KiwiVA

MS Word footer question - customized footer

Hi everybody,

I have a client who's wanting me to update a badly formatted policy manual. Additionally to that, he would like a customized footer (additionally to the normal footer that shows the pages, etc.) indicating what date the page was changed, eg. the footer would then read: page 1/200, page updated on 9/2/09 or similar.

The thing is that I can't find a footer option that is customized per page, the footers usually are customized by document. But he would like the footer on each page differently. Is there such an option?

I use 2007 and he uses 2003, but I can work on 2003 as well.

Has anybody worked with this problem before? I tried to do a google search, but haven't found a solution for this problem.

Thanks a lot.

Heike :)

Hmmm, I wonder if it's more like using a "Section" vs. a "Page"? You can insert "section" breaks (which can break like a page) & use different headers/footers for the different sections. I'm not sure if that works as hoped though as I haven't tried it.

If it's not possible in Word, what if it was just done in a PDF version? I'm pretty sure (with the right software) you can edit the headers/footers for each page in a PDF (I use Acrobat Pro). That's pretty unique for sure. I hope someone else has experience with this... if I find any supporting links, I'll edit to add them in. Sorry... :unsure:

Section breaks would have been my guess too. If it's a lengthy document this could be quite a pain; although I'm guessing it's going to be a pain to edit each footer individually anyway if it's a lenghty document!

Thanks a lot for your ideas. I will discuss with the client if he would like section breaks or maybe a table instead of the footer for the updates. At least now I know what options there are and don't need to worry about giving him the wrong advice.

Thanks again, you are all awesome. :)