Sign in to follow this  

Rates

I've noticed some VA's listing their rates on their websites and others that require contact from the client before they will quote their rates. I've heard pro's and con's to both approaches but what I was wondering is....when you require a client to contact you first, does that mean you still have a set rate for each client depending on the work they want done? or does it vary from client to client?

Hi Kelly:

My rates are my rates, no matter who the client. smile.gif I do not adjust my rates according to the client, nor the work I am handling for the client. Hope this helps! smile.gif

Hi:

Me too. My rates are pretty standard. I don't put my rates on my website as I want the client to contact me so I get the opportunity to sell myself to them. I feel once I have them on the phone, I can convince them that they will find my rate acceptable to them. I rarely adjust my rates. However I have. Only it will be for a good reason.

The only rate that I do have on my website is for coaching VAs. That's just cuz it's a bit different.

I am glad this thread is here, remember that posting I said I had about the sub-contract work for another company doing resume writing and cover letters, Philosophy of Education and Thank you Letters...

Well how does everyone feel about this - I am not afraid to say... she said these are the pay rates... ( I hope its ok to post this...)

For resumes $20

Thank you Letters $5

Cover Letters $5

Philosophy of Education $5

So intotal for this project I just did for her I made $35.00

I really do enjoy the writing but ... is it worth all that work for $35?! blink.gif

I would LOVE feedback on this....

Thank you!

Pam

Guess I should also add that my sub-contracting rate is $20...

My regular rate is $25.00 ...

Thanks biggrin.gif

Pamela:

My personal opinion is two-fold. First, I do not think you are charging enough per hour. I can't remember if you asked for my Services Rate Worksheet, if not, send me an e-mail and I will be happy to forward it to you. Of course your situation could be different for the area you live, the clients you are going after, your living expenses, and your expected profit margin, in comparison to my own.

Second, I would not have a separate rate for subcontract work. Your rate is your rate. The other VA is your client. That VA is acquiring your services. The other VA needs to make the choice of whether she wants to pay your rates or not.

The question I would suggest asking yourself is this:

Is your time and skill sets less valuable because you are doing subcontract work?

wink.gif

While I usually agree with Naomi, this time I must beg to differ.

If I do work for a VA as a subcontractor, I do not charge my full rate. Why? They did the marketing, pursuit, etc., so they should be able to reap the benefit. Plus I have the choice to do the work or not. They propose the rate and I accept it or not. In turn, when I subcontract work out, I give the rate. If the VA doesn't want to work at the rate I am paying, then tell me and I will find someone else who will. Again, I propose the rate, they have the option of accepting it or not.

We all have differing opinions about this. Will I waiver on my rate for a client? Absolutely not. However if I have the time and a VA wants my help, I will help them out by giving them a lower rate. But that's just me.

Pam - While I too don't think you are making enough from this subcontracting job, I totally agree with your discount to other VAs.

thumbup.gif

Hi Naomi,

You are always great at answering those questions - this is what I was contemplating and what my fiance pointed out as well... Is it really worth doing ALL that work and reading for only $35... I am leaning towards no...

I think I will email her back before I get another project... I thought if my rate was lower for sub-contracting it would help out other VA's as I do enjoy the sub-contracting because they send me the work and then deal with "finding" the clients etc.

However, thank you very very much for the feedback! biggrin.gif

Pam

Thank you Becky

We both agree on the same thing! biggrin.gif

Thank you to both of you, the advice sure is appreciated!! biggrin.gif

Thanks again...

Well I knew this would happen...

I brought it to her attention and she said that is way too much... I quoted $75 to do all 4 services as a project for her.

It is almost upsetting in a way because I did enjoy it and it was going to be constant work - however I know my skills and knowledge are worth much more than that... Ugh...

Back where I started once again! blink.gif

Hi Becki:

That is what is so terrific about having our own businesses! LOL In a way we are on the same page. I look at the VA as my client. I marketed myself to the VA and built a partnership/relationship with the VA.

I just turn around what you pointed out:

If the VA doesn't want to work at the rate I am paying, then tell me and I will find someone else who will.

If the VA does not want to pay my rates (or my rates do not match what the VA is willing to pay), then tell me and we will find someone else for our respective partnerships. smile.gif

What I will end up doing, if I ever do decide to subcontract some of my work to another VA, is find a VA that I believe provides high quality services, that has a lower rate than my own and a rate that I am willing to pay.

What we have here is a situation where we both are coming at it from different angles; however, both ending up in almost the same spot. Not dead center, just standing side by side. smile.gif

Isn't it great being boss of your own business! May we never have to go back to the corporate world again!

I don't list my rates not because I my prices change, but because each client is different with different needs. I tailor the package to the client and if they pre-pay then they get a different rate or better rate.

I have also found that other VAs in the past have grabbed information from my site and undercut my prices. This just avoids that.

I also find that it really encourages the client to contact me too.

Have a great day!

This thread on rates reminds me of a story I heard, I am not sure where I heard it so I cannot give proper credit to the author. I may have the amounts a little different, so here it is:

A business consultant was hired by a beauty shop to help turn around the business. They were losing money fast. The business consultant asked them what they had been doing and what they thought the problem might be. The owner of the shop said it was all because of the competitor beauty shop that opened down the street. The owner said their haircuts were $40, the competitor then put out a sign that said haircuts for $30. The owner then put out another sign that said haircuts were $20. The competitor put out a sign that said haircuts were $15. The owner then put out a sign that said haircuts were $10. The competitor then put out a sign that said haircuts were $5.

The owner said to the business consultant, "I can't compete with that, I'm not making any money as it is!" The business consultant looked at the owner and told him to put another sign out in front of his business and told the owner what to write on it. The business owner was dumbfounded and yelled, "I can't do that, I'll lose all my business!" The business consultant shrugged his shoulders, "Just do it and I will be back in a couple of weeks."

A couple weeks passed and the business consultant stopped by the beauty shop. The lobby area was over crowded and there were people spilling out onto the sidewalk waiting for their appointments. Every chair was full and the employees' tip jars were over flowing with money. The consultant found the owner of the shop and said, "I see the sign worked." The business owner shook the consultant's hand, "I can't believe I had succumbed to competing with the shop down the road. Thank you!"

As the business consultant left the parking lot, he passed the beauty shop owner's sign, which read: (scroll down)

Haircuts $50

We fix bad $5 haircuts!