Sign in to follow this  
Judy L

WP varies from computer to computer

I may die for this, but I tinkered with a theme; changed a graphic. It shows my changes online on the desktop (xp) where I did the deed and published. But, when I opened the blog on my laptop (vista),the new stuff doesn't show.

Straw Bale Construction at Cardinal Bluff

I put a graphic featuring straw bales in the place of a very pretty cup of coffee! The post DH wrote and other changes I made are there.

Now, it won't quit thundering and I have to go to work tomorrow, so I'm going to shut down.

Did you upload the image of the hay bale and rename it background_title.gif? That's the easiest way to do it to make sure it sticks. Just change the name of the old image so you still have the image on the server somewhere but it's not linked to the template.

I renamed it so many times, I felt like Tom Sawyer's auntie. I just re-did it this morning and have the coffee cup again??? Even though I moved a gif file to the directory using Fireftp and renamed it. That got me a blank space. Then I checked the gif file in my Expressions. It is the one I want, so I published the website. Schzam, the coffee cup. could be worse! I've changed pictures in the header on other themes and had it work beautifully. When I tried to open the picture that I see on the list at fireftp, it won't open. I have to work today, so we're going to go with the coffee cup all day. The content is still there.

I will probably try a different theme over the weekend if I can't dig around and find a solution. Or take more time and change the entire header. I also didn't take time to try this in XAMPP which I did with En Pointe a blog for the ballet school.

Judy, check your changes in another browser. Yours may be caching pages. I know you can set your browser to clear the cache often but I can't think of how at this moment. Also, check to see if you are using a cache plugin like Super Cache. I always disable those when making any changes.

Judy, check your changes in another browser. Yours may be caching pages. I know you can set your browser to clear the cache often but I can't think of how at this moment. Also, check to see if you are using a cache plugin like Super Cache. I always disable those when making any changes.

Thanks, Crystal. I wondered about that since it worked so well. The cache may have been cleared and that is why MINE doesn't show up today. I'm excited to get home tonite and try it in XAMPP

Update. I tried it in XAMPP first, then went to work on the blog.

I don't know which steps were essential, but in the upgrade that was called for, I ended up getting a new database. Then, I uploaded the theme with my changes and it worked. Straw Bale Construction at Cardinal Bluff renamed the blog file while I was at it so that other link doesn't work. Richard has been writing the posts; I edit some and upload them. The other pages on the site are due for some changes, but this week is going to be pretty much shot.