Guest AngelaGreen

Is article marketing going by the wayside?

Guest AngelaGreen

Just a thought I'm pondering...is article marketing still worth the time and effort? Wondering if it's falling by the wayside in lieu of social networking. Do you still get a good ROI from your time and effort writing and submitting articles?

IMHO, the two simply don't compare. Article marketing lends itself to being an expert or authority in a specific topic ranging from the writings of how-to, steps to follow, debating the pros and cons, or emphasizing various points to name just a few common article themes.

Social networking is often casual with a focus on meeting and connecting to enlarge your circle of relationships.

With the vast and growing popularity of blogs I would be inclined to believe that articles will always be in demand as well as be repurposed. Social networking is like an appetizer to introduce someone to the main dish (the expertise you possess). They each serve a distinct purpose.

JMHO,

~Ruth

I wholeheartedly agree with Ruth.

Article marketing is still the more formal way to present your expertise on a subject. Social marketing, in every form that I have come into contact with, is far more casual, and while it is possible to still share expert information through the social networks, I don't think the two can be compared either.

I still submit articles for clients all the time, and in google searches that I conduct, their articles still come up much higher than any social marketing links they have out there.

Tracey

The benefits to article marketing is not limited to expertise positioning but because other people have the opportunity to reprint your article in full including your bio tagline it is a great targeted traffic generator to your website. This just builds your database to leverage your services and products now to warmer prospects.

Once you have an article posted go back to your Twitter / Facebook and let your "Tweeps", Followers and Friends know so they can snag it for their use too! :)

Wendy Burge

[signature removed as per forum rules]

Edited by Tawnya

The benefits to article marketing is not limited to expertise positioning but because other people have the opportunity to reprint your article in full including your bio tagline it is a great targeted traffic generator to your website. This just builds your database to leverage your services and products now to warmer prospects.

Once you have an article posted go back to your Twitter / Facebook and let your "Tweeps", Followers and Friends know so they can snag it for their use too! :)

Wendy Burge

Excellent idea Wendy of letting your Twitter followers know about your articles. I agree with everyone above on what they've said and want to add that I highly recommend writing articles because you can use them for so many other things down the road too. For example, you could repackage them and make into a eBook to earn you passive income on the side ;)

So Write, WRITE and WRITE some more....it will always be beneficial to you in the end :)

vainsiders.jpg
Get your first month for $7 using coupon code: TRYFOR7

I completely agree with Ruth. Article marketing shares your expertise on a particular topic. If I were a potential customer, I'd be more inclined to work with someone who appears very knowledgable in their field based on the free information they provide both on their website/blog and through outside sources.

I think they are still important, just post a few and 'google' yourself, I am certain they will be in there and maybe even near the top of the list! That alone shows their importance.

Social marketing is an added support as a way to promote them, and you!

Kathy Colaiacovo, Social Media Consultant
<a href="http://www.timeontaskva.com" target="_blank">Time on Task VA Services</a> ~ <a href="http://www.socialmediatraining4biz.com" target="_blank">Social Media 4 Business Training</a>
<a href="http://www.mysocialmediava.com/blog" target="_blank">Social Media Tips</a> ~ <a href="http://www.talkingontwitter.com" target="_blank">Learn to use Twitter</a>

QUESTION : What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?
ANSWER : They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!
It's FREE : It's FUN : And you'll get something DONE : <a href="http://www.VAnetworking.com/downloads/VAkickstart.pdf" target="_blank">Download yours now.</a>

The last issue of Website Magazine had a great article in it about article marketing and definitely, it is alive and well.

I agree. Here is a link to that article... it was a good one.

http://www.websitemagazine.com/content/blo...ng-exposed.aspx

I believe that any effort you make in marketing your business is worth it... article marketing is still alive!!

Kim

The biggest problem with article marketing these days is dilution. Because Google has bread an army of PR'ites to believe that page rank is "everything", article marketing has become a disaster of keyword spammed garbage. The whole idea of using articles as a method of viral marketing has seemingly been lost to the majority of people who write (scribble) them. I see article sites being shaken out daily.

I didn't read the article, but I'd bet they made it a point to only post articles to the top sites with a solid history (prweb,goarticles..etc) and to write good solid, worthy content. Also, self promoting within the body of an article is a no-no which should be limited only to your author bio or a formal press release. (I've broken this rule a few times)

Article and Press Release marketing will always be a viable means of traffic building, however the bang for the buck is being reduced day by day. On the other hand, because social bookmarking has exploded I'd be inclined to think it the better forward looking choice for publishing. In any case, if done correctly they'll enhance each other for a better end result.

IMHO of course

I'm so glad you shared that article here. I've read it before and it's a really good one.

I run a popular article directory, and I also help clients with their article marketing strategies. Article marketing is indeed alive and well. :-) In fact, I think social media makes article marketing even more relevant. With social media, we might be more focused on building relationships and communicating, but we need something good to talk about! And we need something to help build those relationships once we've connected. That's something that article marketing can do.

Sharing articles on Twitter... I know there are several approaches to using Twitter, and I don't think any are necessarily wrong - although some can be downright annoying. ;-) There are multiple ways you can twitter about an article without just saying, "Hi, here's my new article" and giving a link.

- you can ask your followers for their thoughts on whatever topic you're writing about. This gives you a chance to find out what people really think about your topic and what questions you have. They'll start paying more attention to your tweets because they'll see you're interesting in them. When you do post a link to the new article, they will be more engaged with you and more likely to click on it.

- you can say, "I'm writing an article on ..." If it's a topic of interest to my followers, some of them have dm'ed and replied to me, asking me to let them know when it's published. This helps build interest, rather than just saying, "Hi, here's my article."

- When you do tweet an article, I've noticed I'm more likely to read articles that have some description of why I should read it.

Regarding dilution... I complete agree. For many people, the goal has become to get as many articles out there as they can, without regard for the quality of their content. But I believe there will always be a place for quality, insightful content that actually connects you with your readers and helps them solve their problems.

Write Articles That Inspire Sales. <a href="http://cassidarink.com" target="_blank">Get Your Article Marketing Checklist Now!</a>

Then check out my favorite <a href="http://virtualassistantresources.blogspot.com" target="_blank">Virtual Assistant Resources</a>