Creating WordPress site in temp directory

I'm pretty sure this can be done, but need some expert assistance and instruction. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I currently have my new URL redirecting to my old website URL. I've loaded WP 2.7 onto my new URL and have installed a theme. However, I can't *see* the home page when I click view blog because it immediately redirects. Is there a way that I can create a page called Temp and build my whole blogsite from there with my pages, then get it to be live on my main URL when it's ready.

For example, while I build it put home page here temporarily:

kellywilliamsva.com/temp

But when live, home page is here:

kellywilliamsva.com

Pages temporarily would be:

kellywilliamsva.com/temp/about

kellywilliamsva.com/temp/services

etc

But when live, will be

kellywilliasmva.com/about

kellywilliamsva.com/services

I just don't really want the home page to be called kellywilliams.com/home or /index. I do know I can stop the redirect on my main URL temporarily while I work on it. It would just be so much easier to have my site remain live while I work on the new one.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!!

Thank you so much Crystal! I knew there had to be a way and it sounds simple enough for me to actually do it. So I'll now load the files to the temp directory.

Once my site is done, I think I would use my CoffeeCup FTP and just drag the directories over to the main URL WP folder and overwrite anything that's already there. Then following that, I can delete the temp directory completely. Is that correct? I may have to check back once I'm ready.

THANK YOU!!!

I'm doing this too myself Kelly and yes you can. That way I can build it and then move over once it is finished. No idea how to move it yet but what I'll probably do is just hire Crystal to do that for me LOL

Several ways of doing this...

Temp index html - Upload your html index/home page to the public folder. build your wordpress in temp folder then simpy move - http://www.VAnetworking.com/forum/index.ph...ost&p=92347

Blog in public folder - set up blog in public folder, post a "page" and make index temporarily through settings. Build posts as "drafts" and then when ready bulk publish all drafts.

Blog in public folder 2 - set up blog in public folder, post a "page" and make index temporarily through settings. Set up second blog in temp folder and build/publish all posts, backup blog and "import mysql database" into main/public blog.

Xammp - Install xammp on loacl pc and build blog. - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Cheers,

Chris.

I'm doing this too myself Kelly and yes you can. That way I can build it and then move over once it is finished. No idea how to move it yet but what I'll probably do is just hire Crystal to do that for me LOL

I was thinking the same thing! I know I can get the site built ... but I just may hire Crystal to move it for me, too. ;)

Several ways of doing this...

Temp index html - Upload your html index/home page to the public folder. build your wordpress in temp folder then simpy move - http://www.VAnetworking.com/forum/index.ph...ost&p=92347

Blog in public folder - set up blog in public folder, post a "page" and make index temporarily through settings. Build posts as "drafts" and then when ready bulk publish all drafts.

Blog in public folder 2 - set up blog in public folder, post a "page" and make index temporarily through settings. Set up second blog in temp folder and build/publish all posts, backup blog and "import mysql database" into main/public blog.

Xammp - Install xammp on loacl pc and build blog. - http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Cheers,

Chris.

Thank you Chris! And thanks also for the previous post link. I knew there had to be prior discussion but couldn't find it.

Thank you so much Crystal! I knew there had to be a way and it sounds simple enough for me to actually do it. So I'll now load the files to the temp directory.

Once my site is done, I think I would use my CoffeeCup FTP and just drag the directories over to the main URL WP folder and overwrite anything that's already there. Then following that, I can delete the temp directory completely. Is that correct? I may have to check back once I'm ready.

THANK YOU!!!

Yes Kelly, you can do exactly that.

With you ftp program opened, click on temp file folder, hold down your mouse and drag it to the position you want it to be. With that done, you can rename the folder if you choose.

Now if you want to move the contents of the temp folder to the root of this directory, you can do one of two things, you could download your entire folder and it contents then upload everything inside the folder but not the folder to your root directory. Or you could simply click on the items you want to move while holding down the shift key and drag them to the position you want them to be. Much more simple once you've tried it a few times.

One problem you may run into is running out of window space in you ftp, but don't worry, this is how you handle it. Your ftp program should have 4 windows - 2 for your computer files and two displaying your server files. On your server side, find your folder, click to open the content in the bottom window - the bottom window is now ready, now adjust the top window until you can see the directory where you want to put it, ok now follow the instructions above and drag everything and drop, yes even crossing the divider between the two sections. Is done. Very easy really.

Happy blogging:)

Thank you. I'm hoping to wrap up my site design in the next few weeks and move it over :thumbup1:

Ok, I am ready to move my wordpress site I've been working on installed on my domain in one folder, but I have gotten so lost. How am I supposed to move this to my root folder so when people go to www.barbervasolutions.com, they see my new wordpress site?

Right now I have it in a separate directory on my domain. So am I going to have to do a new wordpress installation on my root and then just import the files I have saved from the directory I have it in?

Is is more simple or complicated than that? This is totally out of my realm, I feel so lost.