My First Ever Website - Would Love Some Feedback

Hello

A few months ago I got some very helpful responses to my post asking if it was possible to learn HTML and build your own website - I guess it is because I've finally done it :) . It took me a while but I've enjoyed the experience even though I'm now nearly bald :wacko: .

Dreamweaver seemed like a great option but it was just too expensive to purchase for one website so I bought a couple of "Dummies" books and designed the website (however, I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the "positioning" chapter and it didn't look so great but it gave me the basics I needed to know on HTML and CSS. I then downloaded the 30 day free trial of Dreamweaver and was able to produce my website.

You'll see that I'm definitely not an expert in the website field but I'd love some expert feedback from this group - just go easy on me, I'm sensitive :blush: .

Thanks for your time and thanks to Tawnya for her time and patience (with me) getting it online.

www.bushmillsva.com

Take care

Gillian

Guest LMFaust
Hello

A few months ago I got some very helpful responses to my post asking if it was possible to learn HTML and build your own website - I guess it is because I've finally done it :) . It took me a while but I've enjoyed the experience even though I'm now nearly bald :wacko: .

Dreamweaver seemed like a great option but it was just too expensive to purchase for one website so I bought a couple of "Dummies" books and designed the website (however, I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the "positioning" chapter and it didn't look so great but it gave me the basics I needed to know on HTML and CSS. I then downloaded the 30 day free trial of Dreamweaver and was able to produce my website.

You'll see that I'm definitely not an expert in the website field but I'd love some expert feedback from this group - just go easy on me, I'm sensitive :blush: .

Thanks for your time and thanks to Tawnya for her time and patience (with me) getting it online.

www.bushmillsva.com

Take care

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

Fantastic job!! :thumbup: Time well spent!

Linda

Your website looks very nice. It is not cluttered and easy to navigate. Well done.

Nice job! Don't forget to register and add your site to the VAnetworking Directory. ;)

Patty Dost

Time Is Of The Es-Cents . . . Saving Your Business Time and Money ~~~ Virtually

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

ANSWER :: They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!

It's FREE :: It's FUN :: And you'll get something DONE :: Download yours now.

Hello

Just wanted to thank you all for your responses - at least I'll sleep tonight now.

Thanks again.

Gillian

Gillian, those who know me well know I tend to judge a website not just by how it looks, but also by what's "under the hood." I'm a clean code freak, and I have to say, you've done a really good job, particularly for a first timer's web site. You should be very proud.

My only caution to you would be that you should be very careful about writing copy in Word and then pasting it into Dreamweaver. If you look at the source of your code, you'll see lots of class="MsoNormal" entries, which is what icky Word does when you try to use it for web development. It can be hard for people to get used to the idea of drafting their copy directly in their web authoring software, so if that just seems too awkward to you, the best thing to do is to copy your text from Word, paste it into Notepad to remove the formatting, and then copy and paste again into Dreamweaver. You'll have a lot fewer issues with funky formatting that way.

Guest Pat Z.

Way to go Gillian! I am really impressed - you did a great job.

Gillian, those who know me well know I tend to judge a website not just by how it looks, but also by what's "under the hood." I'm a clean code freak, and I have to say, you've done a really good job, particularly for a first timer's web site. You should be very proud.

My only caution to you would be that you should be very careful about writing copy in Word and then pasting it into Dreamweaver. If you look at the source of your code, you'll see lots of class="MsoNormal" entries, which is what icky Word does when you try to use it for web development. It can be hard for people to get used to the idea of drafting their copy directly in their web authoring software, so if that just seems too awkward to you, the best thing to do is to copy your text from Word, paste it into Notepad to remove the formatting, and then copy and paste again into Dreamweaver. You'll have a lot fewer issues with funky formatting that way.

Thanks Leanne and everyone else for your comments.

The code probably looked a lot better in my first attempt then as I was just typing it in HTML. However, when I saw that handy button in Dreamweaver that let me shove words and formatting into the site without thinking, I couldn't resist the lazy approach but I'll definitely look into that now.

Thanks again everyone (especially LindaQ for the virtual beer as it's the only type I'm allowed at 5 months' pregnant!!!!)

Take care

Gillian

Fantastic job Gillian! I like your website! I need to get on the ball and get mine finished! I am trying to figure it all out as to how I want to do my content and all. Lots to think about.

Thanks Sandra (and everyone else again for your positive comments, my head will be getting bigger than my belly at this rate :mellow: )

I know what you mean, it does help once you know your content. I worked my way through the VAC and was constantly making notes on what I wanted on the website, so that helped me a lot. And there have been many, many changes along the way!

Good luck trying to figure it all out, I'm sure you will and it will look great - I'll be watching for it now (no pressure :whistlin: )

Take care

Gillian

Guest Denap

Great job!! I've been in the process of learning more on building websites, it's fun, I've done several, but am looking to do a new one in Wordpress, that's my goal. :thumbup:

Fantastic job Gillian! I like your website! I need to get on the ball and get mine finished! I am trying to figure it all out as to how I want to do my content and all. Lots to think about.

Thanks Sandra (and everyone else again for your positive comments, my head will be getting bigger than my belly at this rate :mellow: )

I know what you mean, it does help once you know your content. I worked my way through the VAC and was constantly making notes on what I wanted on the website, so that helped me a lot. And there have been many, many changes along the way!

Good luck trying to figure it all out, I'm sure you will and it will look great - I'll be watching for it now (no pressure :whistlin: )

Take care

Gillian