Sign in to follow this  
CMJ Office

Hosting Providers

I'm doing some research for a friend of mine. They are currently changing their business and domain name. With that said, they are trying to find a great hosting company.

I currently use Yahoo Small Business. I do love them but would like to toss a few more ideas out to my friend.

So, what do you use? How great are they?

Thanks,

Colleen Johnson

I have 2 businesses and use 2 different hosting providers.

For my genealogy research business, I use GoDaddy simply because when I set up that web page I needed an easy to follow template. Web Page Tonight is great for building a quick online presence. GoDaddy's technical support is good and they are always willing to stay on the phone for as long as it takes to resolve a problem to my satisfaction. I have found navigating their site to be a bit tiresome though.

For my VA business, I use BlueHost because of the features they offered and I'm better (I think) at building a web page without a built in template. Uploading pages and managing the site is very easy. I've only used their email tech support but it was fantastic. Issues were resolved very quickly and to my satisfaction.....most were my fault. Navigating the BlueHost site is quite easy and all features are fully explained without having to hunt too much for answers.

Jenny

I use 1and1 because I like the consolidation into a package. Their support has always been good. I like their affiliation system and have benefited from it.

That being said, GoDaddy's support is almost as good as chocolate! They work in Arizona and speak English. They are just super nice and fast. The GoDaddy reseller program is for the serious internet service provider, not the little guy.

I've had no problems publishing to either. I haven't been bothered by offline time.

There are others out there; I just have only had the time, energy and need to try these.

(I had others in the old days. E-host was sweet until they went strictly to email support and didn't understand English. The day I got some advice that was so archaic that I could remember when things had changed, I started looking for someone else. More expensive too. DigitalChainSaw was similar to the ChainSaw movie--nasty. Snotty and MIA except for billing time.)

I personally use Bluehost, and set my clients up on it wherever possible. I love Bluehost - their dashboard is easy to navigate and everything is easy to read. Never had server issues and had to call support in two years, so I think that's good too.

I have a few clients using GoDaddy and I don't find their navigation to be as simple as Bluehost. I find their whole site very 'busy' and confusing.

I think they both have 'one click' install (using Fantastico) for many add-ons, but I haven't done any installing with GoDaddy - lots with Bluehost.

It's awesome.

Tracey

I use GoGreen for almost all of my sites. I've tried a few different ones for my article directory, but it runs the best on GoGreen. The support has been wonderful as well. They answer all my questions promptly, and they even tweaked a few things for me when I had trouble getting my new forum program to run smoothly.

I have some sites with a few other hosts, including GoDaddy, but I've found GoGreen the most reliable, and friendliest. They have one click install with Fantastico. I've used GoDaddy's one click install too, but for some reason, I find Go Daddy more confusing.

Check out my hosting at Mediamage Business Solutions. I am a reseller for a large hosting company and our customer service is fantastic. Why? Because you get to go through me as the reseller for any issues you have and I deal with it for you. No more being put on hold for the next available agent halfway around the world! ;)

My hosting company is reliable, economical and many here at VAnetworking.com use it. Our forum uses it too and as you can see, it can handle a ton of traffic with no issues. Hopefully a couple of members here who use my hosting will post their testimonials.

From small to large business hosting needs, I offer it all. I also have a SPECIAL VA package for our members for just $99.95 a year which includes more than enough space and emails for your VA business. We even have fantastico scripts so that you can instantly install Wordpress and other programs like forums, chats, help desks, etc. right to your server with the click of one button named "ïnstall" ;)

Do check us out!

Colleen, I did a lot of researching before I signed up with any company. I finally signed up with Go Daddy for my domain and www.hostgator.com for my host provider. I have had fabulous results with HostGator. They are professional, great tek
service and there 24/7. I would recommend them to anyone. Plus you can even pay monthly if you want instead of the whole year. That is what I did just to try them out. I am going to switch to the annual payment which is a little less money too.

Jo-Carole

Wow! Great info and thanks for sharing. I'm compiling a list and passing it along to my friend. I will definitely be throwing all of these hosting companies into the pile for her to check out.

Thanks everyone!

I've been using GoDaddy, though I do agree that their site is incredibly busy. Their prices are pretty good, though.

Has anyone used IPage? I found their site to be user friendly until I switched from Weebly (Drag and Drop) to WordPress....they do not offer tech support for Wordpress (boomer). I paid for 3 years of hosting and domain name for roughtly $115.

We use Hostgator here and I've tried many of the hosts mentioned and keep going back to Hostgator. GoDaddy I don't like because it doesn't work well with Wordpress and always has issues there. If Hostgator wasn't around I'd probably go to BlueHost.

I buy all my domains at My Domain.

I agree with Tawnya. I'm Hostgator all the way. Been with them for near on 3 years and they have always impressed me with their level of customer service. Before that I was with HostPapa and 1 &1. I'd never go back to those providers. HostPapa just didn't cut it and 1&1 I didn't find very helpful.