Shalisha

7 cents per line seems cheap

Question: I recently started working as an IC with a really great company as a Legal VA. They are paying 7 cents per line. I've never done this before in terms of getting paid by line. I've always gotten paid by the hour. I have over 20 years legal secretary experience so I'm not wet behind the ears.

But honestly, is 7 cents per line cheap? Can I make a living off that? Also, is it possible to make a decent living doing work charging by the line? What is the going rate per line? Also, do you ever get raises per line after you've been with a company for a while. I'm with a very good company by the way in terms of their reputability.

Hi Shalisha,

I'm sure someone will stop by that can better answer your $ question, but I will say that if you can charge by the line or project, you will (in general) be more successful money-wise. People know exactly what to expect. The good is if you do it faster than you would hourly, but of course the reverse could also be true. I will tell you that it mostly evens out for me these days. I do bookkeeping and try to put everyone a monthly fee set price.

Hi Shalisha,

I'm sure someone will stop by that can better answer your $ question, but I will say that if you can charge by the line or project, you will (in general) be more successful money-wise. People know exactly what to expect. The good is if you do it faster than you would hourly, but of course the reverse could also be true. I will tell you that it mostly evens out for me these days. I do bookkeeping and try to put everyone a monthly fee set price.

Thank you so much! I do type 85WPM so that's a good thing. With this company they don't charge by the piece, they do it by line. Thanks again for your feedback and help.

Shalisha, I am going to move this post over to the legal area as you will get a better response there. In future, check to see what forum topic your question would best fit under and post it there to get a quicker answer.

Warmly,

Tawnya

"Can you make a good living as a Legal VA?"

No, but as an illegal VA...you can make bank! (drumroll)

Thank you, thank you. I will be appearing all this week at 'The Turquoise Lounge', please don't forget to tip you bartenders and cocktail waitresses. :clown: It's good to be back.

Notwithstanding Brent's irreverence (it's nice to have you back...I think...), are you doing transcription for this rate? If so, I'd time myself doing a few projects for this company, and compare what I'm getting to my hourly rate to see if it's worth doing.

Salisha:

You can certainly make good money as a Legal VA - but what you are speaking of sounds like subcontracting - which is not the same as running your own practice. When you subcontract, the rate is generally much less than you would or could charge providing services directly to your own clients.

Are you interested in straight transcription or are you looking to open your own practice offering other services? Once you define the services you prefer to offer, then you can determine how much you feel the market will bear and work through your pricing.

Salisha:

You can certainly make good money as a Legal VA - but what you are speaking of sounds like subcontracting - which is not the same as running your own practice. When you subcontract, the rate is generally much less than you would or could charge providing services directly to your own clients.

Are you interested in straight transcription or are you looking to open your own practice offering other services? Once you define the services you prefer to offer, then you can determine how much you feel the market will bear and work through your pricing.

Hi Andrea. Thanks for responding. I'm not sure if you purposely reached out - as in olive branch. It's me - remember? We had a misunderstanding for which I really apologize. But anyway, I have my own legal transcription company and I've got tons of work from my major client. I get paid by the hour from them. But I recently got hired by a major company as an IC. I start tomorrow. I also got another lawyer/client for whom I do independent work for.

I am currently running my own legal transcription company and want to hire a team. I have no clue what I'm doing, that's why I purchased VAC. But still, even though I have plenty of work from my major client, typing is not what I want to do forever. I want to hire the subcontractors to work for me. But for now, this pays the bills. My real love and passion is writing articles and creating website content. Thanks for reaching out.

Salisha:

No olive branch, just trying to help a newbie.

Thanks for the apology.

Not sure how to help you... you seem to have the legal transcription part all worked out and you have the VBBS for getting your writing/website content practice up to speed.

Of course, if you need anything specific... I'm here.

Salisha:

No olive branch, just trying to help a newbie.

Thanks for the apology.

Not sure how to help you... you seem to have the legal transcription part all worked out and you have the VBBS for getting your writing/website content practice up to speed.

Of course, if you need anything specific... I'm here.

Thanks, I really appreciate it:)