maplewoodva

Organizing Facebook Friends

Organizing Your Facebook  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ah this thread has some really interesting ways to handle FB which I have been considering putting business info/fans/friends into.

I started my FB page to keep up with my kids, nieces/nephews, friends before I started my business and quite frankly I would not want business contacts to read or see some of the things they post there. I am fairly strict on behavior for my business that way.

As I started my page with my personal longtime email I was considering starting a new page with my business email and name. Has anyone handled FB and MySpace this way? Does it work better than the fan page option? Any opinions?

It's great to get all your feedback and read how you handle things -- it is definately food for thought! ;)

Guest Pat Z.
Ah this thread has some really interesting ways to handle FB which I have been considering putting business info/fans/friends into.

I started my FB page to keep up with my kids, nieces/nephews, friends before I started my business and quite frankly I would not want business contacts to read or see some of the things they post there. I am fairly strict on behavior for my business that way.

As I started my page with my personal longtime email I was considering starting a new page with my business email and name. Has anyone handled FB and MySpace this way? Does it work better than the fan page option? Any opinions?

It's great to get all your feedback and read how you handle things -- it is definately food for thought! ;)

Hi Eos,

It is against Facebook rules to create an account under a business name. That's a sure fire way to get banned, which is why the Fan Pages are so popular :)

Hi EOS,

I will reiterate what Pat has said and recommend you do not open a second FB with your business email. The fanpage for Business is what you want there and it will work well - and with no connections to your personal - it has improved with the recent changes in Feb 09. Prior to this if you posted updates etc on the business page it did have a connection to your personal name - no longer the case.

I recently started with a client who had her personal and fanpage both with the same name - hers, and we have changed the fanpage so that has her business name. She is her business but you are still better off to distance yourself somehow from your personal one and add the business touch. Also if they have the exact name, when people look at updates etc, it's hard to tell the difference immediately.

To solve your email issue, I always recommend to my social media clients opening a gmail account to use for all social media. I do this for two main reasons:

1. So I can access an email for setting accounts up and password resets etc

2. So the client's main inbox does not get any of the notification emails (I usually turn them off after the setup phase is over) and we know any email in here is connected to the social networks.

I keep the email business related ie. MyBusiness.sm@gmail.com I use the sm because some clients already have a gmail account and then they now at a quick glance which is for networking.

Back when I was not yet a VA, I have a lot of FB friends I really didn't know - both personally and professionally. I just added them to ask for life points for one game I am really addicted to. But after several years, I realized that I needed to filter and organize my friend's list so I would be able to know more about the people who I really wanted to have updates about.

When I lost interest to that game, I even deleted those FB friends I just added because of that game.