Sign in to follow this  
Melody

VA Certification

I am just in the process of researching becoming a VA. I just applied for membership to VA4U, I read about it from another post on this message board. They offer free web space.

My question is, when is the appropriate time to seek to be certified. So far I have not started being a VA it will be official to me when I get my first assignement!

From what I have read on different sites, it would be better to wait until you have some actual VA experience before going for the certification. Any input?

This is all up the individual. Do you feel that you have the skills that you need to succeed? If so, then you might not need certification...at least not right now.

Assist U offers a certification program after you complete their VTP program and “x” number of hours of service. However, in the exam in rigorous…just ask Naomi. VAU offers certification upon completion of the program. Then there is VACertication.com who offers certification based upon your portfolio.

Each of us has our favorite programs. Dale and I are VAU graduates and certified as GVAs and Naomi is going for her CPVA from AssistU. Dale and I are in also in the process of certification from VACertification.com.

As far as an appropriate time, in my opinion there isn’t any. There are many GREAT VAs who are not “certified”. So the choice is yours.

:thumbup:

Hello Melody:

Becki covered all bases very well. Of course, I am quite biased and think AssistU training and certification is the absolute best! Creme of the crop! The elite of the elite . . . the cliche's could go on forever. ;)

This goes to what Becki said:

Each of us has our favorite programs . . . As far as an appropriate time, in my opinion there isn’t any. There are many GREAT VAs who are not “certified”. So the choice is yours.

It really is your choice, how you look at the industry, where you want to go with your business, whether you feel certification is important for you, etc. Right now I have eight clients, four retainer, the others are small. Certification was not important to them. Certification is important to me and to where I think the industry is going to be in the following years. I think in the future, it will be vitally important to clients. I do have potential clients asking me now if I am certified, and some ask if I am AssistU certified. I have decided to go for the "Harvard/Yale" of VA certifications, the AssistU certification. As Becki mention, it definitely is rigourous and not for the faint of heart. The first three weeks I was saying to myself, "Oh my gosh, what did I get myself into!" LOL ;)