cowgirlc

Potential client passes on you, because someone low-balls their rate&#

:angry:

Hi all, has this ever happened to anyone; first off maybe I am making too much out of it never the less it kind of bothered me. Here goes….

I responded to an RFP, I sent the usual email introduction with details of how I can help and why they should speak with me. The 'PC' emailed me back, complimenting my site and indicated that they were impressed followed by, when is a good time that we could speak today.

I was excited needless to say and replied back that I was available to talk all afternoon and that they could give me a call. Ten minutes later the 'PC' called me, at the time I had walked out to my mailbox and missed the call by seconds.

Now here comes the good part……..I pick up the phone to return the call and just as I did I receive another email indicating that they had just received an email from someone they had talked to early that day and had decided to go with that person.

I proceeded to make the call anyway just to say good luck with their selection and thank them for considering me.

They welcomed my call and then proceeded to tell me that although they really wanted to use me, this other person had dropped their price so low that they just could not pass it up.

I sincerely hope that this person gets the service they seek, but what does that say about the VA, that quoted them one price and then as if in desperation dropped their price.

I do not know what that price was but it just bothered me is all.

Didn't mean to be so long winded, thanks for letting me vent!

Cynthia

How frustrating - for all of us! I am getting some inquiries regarding my pricing and it seems that there are people out there low-balling all of us. My rates are on the low side of the VA standard and it still seems that I hear a "virtual" gasp on the other side of the phone when I quote my rate packages.

Today I was exploring www.elance.com and it appears that many of the "virtual assistant" jobs are applied to with extremely low rates. To the point where the person could not be making a profit. I will wait until I find a client that will appreciate the value of my service before I lower my rate just to get the job!

Hang in there Cynthia (and I hope that it wasn't the person that I referred to you!) :blush:

Thanks Janet, I was just venting. No one has control over what another does, and I know there are enough clients and work for all of us. Heck,....I just posted in the moment to vent. I have certainly moved on to the next potential client.

Just was not my turn I guess.

Cynthia

Thanks Janet, I was just venting. No one has control over what another does, and I know there are enough clients and work for all of us. Heck,....I just posted in the moment to vent. I have certainly moved on to the next potential client.

Just was not my turn I guess.

Cynthia

Great attitude, Cynthia. Wishing you better luck next time around, & I'm sure you will prevail! :bighug:

Cynthia,

It's crappy when someone lowballs you, but it's even crappier when the client or PC tells you that's why they went with the other person.

Clients like that will always be looking for a better deal, so you're better off without them.

Clients who know the value of hiring a professional VA are out there - I come into contact with them every day - but there will always be those who don't want to pay what we are worth.

Don't take it personally, it'll happen all the time!

Tracey

Hi, Everyone

I just started my business in January and have had some interest. However, a lot of them have said that they cannot afford my fees. I explained to them why my fees may seem high. To me its the value that I can give to clients and the fact that I have bills of my own to pay. Other VA's may be willing to undercut themselves, however, I will not do that.

It is very frustrating when other VA's feel that desperate to lower their prices when the rest of us value what we have to offer potential clients. Hopefully, people will start to see that the value we bring them in the form of our services will override what we may charge.

It happens. Its happened to me a lot, but they sometimes come around in the end. I recently referred someone to another VA that had called me last year, we had a great conversation, and he went with someone lower in price. After a few months he realized he was getting (or not getting) what he paid for, and wanted to partner with me.

Well, my VA business has changed in the past few months, so I'm only taking a certain realm of clients (attorneys, mainly) on new. We had a great conversation, and I referred him to someone I know does exactly what he wants, has great morals and ethics, and they've been happy as clams in a tidal pool ever since. He even sent me a thank you gift.

So, don't let it get you down. I chalk it up to there was a reason it didn't work out.

I'm inclined to agree with Dana about there being a deeper reason you may be glad they passed on you.

If they don't get it about the rates, perhaps they are even more rookie about working with a virtual assistance and you would be frustrated further into the relationship.

If they don't have the money, they don't have the money. Sometimes the statement is not "Your rates are too high." But rather "Your rates are beyond my budget." Hey, I buy used cars and shop generic all the time. Sure, I get what I pay for, but it is what I can pay for.

Guest Kathy Zengolewicz

Hi Cynthia,

Isn't it great that we can come here and vent. ;) I know what you mean, sometimes it just helps to talk about it. But I have to agree with the others. In the long run you may be glad this client didn't choose you. Given time, these perspective clients realized that you get what you pay for.

Remember, when one door closes, another opens.

Kathy Z

:D Thank you all for the feedback, I was just fine once I came here and got it off my chest. had moved on to something different right away. I agree with all of you, and yes it is great that that I can stop by here and vent with out judgement.

Cynthia

I think it's a bit like dating. When I was single and "looking" I came across all sorts of men. Some were not interested; some were interested, but not that much to go on another date; some were interested to go on more than one date, but not to go exclusive; and there are only very few that you get into a real relationship with. Many women get upset because they feel they might have missed out yet again on a "great guy", but in reality it was a blessing in disguise because a better match was probably just around the corner.

Hang in there... :) We are all in the same boat.

Cynthia,

I can't blame you, it does get EXTREMELY frustrating when that happens. This site also offers a wonderful place to vent as well as having the most patient and knowledgeable VAs so willing to help.

I've also been to elanc.com and they cannot possibly be making a living, nor do they value themselves very highly. All I can say to any client who compares prices like that is this...you get what you pay for, good luck.

Hang in there!

Edited by d.gorham