Craigs List

Just curious...does anyone runs ads through Craigs List? If so, what has been you success or problems?

I have gotten a couple of bites off of Craigs List adds, but nothing solid yet. Of course, I don't put them up that often (every 3-4 months), so that may have something to do with it. I have heard of other VAs who have had good results with properly worded and placed Craigs List ads.

Depends on what area you are in. Boston is full of spammers and MLM and people posting who aren't even living in this state. I've never gotten one client or even a nibble that way, so for me it's a waste of time. Craigs doesn't monitor postings at all or remove the spam/MLM schemes. There are other sites where I (and my clients) have had success and posted on my blog. Of course, there are other sites too.

I have had people check me out through Craigs List but never got anything out of it. In the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, I think it is worthwhile but I don't put the ad up often enough. I have better luck with in-person networking.

• Like 1

thanks for sharing the sites. i will have to check them out today

cathy

reay solutions

www.reaysolutions.com

Thanks for the info, I was wondering the same thing. My husband advertises his home inspection business in Houston TX on there and he hasn't had any bites, so I wasn't sure if I should try it or not.

Kris Stanley-Price

KSP Accountants & Assistants

www.accountantsandassistants.com

Thanks for the info, I was wondering the same thing. My husband advertises his home inspection business in Houston TX on there and he hasn't had any bites, so I wasn't sure if I should try it or not.

Strange thing about TX and Craigslist, I have two realtors in TX and it's amazing how few homes for sale listings there are. Here in Mass. we're overloaded with them. Guess it's a regional thing whether people prefer Craigs or not. Has your husband tried posting on BigCountry, that seems to do fairly good and it's free. Anything is worth trying a few times.....

I did get one client through CraigsList. It was only a three-month telecommuting position in a law office. Since then I haven't bothered to update my posting, but plan to do so.

I also received several offers for MLMs as well as other less desirable positions.

All I can suggest is to give it a try.

Leisa Good

I've advertised on Craiglist (both New Hampshire/Massachusetts and other areas/cities around the country).

The ads haven't netted much--for the most part, I just get tire kickers and cheapskates looking to lowball the price. I did, however, get a small writing project from a legit client. So I advertise now and then just to polish my schtick ...

What I think is more productive is checking the job opps and offering the virtual assistance option where there may be a fit. I've gotten a few more legit nibbles that way because major companies and "real people" advertise job opps, not just fly-by-nights.

Yes, Craigslist is trolled by spammers and con artists galore, and they have a field day in the job opps section. You have to be careful. I responded to an "iffy" ad for a virtual assistant last week and discovered there was no legit work--just a bait-and-switch, Web link-building scheme. I flagged that loser seven ways from sundown.

Then again, sometimes Craigslist pays off: I got a great writing client by responding to the company's job posting. While writing services lend themselves a little more easily to the virtual spin, there are other possible "converts" buried in there as well.

I think Craigslist is worth a little effort now and then, just to see what turns up. Just don't depend on it for the mortgage payment.

Bottom line: You just never know.

Ramona

• Like 1

I have gotten one client by answering his ad for a part time assistant. I emailed asking him if he had considered using the services of a Virtual Assistant. After a few emails back and forth he decided to try my services. I think Craigslist is hit or miss but I definitely check it everyday for job postings.

I'm still fairly new on Craigslist. I just started actively using their service around April 30th. So far, I've only gotten one bite by posting in the NYC section & nothing from Boston. I wrote back to the "bite" to move the process to the next step, but he hasn't responded yet. I'm just going to continue trying different things out and see what comes of it.

I've never gotten a client on Craig's List but have gotten a response to my applying for their job. The jobs however, were not ones I was interested in. I am thinking of marketing to the non-telecommuting jobs and telling them about hiring a VA and the advantages.