maplewoodva

Organizing Facebook Friends

Organizing Your Facebook  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

**Please take a moment to participate in the above poll.

With Facebook growing in popularity it's not unusual for your business friends and personal friends to be found in one place. Sometimes, it's odd to have your personal and professional personas collide.

~Do you organize your friends into the separate lists that Facebook offers?

~How do you decide when/if you need to thin out the Friends list? What's your criteria?

Tell me your thoughts around the whole maintaining Friends and maintaining "quality" interactions so that when you make your postings there is value to the masses -- the often very diverse masses.

Thanks in advance for sharing your viewpoints,

~Ruth

Hi Ruth. Great questions. I have a fan page, although I've been neglecting it lately.

Your facebook friends and fans should be separate but I personally don't weed and don't say no to people who want to friend me because I don't think I'll ever hit the 5000 limit. I think the best way to weed it out is to let it happen naturally. Set up your fan page and let people know it's there. Then periodically tell your friends on the profile list about what's going on over on the fan page. Try to lure them. That way you can keep it separate.

I've had people email and tell me that they have to weed out their list because it's gotten too large and they've asked if I would join the fan page instead. As far as I know no one's unfriended me, but if they did I didn't notice so obviously I was on the wrong list if I didn't notice they aren't my friend anymore.

I try to organize my friends but it's just too much. If I don't remember to do it as I accept them, then I never do it.

I think all your interactions will be quality if they are in the right context. Your profile is where you post your kid's birthday, your girls night out, your vacation, all that stuff. If someone doesn't want to hear it then they should be on your fan page.

Conversely, your fan page is where you post the exciting things that are going on in your business. If your friends feel like you are bragging or being a bore, then they don't belong on the fan page. They should be on the profile page.

You have to set your criteria for each page and let people decide for themselves where they belong. Just make sure each group knows what the other is about.

Hey Ruth,

This is a great question. I struggled with this when I first started on Facebook only to come to the conclusion that I leave my profile for friends and family and my page/group for business. At least that is where I am at "this week"!! There is never anything I would not want my clients to see on my profile but I don't want it to get so populated that I miss a sweet post my niece makes, or pictures from an old friend or even shout outs from the kids in my youth group. I know that Mari Smith and many other don't share this philosophy and who knows I may change my mind in the future but for now I am really enjoying reconnecting with friends and keeping up with family. I do still separate my immediate family, teens from my youth group and friends into list and Crystal is right I have to do it when I add them or I never do. Facebook pages have become a great piece of real estate and I am hoping that may be enough for now. I look forward to hearing what other do and how it works for them.

Cindy

I started out with my Facebook page just for personal use. But as my business headed more toward the social networking side of things my clients just naturally followed and become my friends on Facebook. It was strange at first... but like Crystal said if anyone gets bored with all my updates they can always un-friend me. I tend to blab a lot on Facebook and then am surprised when someone in real life comments on something I've done. I'm like how'd you know that? And they say, "Duh, Facebook!" Sometimes, I forget anyone is listening to me on there and am often surprised at how many people actually are.

A few months ago I wrote a little blurb about how weird Facebook is. You can read it here if you want... this links to my Facebook notes page: Facebook is Weird

I do try to separate my friends in to lists so I don't miss any updates from family and others. I also hide updates from people that I'm not that interested in hearing about. The only time I weed out "friends" is when it is not really a friend and it is just someone trying to sell me something or trying too hard to promote something. I don't like receiving mass emails in Facebook.

Is anyone else feeling Facebook overwhelm?

Everyday I get a new invitation to join a group, a cause, become a fan or attend an event.

There are so many I don't even know what groups or pages I am part of now.

I'm thinking about this with my business fan pages... they probably gets lost in the shuffle like everyone else's pages. I wonder if there is a way to make it stand out. I'm wondering with so many fan pages and groups now on Facebook is it really a great thing anymore...

Thanks for linking your article, Sally. I, too, have had those moments when someone mentions something, usually trivial, that I wrote on FB only to think "How did you know that?" And, I often get from family, "I usually have no idea what you're talking about so I just skip over yours." :poster_oops:

I'm with you regarding the overwhelm of all of the invites to join this or that. Then when I do sign there's nothing going on.

I haven't set up a Fan Page for my biz yet but have been working with several clients who have Fan Pages. We strategize about how to stand out from the others while maintaining an identity (brand) that is consistent with an individualized business message.

I'd love to hear others' brainstorm ideas for standing out and being more noticeable with Fan Pages.

I'd like to hear how frequently others are posting to Fan Pages.

I, as too many of you have had to know, play a game on FB. I have hidden some of my co-players because they post either non-stop or about stuff I don't understand. I am often tempted to hide some others who are friends of mine from THEIR childhood days, because they only seem to be able to think about memeing. One guy isn't w/ me on the game; we picked up through Twitter. He will sometimes fill the whole page with updates that don't work for me. Frankly, some VAs do too. Some co-post between facebook and twitter incessantly. I think that must be fine; it isn't my style. I believe this is a place where we can have differences in philosophy and interests, yet keep thriving together. That is so valuable that I am determined to keep the hiding to a minimum. Like if you post in Chinese, I will probably hide you. :rolleyes:

I have learned that if I wish, I can choose to no publish activity between me and co-players on the game, yet play with them.

I don't join every group and I don't trade all the spring flowers, easter eggs, etc etc. I don't actively ignore them either, so I have this awful list of stuff that I'm not going to do but because a 'friend' asked, the request is almost sacred.

Edited: I wrote this before I saw the poll. I don't purge friends; I will 'hide' them. I think then my stuff doesn't go over onto their pages either.

Is anyone else feeling Facebook overwhelm?

Everyday I get a new invitation to join a group, a cause, become a fan or attend an event.

There are so many I don't even know what groups or pages I am part of now.

I'm thinking about this with my business fan pages... they probably gets lost in the shuffle like everyone else's pages. I wonder if there is a way to make it stand out. I'm wondering with so many fan pages and groups now on Facebook is it really a great thing anymore...

Sally,

The main thing with social media is to only listen to what you feel like listening to, or what interests you. That's how it works and everyone knows it. No one expects to get a reply to every direct message etc, however if it interests you and you do 'chat' with the person - great! I belong to several facebook groups, but honestly only check those that interest me on a regular basis and others if an update interests me or maybe once a month. I will say with over 13hundred followers on twitter if someone takes the time to dm - and not an auto follow one - I will probably answer. Same with certain @replies, if they are a conversation I will join in.

I made a couple comments about a little guy knocking on my door at 7:30am to play with my son and what followed was a few concerned @'s and DM's from a few ladies from NewZealand and New England...after a couple days it was real amusing this morning to see one post first - no Knocks at the door today? Great water cooler chat is all it was, but I enjoyed it.

How do you makes your facebook page stand out - Don't just sell sell sell and join in some conversations and be unique! Think of some things to post or update on it that are unique and will catch the interest of your fans and have them join in and start a discussion.

Not sure my two cents are helpful or not...

I've been whining all day about my poison ivy, but tonite saw where one of my game player people has shingles. If it weren't for the stuff Kathy describes I would never know or care!

I've been thinking of going in myself and moving any business people over to my new fanpage and leaving Facebook just for my friends. Yet, saying that, it is also where business colleagues can also see another side of Tawnya (family life, etc.) making me more human and trusting to them.

TRUST = BUY on the internet!

So I'm torn on what to do ;)

Tawnya

Ah, Facebook overwhelm. Here's my secret so that I never get overwhelmed. Ready? I "ignore", hehe.

Yup. First, I go to my Inbox, select all, then Delete.

Then I go over to my Requests. I click on Friend Requests because that brings up the whole list. I Confirm all new friend requests. Next comes group and page invitations. I either accept or ignore. Then you get those crazy requests like plants and tattoos. Those get ignored. I always say yes to Author verifications.

Last is events. It doesn't give you the option to ignore. It says Yes, No, or Maybe. But... up in the top right is a box that says Ignore All. You have to click on the events and select all, but it allows you to ignore rather than answer event invitations.

It takes me less than 5 minutes total and no overwhelm.

**Please take a moment to participate in the above poll.

With Facebook growing in popularity it's not unusual for your business friends and personal friends to be found in one place. Sometimes, it's odd to have your personal and professional personas collide.

~Do you organize your friends into the separate lists that Facebook offers?

~How do you decide when/if you need to thin out the Friends list? What's your criteria?

Tell me your thoughts around the whole maintaining Friends and maintaining "quality" interactions so that when you make your postings there is value to the masses -- the often very diverse masses.

Thanks in advance for sharing your viewpoints,

~Ruth

Hi Ruth,

I am new to facebook and I have not accessed my fanpage.

I think it is wise to seperate business friends from personal. list

However, I have not created seperate list for the two as of yet either.

Its difficult to weed friends out, generally I'll wait a few days prior to accepting the request.

Also, depending on the message they send has a huge impact on the acceptance. But for the most part, all of the friend request I recievce are accepted.

Thanks,

Best wishes

Aisha Land

www-virtual-office-solutions-online.com

973-568-7858 mobile

862-763-4893 fax

:thumbup:

Tawnya, I decided when all this social media stuff really started that I am my business. I have 2 kids, I'm a little bitchy and whiny, a sometimes crude sense of humor and well, that is who I am. I will say I talk to my friends/family on FaceBook way more than business contacts.

Twitter is interesting in that I talk more to my business people, but very rarely ABOUT business. I've gotten a few clients from Twitter as well.

I don't do any others right now. I think that's more than enough to keep me busy.

I get fed up with FaceBook easily, if it doesn't do what I want it to do, I just close it and move on *laugh*