyway. I'm waiting for the host to call me back. I'm tempted to backup everything and upload it on another server just to see what happens. The worst thing that couple possibly happen is that it won't work. LOL

Non database sites seem so easy. I asked another techie and the explanation process seemed so much easier if I was watching paint dry.

I have made it my mission to learn PHP and MySQL in 2009.

Carolyn

A couple years ago, I made a mess of a couple of my 'plain' websites because of that business with the destination. If you don't have package hosting, it never becomes a problem.

A tech at the host spent longer than he should have untangling everything. I kept offering to scrub and republish and he said "No, I want to see if I can figure this out." He did and I proposed to him.

A couple years ago, I made a mess of a couple of my 'plain' websites because of that business with the destination. If you don't have package hosting, it never becomes a problem.

A tech at the host spent longer than he should have untangling everything. I kept offering to scrub and republish and he said "No, I want to see if I can figure this out." He did and I proposed to him.

Moving a Joomla site can be a little bit tricky because of the configuration changes that need to be made. There are lots of tutorials out there though that guide you through the process if you do a quick search.

Did you marry him Judy?

Carolyn

Moving a Joomla site can be a little bit tricky because of the configuration changes that need to be made. There are lots of tutorials out there though that guide you through the process if you do a quick search.

Hi Leanne,

I found a few sites and will review those sites in the morning. The common problem I have found with most of the sites is that it is written in a format for the intermediate and advance users. It is never written in dummy format.

Thanks.

Carolyn

Hi Leanne,

I found a few sites and will review those sites in the morning. The common problem I have found with most of the sites is that it is written in a format for the intermediate and advance users. It is never written in dummy format.

Thanks.

Carolyn

If you run into trouble, just shoot me an email -- I'd be glad to help. leanne (at) tinyqueen (dot) com

Guest Pat Z.

My site is Joomla, originally set up by a friend of my brother since I know nothing about websites. For all you newbies, you didn't hear me moan and complain for months about the fact that I couldn't change anything (and said friend can no longer be found).

Leanne helped me get acquainted and showed me around a little in my cpanel (and I offered to give her my first born). She refused the first born (good thing), but was a tremendous help.

OK - a year later and I'm still trying to get it moved to WordPress ;), but could not have kept it this long without Leanne's help.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Aha, a Joomla topic - perfect for me! <grin>

Here's what you'll want to do... I have a blog post about it at my Joomlawiz.com site...

First, you want to create the new location for the 2nd version of the site. If it's using a different domain name or subdomain, you can probably set that up via the hosting control panel. I don't recommend installing a new version on the same domain as it gets wonky - if you have a Joomla on 'www.sample.com' and on 'www.sample.com/secondsite' - trust me, nightmare city.

So, the new domain is "parked" on a particular folder on the web host now - accessible by FTP. We want to copy all of the files and folders from the original site to this new sites folder. There are several ways to do this - the hardest way is to copy all of them via FTP to your hard drive then FTP them back up to the new folder. Ugh. Sometimes you can use the web host control panel to create a zip file of everything to download - makes it a bit faster.

The easier way to do this is using SSH - Secure Shell - which is like accessing a server with a command prompt kind of dialog. I use software called PuTTy. (If you want better help, just email me callin at virtuallin dot com) You might find SSH way too complicated...

Now we want to make a backup of the MySQL database. Many hosts allow you to use built in software called PhpMyAdmin - GoDaddy has this, as do many others. If you can login to the original database with PhpMyAdmin, you'll want to select the database in question, (you'll see a whole list of all the tables) click the 'Export' tab at the top, hit the 'Export all' link to select all of the tables, click the SQL radio button, check the 'Save as file' box and give the export file a name in the box below. Now hit 'Export' and you'll download an .sql file with the database tables inside. Locate the file on your hard drive and open it in notepad. Often you can right click on the file and select 'Open with..' You can also open the file with Dreamweaver - makes it easier to read.

At the top you'll see several lines - we want to cut out the ones specific to the old MySQL server - it looks something like this:

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump

-- version 2.11.9.3

-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net

--

-- Host: sql.site.com

-- Generation Time: Jan 09, 2009 at 10:35 AM

-- Server version: 5.0.67

-- PHP Version: 5.2.6

--

-- Database: `nameofthedatabase`

--

-- -----------------

Delete all of those lines, save the file and close it out.

Now we need to create a new database through the website host. Many control panels will walk you through this. Make a note of the database name, user name, password and server name (we'll need this later).

Log into the new MySQL database via PhpMyAdmin - be sure you've pulled the menu box to select the new one as some hosts display all of your databases via a pull-down down box. Once it's selected, click the 'Import' tab at the top - use the browse button to locate the database file and hit 'import'. Wait and it will tell you if there are any errors or if it's successful.

Finally, we need to update Joomla's Configuration.php file - if you downloaded all of the Joomla files earlier, you can find it in the main folder - open it in Notepad or Dreamweaver. We'll need to change several lines in this file:

$mosConfig_absolute_path = '/public/path/newsite';

$mosConfig_cachepath = '/public/path/newsite/cache';

$mosConfig_db = 'database_name';

$mosConfig_host = 'database_host';

$mosConfig_live_site = 'http://www.newsite.com';

$mosConfig_password = 'database_password';

$mosConfig_user = 'database_username';

Once you've made these changes, save - upload to the new site's main folder and you should be done!

If anyone ever has Joomla questions, just pop me an email! Anytime!

Thank you Cheryl for your indepth instructions. I apologize for the late response.

On another note, please email me when you get the chance, I would like to discuss another Joomla project with you.

Cordially,

Carolyn