Using proprietary programs

Hi,

I worked for a Realtor for about a year doing her marketing and some transaction coordination. I'd like to start a VA business specializing in RE marketing. I noticed in some posts people talk about using the MLS, Top Producer, and Realtor.com. These were all programs I used in the office with my (realtor) boss's id and password. If you're on your own, and you're not a realtor, how do you get access to these programs?

Karen

You can't get access to the MLS programs without a broker. You would have to use the account of the real estate agent you are looking for. You would NOT post listings for one real estate agent using another real estate agent's account. Many times the agent's broker may have to give you permission to access certain programs. Please check out the regulations in your area.

You can't get access to the MLS programs without a broker. You would have to use the account of the real estate agent you are looking for. You would NOT post listings for one real estate agent using another real estate agent's account. Many times the agent's broker may have to give you permission to access certain programs. Please check out the regulations in your area.

Thanks, Sherra. My fiancee is a realtor so I could get into the MLS to look things up, but anything needing changed or updated has to be done through that specific realtor's area, so they'd have to give me access.

There are three ways to gain access.

1. Get signed up through the broker/agent you will be working with as an assistant and have them pay your quarterly MLS dues. Keep in mind that you will only be able to access that agent's listings and cannot add listings or edit the listings of another agent. If you sign up with the broker, you can and will be able to work for all of the agents in the office (better use of time).

2. IF and only IF the MLS allows access, you can use the agent's access (username and password). It is your responsibilty to know if you can use the agent's access into the MLS. If you don't call the MLS and obtain the appropriate documentation, you will be held accountable and responsible for all unauthorized access and be fined accordingly. Don't accept the agents word as the final approval.

3. Join as an affiliate. You will only be able to search the MLS and have very limited access. You will not be able to input listings, etc.

Otherwise, you cannot access the MLS since you are not a licensed REALTOR (member of the board).