Sign in to follow this  
Guest TankeryankerII

xp or Vista

Guest TankeryankerII

I need to replace my desktop.

all things being equal, would you go with xp pro or vista. I have Vista on my laptop and have had some problems with it, but not a lot.

Guest TankeryankerII

Yes, most of the companies stil sell XP as Vista was such a wash. I went ahead and bought both OSs as a package deal.

I bought my laptop last year with XP Pro loaded and the option for Vista. I never put Vista on it. I've heard the upcoming Windows 7 has received good reviews and is due out in October (last known release timeline). If you can hold off, I'd wait for it. Also, depending on the model you get, you MIGHT be able to buy your pc now and get the upgrade option to Windows 7 when it is available:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx

I just bought an HP with Vista. XP is no more-believe me, I tried. So far, I've had no issues, but it's only been a couple of months. I, too, was told the next version (Windows 7) will be fantastic. Keep in mind, though, as with any new system, there will be kinks that need to be worked out in the beginning...

I couldn't get XP when I bought last year either. I ended up with Vista as a result, and I don't like it at all. I've learned to live with it, but I wish I could have gotten XP and then waiting for Windows 7, because apparently they are very similar.

And because I bought a new computer, I didn't want to uninstall Vista and install XP (just in case!) so I continue to curse it regularly (but it doesn't quit on me or anything, it just to verify almost every move I make when I'm working - it is soooo frustrating!).

Tracey

Used to be I would scream XP from the rooftops, but with Windows 7 coming out in October, that changes things because you cannot do a real upgrade from XP to 7. You have to basically wipe the computer. You can upgrade from Vista.

So, the worst you have is you'll hate it for 2 months and then upgrade to something that (hopefully) doesn't suck.

Ok, I'm going to be in the minority here, but I love Vista. I have had zero issues with it. You just have to make sure you get all the service packs put on and it runs like a dream. That said, Windows 7 is just around the corner. I would look for a computer that comes with Vista but also a certificate for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out.

You can turn off the feature that makes you verify all that crap every time you do it. I can't remember how I did it, but I found out how to do it by googling (just can't remember what I googled - it was over a year ago when I did it).

Guest Nancy Lynch

Although I have nothing to compare it with as Vista is my first system I have used. I do not seem to have issues with it. In regards to be asked for permission all the time for doing things, when it pops up and you have to hit "allow for" there is a box underneath you can click it remember the "allow for" and it does not come up again. You have to do this for each one that comes up so you can decide if you want to or not. I do not know if that is the issue that was talked about.

Nancy