Morning Everyone...

Well that client email I told you all about last week - she wants me to sub-contract for her writing resumes and cover letters - which I took a whole course on in college!!!!!

I am very excited - we spoke on the phone yesterday and clicked right away!! This isnt much right now, but hopefully it will grow to be more biggrin.gif

I am very excited... We have decided to move our office to what is now our bedroom and move the bedroom upstairs - which I think is going to be much better to have the office on the main floor - more accessible and easier to come home and get to work than go upstairs and be isolated away from everything...

What is everyones opinion on where your offices are???

This is my excitement for the day - it all feels like its beginning to fall into place! Im so excited applause.gif

Pam

I'm soo happy for you Pam!! Definatley a start!!

As for offices, when I moved I converted my "living room" into my new office. It's great!!

The way my apartment is set up...as soon as you walk in their is a little foyer then bam, your right in my office!! Occasionally I have clients come up and all they see is my office! There is a door off my office that leads to the rest of the place, so once that's closed, it's all office!

Could I say office a few more times!! lol laugh.gif

kimmer biggrin.gif

Congratulations Pam! Great news!!

thumbup.gif

My office used to be upstairs too, and I recently moved it downstairs. What originally was a formal dining room, then my kids' playroom is now my office. I love it, its off of the kitchen, but has a door for privacy, AND has sliders to the back deck. Its light and open and airy.

I have the privacy when I need it, but am also able to know what the kids are up to. wink.gif

Donna

Congratulations Pam! A new client is such a great feeling!

My office is actually part of my rec room. Pro: I have all the space I need and it is out of the way of all the activity in the house. There is a French door to the room as well, so I can get the quiet privacy when I need it. Con: I don't have (but long for) that light, open and airy feeling that Donna has!

Lori

Thanks everyone, it is very exciting...

It pays a bit less than what I usually charge for sub-contracting but I am going to give it a shot and see how it goes. I know I want to get working so I am just happy about it! Though I have my full time job - which I love... there is just a wonderful feeling of working from your home office at your pace and when you want... freedom I guess is the right word! biggrin.gif

Ha ha... I need to start somewhere so I am happy with this move, we have made a good connection and she does all the client contact etc so I just work for her.

Eventually I hope to get more of my own clients... until then this situation works out perfect for me!!! And gives me good experience for resume writing and cover letter writing as well she wants me to do her email management too!!

So I consider this a great work experience and learning experience combined!!!

About the office - yes thats why I want to move ours downstairs b/c we just have a story and a half house so thats all thats upstairs is our office - which well sometimes I like the quiet but I think I will like it more when we do move it downstairs to our now bedroom because its right off the living room and down the hall from the kitchen so if someone did show up or I was getting dinner ready it would be easy to still work as well!

Thanks!! applause.gif

Have a great night everyone... will be back on later! biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone!!!

Welll I am also very proud of myself last night, I started on a project for her and love it !!!

however as I was working on it and realizing how much time it was taking me - I looked at the payment schedule and thought I cannot cut myself this short... it was about 1/2 of what I would normally charge for sub-contracting per hour.

So I emailed her and mentioned all this to her and she said something that was very reasonable... once I finish this project she will look at the quality of work I can do and then she would be happy to increase the payment schedule...

I am so happy because I am very excited to have this client now....

Wish me luck! applause.gif

Thank you to everyone for the great encouragement and best wishes....

However as you may already know from another earlier post I was not sitting well with the rates she was going to pay me. So I mentioned this to her and quoted her individually for the services for a total of $75 for the 4 services (resume, cover letter, thank you letter and philosophy of education) - and the response was what I knew was coming - too expensive... I find this very hard to believe when I look at what she charges out to people for these services and that makes it very madening to me.

However I know my skills and knowledge is worth much more than the $35 I was originally quoted from her company.

Ugh... back to the starting point again.... blink.gif

Sorry that happened to you Pam

Unfortunately, some people are greedy greedy. This is the type of outsourcing we don't need. These individuals are no different from someone who employs children in sweatshop labor camps to make cheap trinkets. Exploitation is modern day slavery and anyone who does it stinks in my books.

I just hired someone in Germany to make a graphic template for my next project. This fellow is excellent, my client knows who is doing the work and how much he is getting. I am very up front about these things and I would not work with someone who was not.

You are better off without them. And with all the work you have done in thinking about the resume service can now be provided to your real customers.

Put an ad in the local paper.

Therese

Pam,

My thought is, "If you are giving away the farm, you'll have nothing left to till."

Although, "A seed planted today, means a harvest is yet to come!"

Don't get discouraged, there is a client out there who can't wait to start working with you...you just have to be patient and keep putting your name out there!

• Want to Become a VA?
    Invest in The VAC!
    How Do YOU Startup A

Virtual Assistant Organization Association
    Upgrade Your FREE Account & Receive Today...
    * Access to Our Bus JOB Board *
    * Group Coaching & Training*
    *Training Tracks*
    * Private Mastermind Area *
    * Business Templates *
    * Contracts & Forms*
    * Plus VAinsider Perks! *
    UPGRADE HERE

HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.