Sign in to follow this  

I have a soft twitter rule: No profile, no follow. Sometimes if I know someone, I will follow and DM them to get with it, but I try to use that measure.

So, this week, I'm getting some inappropriate profiles. I almost fell for this one that started out "Teacher and Trainer for those who are looking to shine" Those are familiar, but then I had to read AGAIN the next part. The profile read " Teacher and Trainer for those who are looking to shine between the sheets."

Yeh, I know, maybe they could use a VA, but I think I'll pass. Empowered to make the decision NOT to follow. They will probably drop me soon.

I have a soft twitter rule: No profile, no follow. Sometimes if I know someone, I will follow and DM them to get with it, but I try to use that measure.

So, this week, I'm getting some inappropriate profiles. I almost fell for this one that started out "Teacher and Trainer for those who are looking to shine" Those are familiar, but then I had to read AGAIN the next part. The profile read " Teacher and Trainer for those who are looking to shine between the sheets."

Yeh, I know, maybe they could use a VA, but I think I'll pass. Empowered to make the decision NOT to follow. They will probably drop me soon.

Ewwwwwww...really some weirdos out there? I auto-follow everyone and just hope for the best deleting those who annoy me as I see their Tweets. I know now and then a creep is going to come along and will deal with them when that happens. Reason I do autofollow is because many people will follow me to try to connect to me directly instantaneously. For example, there was this guy who was interested in DM me about how to hire a VA but couldn't because I wasn't following him. Eventually he had to publicly ask me @vanetworking to follow him. I did follow him and we ended up connecting by email and he's going to now be sending all his RFPs through VAnetworking. Fact is though, he wasn't too pleased that I didn't follow him automatically in the beginning as it would have saved him a ton of hassles trying to get ahold of me.

I get some real crackheads (and I don't mean they smoke it - I mean the stuff they put out there must fall through a crack in thier head by the way some of the stuff is out there) following me some times, so I like to read up on people before I follow. I'm pretty diligent about looking over new followers. Since I manage Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts for 3 other clients as well as myself, its just a no-brainer for me to set aside an hour on M-W-F to deal with it. I used to do it every day, but since I signed two 30-hour retainer clients and one of my current clients is upping his hours again this month (to 65 from 40), I just don't have time to do it every day. I don't yet want to pass it off because its personal to me, and I know my clients so well, I know what they're looking for. To pass that knowledge on to someone, that's just not something I can do right now.

I can understand Tawnya wanting to auto follow people since she gets so many wanting to follow her and wanting to connect with her - it only makes sense, but I kind of agree with Judy - no profile, no follow.

Glad to know it isn't just me... and how to these crackheads find us?? I had my profile locked because I was getting so many junk followers.... Since I unlocked it again yesterday, I have had to block people that I want no part of following me... sex this, God that.....

Kim

Tawnya has a great defense for auto follow. I have other colleagues who use it faithfully. I have been having issues with the 'non-connect' part of it. I'm still wanting to have that old fashioned chosen experience, but again, I can see that client's point of view. hmmmmm.

PS: I do follow some people who don't have profiles if I know them. And today, someone new has an issue with being able to add a picture because of Twitter. I know, I cannot change mine either. So, being plain brown isn't their choice.

I do not auto follow, or auto DM those who do follow me. That's just my personal preference, but I do see that as a handy tool for many. If someone is jonesing that bad to contact me directly, they can look at my profile page and see my email address, LinkedIn and Facebook all right there on my customize Twitter background.

I do check out people's profiles before I follow them (unless I already know who they are). I don't necessarily not follow someone just because they don't have a profile up, but if there's no profile and no tweets (or only a couple and they're all sell, sell, sell...get 10,000 followers in one week, etc.) or I just don't like what they're tweeting about then I won't follow them back.

I don't necessarily not follow someone just because they don't have a profile up, but if there's no profile and no tweets (or only a couple and they're all sell, sell, sell...get 10,000 followers in one week, etc.) or I just don't like what they're tweeting about then I won't follow them back.

This is pretty much my rule, too. I follow everyone unless they are obviously not there to contribute. I don't auto-follow though. And I never DM unless I have something to say to that person personally. I think auto DM is so rude.

I auto follow everyone and unfollow all annoying and offensive people on a regular basis.

I never autoDM and find it offensive. If someone autoDMs me I usually unfollow. Definitely unfollow if they autoDM me trying to sell me something.

I auto follow for the same reason Tawnya does. I want to be available if someone wants to contact me directly. Awhile ago before Twitter became the world craze, I was following an internet marketer who I was considering attending one of his workshops. We exchanged quite a few @ messages and then one day I tried to DM him for something and found out he was not following me. I found that offensive. He was happy to @ me when we were talking about his program but he did not care enough to follow me back even though we had established a relationship. Because of that I decided not to attend his workshop. Because of that I automatically follow everyone who follows me so I don't inadvertently offend someone. I practice the rule innocent until proven guilty.

I auto follow everyone and unfollow all annoying and offensive people on a regular basis.

I never autoDM and find it offensive. If someone autoDMs me I usually unfollow. Definitely unfollow if they autoDM me trying to sell me something.

I auto follow for the same reason Tawnya does. I want to be available if someone wants to contact me directly. Awhile ago before Twitter became the world craze, I was following an internet marketer who I was considering attending one of his workshops. We exchanged quite a few @ messages and then one day I tried to DM him for something and found out he was not following me. I found that offensive. He was happy to @ me when we were talking about his program but he did not care enough to follow me back even though we had established a relationship. Because of that I decided not to attend his workshop. Because of that I automatically follow everyone who follows me so I don't inadvertently offend someone. I practice the rule innocent until proven guilty.

I agree about the auto following...I would find it offensive too if I followed someone and they didn't at least give me a chance and follow me back to see what I had to say and if they didn't like my tweets, well, then yes, not follow me anymore (at which time of course I wouldn't want to follow them anymore either...tit for tat).

As for the autoresponders, I disagree. It works for me. I offer on my twitter profile free downloads and the only way I can keep up with that is to put in an autoresponder when they follow me. I've had more DMs saying thanks for the download than I can even count so it seems like it is making more people happy than not. I do track how many people click on my downloads I give away and I see a high enough conversion of downloads to make my autoresponders stay on since they are bringing in new VAnetworking members, sales and getting clients to submit RFPs to our VAinsiders ;)

Tawnya

PS: Sally, are you still following me or not? ;) BRAT!!!

Tawnya,

It seems I was following you before you set up the auto DM so yes I am still following you.

:P

Okay... I am a bit backwards ... but listen to my argument first.

I do auto DM new followers and send a handy and free Social media guide, and I have had people chat back to me after getting it. Having said that, I had more people chat back to me after receiving my generic type auto DM before I made the handy guide as it seems many thought my words were not an auto DM :-) They we really good words!

Am still weighing which is better...

I do not auto follow new people as I am in my acct every day and prefer to make a decision based on their bio - and this process allows me to see the people more clearly and takes but 5 minutes day. By doing so I have provided some with advice (always keenly looking for errors etc on other profiles/bios) and that contact has opened several relationships and brought me business. Since new followers are put on your last Last in - I find it easier to vet them this way and I actually get a better idea of who is following me and who I am following.

Talking via @replies does bring you more notice on Twitter and if it does not need to be public then it is usually quick to find someone's email and contact info from their weblinks as Sherra has stated.

If I had been doing auto follow I would not have made these contacts and gained their business.