Hi, All:

Late last year my husband lost his job as a Structural Engineer and was unable to find work locally here in Florida. As most of you know the construction and housing trade is in the absolute dumps in most of the US so he was forced to try to find work overseas. A great job presented itself in Victoria, British Columbia and he started work in November. Having just had a baby (Emma now 3 months old) we decided that it was best for me and the kids (I also have a 2 year old) to follow once he found us a house over there.

He just found a townhouse and the lease starts March 1st so now I'm scrambling trying to figure out how to move our entire lives to the opposite side of the continent and maintain my business at the same time. Here's my question: has anyone in this forum moved internationally and kept their business going?

Most of my business is Project Management and I have amazing clients who know what's going on and are willing to work with me during the transition. I'm really lucky. I am, however, absolutely overwhelmed by the logistics of how to now make my business Canadian. Since my business is solely over the internet do I have to move the base of operations to Canada? Or can I just keep my PO Box here in Florida and continue as I have been? At least for the first year until I am totally settled in BC. Is that even legal? Since our businesses are virtual, I wonder...

Please understand, I am not looking to skirt paying taxes. My intention is to continue to pay Uncle Sam rather than... um.. do Canadians have an equivalent dude?

I would appreciate any advice this group may be able to offer.

Thanks!

Victoria Santiago

Edited by Victoria Santiago

Victoria,

Welcome to Canada!!!

I am not certain of all the answers you need... we pay our taxes to Revenue Canada - here's the website Revenue Canada

There is a business section there and you may get more info from it. Rev Canada Business page

I am certain others will chime in here soon.

Best of Luck!

Depending on your husband's status in Canada, it may not be legal for you to work while you are there. I'd suggest consulting a Canadian immigration lawyer before taking any steps toward moving your business.

As a US citizen, you are required to file taxes in the US no matter where you live. You are, however, entitled to a foreign earned income exclusion that will reduce your tax liability to the US. If you are legally entitled to work in Canada, you will have to pay taxes to Revenue Canada as you are earning income while residing there. Again, I recommend that you consult an immigration attorney for more information.

I'll echo the "Welcome to Canada!"

I agree with what everyone else has said. I've called Revenue Canada a few times (on other matters) and they have always been helpful. I think our virtual existence does make this all very interesting!

Good luck with your move!

Cheryl

Victoria,

First of all, good luck in your move!

Secondly, please keep us posted on what you have to do as this is a very interesting topic and I'm sure others will be interested in this information. Hopefully, someone's been there...done that so they'll be able to assist you.

Thanks, Tawnya and everyone for your replies. I have decided to keep my business a US enterprise for the time being until we figure out what's happening with our immigration status in BC. My husband has a 2 year work permit which makes him a permanent resident for that length of time and makes his family (me and the kids) also permanent residents. However, I still don't know what that means as far as me being able to work in Canada. I have too much going on right now getting ready for the move to figure that out so it'll have to wait until I'm already settled in BC. But eventually we will probably need to consult a immigration lawyer as suggested.

Last night we finally purchased our plane tickets and made the final arrangements with the movers. We are at T minus 24 days. Argghhh!!! :o I'm both exhilarated and overwhelmed beyond belief but also so happy to have a drop dead date for the move.

Thanks again everyone and if you have any tips for how NOT to lose your mind during a cross continent move I'd love to hear them.

Victoria

Hi Victoria,

My folks live in Victoria and are getting older, so I am out on the island helping out and visiting quite often. In fact, I will be there again for another weekend at the end of this month. If I can do anything to lend a hand, I would be glad to, welcome to Canada! :flowers:

Welcome to BC. This is probably one of the most beautiful provinces in Canada - mind you I'm a bit prejudiced. I lived on Vancouver Island and loved it and I am sure you will too. Victoria is beautiful and easy to get to know.

Carol Ann

Hi Victoria,

I too lived in Victoria for a few years and now I'm way up North, but still (ad always) in BC. Victoria is the best "little" big city around! And lucky for you the weather is notoriously mild compared with the rest of us, but watch out for that wind...

I know there are a bunch of VA's in Victoria that are super friendly that you could connect with, just look them up and give them a shout. We're friendly folk up here, no doubt about it!

Here's another big warm welcome to Canada and BC! They don't call it Beautiful British Columbia on the license plates for nothin....

Wow, Victoria, you do have a plate full of stuff to deal with!

I'm really glad you will be coming to Canada.

This doesn't deal directly with your questions, but might provide you with some insight. The firm has a solid reputation. They are on the high end of the pay scale but know there stuff.

http://www.heenanblaikie.com/fr/media/BioX...s_in_Canada.pdf

;) Hi Victoria, congratulations on moving to Canada, I know nothing about moving internationally but one ting I am certain of..........the Canadians right here on this forum defiantly have your back. Ain't it grand! If there is anything you need help with during this transition, please let me know how I can help.

You have always been most helpful to me over this past year, please allow me to return the favor.May you find peace and continued success in your new surroundings.

On another note I have to agree, you guys make me want to move to Canada. Being a native of Detroit Mi, I have only had the pleasure of visiting Ontario and Toronto, I would love to see the rest. One of these days Tawyna, I hope to come to your little corner of the world.

Make it a great day all!

Cynthia

Hello, Everybody:

Just a quick note to let everyone know I've finally made it to Victoria. The move was amazingly complex but miraculously everything went pretty much according to plan. There's still a few boxes left to unpack but for the most part we are settled in. I have a beautiful new office in the basement of our new townhouse that it is just perfect. The tricky thing will be to service my wonderful clients who are all on Eastern and Atlantic time zones while I am now on Pacific time zone. Since I haven't been able to find a suitable childcare situation yet (Geez! Daycares are SUPER expensive here in BC) I will need to work around my children's schedule (age 2 1/2 years old and 5 months) so here I am bright and early working at 5:00 AM.

Thank you so much to all you wonderful Canadians for your warm welcome and also to the US VA's that also offered support. It is truly beautiful here and although it has been unseasonably cold it hasn't been unbearable. My son saw snow for the first time ever and just seeing the excitement on his face warmed me up. :)

Looking forward to connecting with more Victorians that can give me tips on my new city.

All the best,

Victoria