Dana Fortier

This Forum is WAY too quiet!

Okay ladies and gents - Your brand spankin' new moderator of this forum is on the "case" (HA!) and we're going to get this forum ACTIVE!! :yay:

I'm looking through some articles about VAs and attorneys and every week, on Friday, I'll post the link to an article with some questions for us to discuss, digest and dissect. We're a smart bunch of cookies (mmmm....cookies :naughty: ) and usually fairly vocal, so let's get going!!

For starters, if you work with attorneys virtually, or would like to work with attorneys virtually, be sure to pop in here, let us know who you are, what your skills are - 'cuz you never know who someone knows. There might be business out there for you.

As for me - I love, love LOVE litigation. When I grow up I want my VA practice filled with attorneys and small firms that need litigation management that they don't want to tie up their office staff for. This can be done very easily virtually.

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Hi, Dana!

My experience in legal is quite old. I received an AAS Degree in Legal Administrative back in 1993, worked for an in-house attorney filing court documents, preparing forms, and transcription. I really enjoyed it, but ended up in an entirely different industry working in the administrative field for the last 13 years (go figure). Do I want to return? Sure! I'd love to! I sometimes check the job boards to see what is out there so that I can get my feet wet again and gain some further knowledge in the field - doing that p/t would be ideal if I were to search for something outside my home office.

I did "toy" with immigration law for a very short while as a VA. It was rather difficult not knowing much about it and not working in the attorney's office. Luckily, she was very nice and her assistant had a lot of patience. If I had to do it over again, I probably would opt to go in for some training. At the time, it just didn't fit well with my schedule. It just was not the right type of law for me. I'm sure I lost a few brain cells after that one! :)

I welcome your expert advice on what types of services someone like myself could provide to attorneys now. Being out of the industry for so long, I know many things have changed. I want to maintain my confidence level when offering services to attorneys, so I would really enjoy hearing what some good starters would be.

I will have to go back out and look at the threads to this subject to see if anything has been posted in regards to general services you can provide to attorneys. I'm sure basic information such as that is a huge benefit to those wanting to tackle that field.

Thank you, Dana!

Okay ladies and gents - Your brand spankin' new moderator of this forum is on the "case" (HA!) and we're going to get this forum ACTIVE!! :yay:

I'm looking through some articles about VAs and attorneys and every week, on Friday, I'll post the link to an article with some questions for us to discuss, digest and dissect. We're a smart bunch of cookies (mmmm....cookies :naughty: ) and usually fairly vocal, so let's get going!!

For starters, if you work with attorneys virtually, or would like to work with attorneys virtually, be sure to pop in here, let us know who you are, what your skills are - 'cuz you never know who someone knows. There might be business out there for you.

As for me - I love, love LOVE litigation. When I grow up I want my VA practice filled with attorneys and small firms that need litigation management that they don't want to tie up their office staff for. This can be done very easily virtually.

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Michelle, if you're looking for a field that has a lot of growth right now (especially in your state!), take a look at bankruptcy. Filings are through the roof, and a lot of this type of work can be done virtually. If you were to learn electronic case filing, you could be very useful.

I have a couple of superstar VAs helping me with overflow work; one of them has some bankruptcy training, but the other doesn't, and she is nevertheless extremely useful to me.

I happen to love bankruptcy, so I'm a little biased, but it can be an interesting field to work in, and often involves all sorts of other law fields (real estate, estates and trusts, litigation, personal injury, probate, class action, and so on). There's always something new to learn, and you provide a valuable social service to a lot of people in need at the same time :)

Dana,

Even lawyers need accountants..... :thumbup: I would love to work with legal beagles. Let me know if you need anyone to work with your clients on their accounting issues.

I'll "connect" with you on LinkedIn in case you would like to review my profile for more about my accounting "history". I'm working on my new website and soon will be launching it to all VA's who need accounting help for their clients.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!! :cheers:

Kris

Hi, Leanne!

I appreciate your feedback. I know that bankruptcy is pretty popular. I'm sure that there is opportunity there. Willing to learn! That's for sure!

I will have to find some resources and check into it.

Thank you so much!

Michelle, if you're looking for a field that has a lot of growth right now (especially in your state!), take a look at bankruptcy. Filings are through the roof, and a lot of this type of work can be done virtually. If you were to learn electronic case filing, you could be very useful.

I have a couple of superstar VAs helping me with overflow work; one of them has some bankruptcy training, but the other doesn't, and she is nevertheless extremely useful to me.

I happen to love bankruptcy, so I'm a little biased, but it can be an interesting field to work in, and often involves all sorts of other law fields (real estate, estates and trusts, litigation, personal injury, probate, class action, and so on). There's always something new to learn, and you provide a valuable social service to a lot of people in need at the same time :)