Sign in to follow this  
edgeva

Canadian Subcontractor for US Business

I'm currently pursuing a sub-contracting agreement with a business in the United States who has asked me to submit a W-9 or an ITIN. I am confused, as it is my understanding that as a Canadian business owner, I am responsible to the Canadian Government, and that countries have agreements with each other for contract work to each other. Can anyone clarify possibly that has had some experience in this area?

Thanks!

Just an update: I spoke with a senior tax official at the Canada Revenue Agency. He stated that a business like mine operating from Canada and contracting to a U.S. business is responsible to the Canadian tax regulations only. To him, it sounds as though the PC was treating me as an employee, not a contractor; which would require consultation with the IRS.

I've followed up with the PC and explained the difference in offering my services as a contractor/self-employed individual vs an employee to try and clear up any of the confusion.

Just an update: I spoke with a senior tax official at the Canada Revenue Agency. He stated that a business like mine operating from Canada and contracting to a U.S. business is responsible to the Canadian tax regulations only. To him, it sounds as though the PC was treating me as an employee, not a contractor; which would require consultation with the IRS.

I've followed up with the PC and explained the difference in offering my services as a contractor/self-employed individual vs an employee to try and clear up any of the confusion.

Hi there,

There are several different uses for the 1099 and different 1099's. I believe he was thinking of the 1099-Misc. When I subcontracted for a computer firm last year, I needed her to issue me a 1099-misc in order to show my income to the IRS. This for is only used in the United States to show miscellaneous income, whether from the sale of an item or for services provided. You won't need one because you operate in Canada, so your tax guy was correct.

LindaQ

lindaloo06@yahoo.com

Villa Linda Business Solutions, LLC