applause.gif First off, I am very new to posting messages as well as to the topic of VA's. I am at present in the research stage and although I am interested in being a VA, I want to be sure I not wasting my time and money before jumping in with both feet. I am interested in the Red Deer College program and would love any feed back offered. Is it a good program? Are there programs that are better? Thanks very much I look forward to your replies!! thumbup.gif

Hi Tiffeny, and welcome to the group!

I believe that the program at Red Deer College is quite new. Personally I don't know of anyone who is in the program or has been through it, so unfortunately I don't have any feedback, good or bad, to offer.

Having said that, most VA's that I am familiar with have not been through any VA specific program at all. They are using various skills that they have acquired throughout the years and developing their business around that. Everyone learns new things as they go along running their business, and that is how your business keeps being enhanced and growing.

On the other hand, there are some VA's who have been through various programs (Naomi on this board has been through AssistU and has found it very beneficial to her), and I have heard both good and bad about these programs. To decide if it is for you, talk to people who have taken the various programs and see what they think.

What is your background Tiffeny?

Lori

smile.gif

Hi Tiffeny: smile.gif

As Lori mentioned, I am a strong proponent for Assistu.com. In my opinion they are the best out there. smile.gif

One suggestion I have for you, and this is one of the ways that helped me make my decision to go with AssistU, is to research the Internet and find graduates. Instead of asking for AssistU for a list of their graduates, I went on the Internet and did a search for "AssistU graduate." I then contacted each of the VAs that appeared for AssistU and asked them for their pros and cons. I like getting feedback in this manner, because I am not going from a list of preselected VAs chosen by the organization. All of the VAs I spoke with could not say enough great things about AssistU. The only con I heard two or three times was the expense of the training, AssistU definitely is not cheap. Though all of the VAs I spoke with felt like I do now. It was worth every penny.

I would suggest doing a similar research, "Red Deer College VA graduate," or whatever the program is called and see what appears for you. smile.gif

Ladies...thanks so much to the excellent advise!! I was feeling discouraged and confused prior to checking out this forum. I am certainly glad that I was directed to check you all out!! I am looking forward to talking more with you!

Hi and Welcome Tiffeny!!

This inarguably the BEST VA forum on the net!! When I first found this place(and I had tried my hand at others) I was kinda lost...and with the help of many VA's here I got back on track and am doing very well now!!

It's (being a VA) not a get rich quick business that's for sure!! It will take hard work and perseverance on your part to make it become a reality!!

As was said in previous posts.....read read read...what's already in the forum archives and you will come to an understanding about alot of things in the VA world!!

Then remember..we are here to assist you in your endeavors!! wub.gif

HTH

kimmer biggrin.gif

Kimmer,

Thanks so very much. I already feel so welcomed and supported. I look forwarded to getting to know all of you better and to reading over previous posts as you have so wisely suggested. Thanks again. thankyou.gifstiffdrink.gif Cheers to All!!

Hi Tiffeny,

I have never taken the program at Red Deer College but do support it knowing the people behind this college curriculum. Many of the teachers in this program are highly rated. I know Michelle Jamieson offers one of the courses on marketing and you can view her website at www.mjva.ca. I am an associate of her company and highly recommend her. As for others, I only know about AssistU and would recommend that as well being that Naomi had such a wonderful experience with them.

Tawnya

Hi Tawnya,

Thanks so much for the post. I have actually looked at Michelle's site and was impressed but was hoping to hear from someone, like yourself, that has insight into the industry and the woman behind the web page.

I am really leaning towards the Red Deer program for many reasons. I just worry about increasing my debt load as I see the best option in going this route includes securing a student loan.

It is a catch 22 as I want to be as prepared as possible to decrease the risk of failure but I also do not want to increase my debt load only to find that I can not make a living as a VA.

Thanks again for the info as it is very helpful. Also thanks for making this site possible...I would be stubbling in the dark if not for it.

Tiffeny