xpress assistant

Updating a client's website.......

Long time, no post!!

I have a client who would like a price proposal for website maintenance and update. I'm not a web designer but I'd like to give it a shot.

I have a basic WYSIWYG software program. What else do I need to maintain her website? And what do I need to know from her?

FYI: the website in question is efitwell.com

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide!

Kirstie

(oops! edited to add my name!)

Edited by xpress assistant

Will she let you sub it out? That is not an entry level site. You might be lucky enough to find a sub who will let you 'look over their shoulder' for future small work such as updates on schedules, etc.

Guest TerryGreen

Kirstie,

If you've never done any website maintenance and don't know what you are doing, I would strongly suggest subbing it out to someone else and not doing it yourself. Website maintenance can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing ... if you don't have the skill and experieince, my best suggestion is not to do it.

Hi Kirstie, :)

I'm really torn on this, but I think I have to agree with what's already been posted. I could be wrong here (so please correct me), but after looking at the source for the site in question, I believe it will require at least an intermediate understanding of the PHP scripting language. I'm not familiar with that style as I myself am ok with using simple HTML & template-tools, & have never plunged into anything more advanced than that! lol (one day maybe!)

So, I think if I were you, unless you are confident you understand how this website was put together, I would politely & professionaly decline to do it personally & sub it out. You could still offer to oversee the "project", but let someone with more experience handle this one.

To see what I mean, if you happen to have a PHP editor (like Adobe GoLive (which I have) or Dreamweaver), just download the complete files from her site & open them up in one of those editors to have a look. Maybe this is an opportunity for you to play around with it & learn, but I'm not sure I would take on the responsibility of maintaining that site if I didn't have prior experience under my belt. (here are a couple articles from Wikipedia on PHP development & editors to use: PHP Article & List of Editors)

Let us know what you end up doing or learning! ;)

Long time, no post!!

I have a client who would like a price proposal for website maintenance and update. I'm not a web designer but I'd like to give it a shot.

I have a basic WYSIWYG software program. What else do I need to maintain her website? And what do I need to know from her?

FYI: the website in question is efitwell.com

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide!

Kirstie

(oops! edited to add my name!)