Dana Fortier

Why parents should always check homework

A first grade girl handed in the drawing below for a homework assignment.

After it was graded and the child brought it home, she returned to school the next day with the following note:

Dear Ms. Davis,

I want to be very clear on my child's illustration. It is NOT of me on a dance pole on a stage in a strip joint. I work at Home Depot and had commented to my daughter how much money we made in the recent snowstorm. This photo is of me selling a shovel.

Mrs. Harrington

post-8309-1233351574_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest Kathy Zengolewicz

Oh I love it. Thanks Dana. rolf

Kathy Z

Guest Arnie

sure looks like a pole to me!

But my shrink told me that people often see what they want to see. :D

Its my lot in life to entertain and amuse.

Its not a lot, but its my life. :D

Seriously - I have friends that send me this stuff daily. I have a bunch of National Geographic pictures of the year that I just got that I'll get uploaded sometime. They're amazing photos.

Seeing that story reminded me of these true stories from my life as a parent --

My oldest daughter is planning to be an elementary school teacher and for 6 weeks she had to work with an elementary school teacher. The class was a kindergarten class. The project assignment -- draw something you enjoy and write down "I love (what you enjoy)"

Keeping in mind all the emphasis that was placed on protecting children from predators these days, along with other child abuse issues, that was being taught in her education classes. My daughter was reviewing the drawings and took one of them to the teacher because she was concerned about why the child drew the picture, what was written and did not know how to approach the child. When the teacher saw the picture she was concerned and told my daughter that she would handle it.

The drawing was a brownish object with the words "I love penis"

The teacher went over to the child and asked the child about their drawing. The child looked at the teacher and said "I love peanuts, can't you read?"

Of course, when the teacher later went back and told my daughter, they both had a good laugh. [Granted there were no children in the classroom at the time.] When my daughter came home that evening --of course she told me and we both had a good laugh.

--

Then there is this one that happened to me.

When my daughters were growing up, I tried to explain everything as honestly as I could to them but also tried to remember to ask them why they were asking the question --because sometimes the answer I would have given to their question was not what they were really asking.

Both the girls were in elementary school and I love country music and played it often around the house. I had a Dixie Chicks cd playing and, of course, the girls had heard the songs so many times that they knew the words to the songs. Anyway, one of the verses had the words "a little mattress dancing" in it [i can't remember the name of the song].

My youngest asked me what mattress dancing was. Of course, I was thinking "Oh my gosh, how am I going to explain this one?" when I remembered to ask her "What do you think it is?"

Her response -- "Jumping up and down on the bed."

Smiling, I replied -- "It's sorta like that" and she continued singing the song. Later when I told my husband, we both laughed.

--

Of course, this was the same daughter that belted out the words to another song "I like my women a little on the trashy side" when she was either 4 or 5. A friend, Joe, was over when that happened and I thought he would just die from laughing when she belted out those words. He said that song would never be the same and still smiles when he hears it.

--

For those of you wondering about how to discuss sex and pregnancy to teenagers --

This same daughter, after 2 years of lifeguarding, decided that she wouldn't lifeguard during the summer (it was too hard). Instead she'd do something easier --babysit for a 6 or 7 year old boy (how hard can that be, just watch him). Okay, she's also a true blond and had never babysat before. After a few weeks, she has decided that she would never have kids. When I asked her why, she said that watching that boy had convinced her that she never wanted to deal with little boys, or kids, again. When I explained to her that just because she doesn't want kids doesn't mean she won't get pregnant. She replied, "It does if you don't have sex." I guess those county middle and high school sex education classes paid off after all.

--

The joys of motherhood --sometimes you can't even imagine --until you have lived through it.

Sincerely,

Linda

• Like 1

That's awesome... I'll share a story too... I have a sister that is 13 years younger than me. I got married and moved out when she was 5 and started Kinder. My husband was (is) very close with my mother and sisters and he's just another one of the family.

My sister in first grade had to write about her family and she wrote that her sister lived in Hawaii. She further wrote that her brother was married to her sister and lived with her in Hawaii. The teacher called mom and asked her if maybe the child was a little confused about family interactions.

It was funny at the time anyway!