Oh wise ones, what are your thoughts around this topic . . .

• What is the etiquette for subcontractor testimonials?
  • If the sub works directly with the client(s) and the client(s) offers a testimonial, can the sub accept and put this on their own website? The client would be speaking directly about this individual's performance BUT the individual is acting as a representative of the multi-va business.
  • Would the testimonial be placed on both the multi-va site and the sub's site?
  • Do (or should) multi-va's place testimonials about their subs on their own sites?

~Ruth

Since a testimonial is just that, a testament to validate work performance, ethics, profesionalism etc., I would think the sub could use the clients testimonial. They are the professional the client came in contact with. I would think the multi-va could use a separate testimonial from the client (based on their interaction).

As for multi-va's putting testimonials on subs sites, why not? The relationship between a VA and her sub can be classified as a client based interaction.

I am interested to hear others replies...

Marisa Skolnick

www.actualdelegation.com

The multi-VA contractor should be so happy and proud to have subs that garner specific individual testimonials. What a recruiting success!.

The testimonial for Sue Sub would probably be displayed in better taste with the sub, but the multi-VA should be able to post a testimonial that Joe Client was extremely satisfied (more of Joe's words than that) with the service provided.

Multi-VA businesses would have to trust Sue Sub that she wouldn't grab Joe Client for herself, but surely that is part of her treasure so appreciated by Joe. Unless (and EVEN if) she wants to remain a sub for the rest of her business life, she can benefit from the testimonial.

1. Remaining a sub the rest of her business life makes this a nice 'stroking' perk from her multi-VA who doesn't want to lose her but may not be able to offer other acknowledgment (such as more $$)
  2. Looking to go independent at some future date, this testimonial, made in the passion of the immediate project, will help her in the future. It becomes a best wishes gesture when Sue Sub becomes independent but is still friends.
  3. In the event that they don't part friends, Sue Sub still pleased Joe to the immediate benefit of both VA receivers 'in the passion of the project', so keep the testimonial and move on; don't burden the karma of Joe's appreciation with negative relationships that can and do happen.
  4. The displays can be handled according to the policies of the multi-VA. Some relationships are kind of top secret until the Client is assigned. Some potential clients don't want to think their work is going to a 'stable' of VAs until they know more about the service and can be presented the wisdom of working with a professional group. A multi-VA can surely give Sue Sub a professional testimonial to add to Joe's, appreciating her excellent work on all projects.
See what happens when you ask a question? You get a term paper!

Ok, after reading the above thoughts, I certainly can see where you all are coming from, but.....I see it in a different light.

The person giving the testimonial is the client of the Multi-VA owner, not the sub. I, as the Multi-VA owner am the client to the Sub.

If one of my clients gave a testimonial about a team member of mine I would certainly want to promote that in any way - i.e. putting on my own website, shouting it to the world, what ever. For example, having a section that says "here is what some of our clients have to say about our team", etc. on my website would be ideal.

I would then turn around and write a testimonial for my team member (i.e. the Sub) to put on their website. Stating how wonderful they are to have as a member of my team and how much my clients like working with them, etc.

This is certainly great food for thought as I am in the process of doing a total re-vamp of my website. I will definitely be adding a section on there for team member testimonials. Cuz MY TEAM ROCKS! :lol:

Kristy, you don't keep your team hidden, which gives you different options for acknowledging admiration. I know that your team "rides for the brand" because you treat them well and always watch for ways to treat them "more".

Not mentioned earlier, but I think acknowledging individual subs has it's place too. I don't care for 'keeping all things equal'; if a sub really shines, by golly, the rest of the good team will be pleased to see her flags flying.

WOW Judy - that was great for you to say. I do love my team. I take good care of them, and they take good care of me. The client benefits from it all!

Kristy, you don't keep your team hidden, which gives you different options for acknowledging admiration. I know that your team "rides for the brand" because you treat them well and always watch for ways to treat them "more".

Not mentioned earlier, but I think acknowledging individual subs has it's place too. I don't care for 'keeping all things equal'; if a sub really shines, by golly, the rest of the good team will be pleased to see her flags flying.

The person giving the testimonial is the client of the Multi-VA owner, not the sub. I, as the Multi-VA owner am the client to the Sub.

I agree wholeheartedly and for the above reason I started this discussion to see what the etiquette is.

I would then turn around and write a testimonial for my team member (i.e. the Sub) to put on their website. Stating how wonderful they are to have as a member of my team and how much my clients like working with them, etc.

This is a winning alternative. A very nice touch to help showcase the team with a team testimonials webpage and give something back to the sub.

~Ruth

As a business owner (with no subs) and as a Sub, I love praise and absolutely live for it.

Whenever I get praise, I want to wave the "flag" from the highest mountain. But with that being said, if my client said that she didn't want me to post HER (that's the key here) client's comments on my site then I would completely respect her wishes (she is my client and I would not want to lose her business).....but I would sure hope that she would give me her own testamonial for my site b/c I'm good at what I do ;)

Happy Friday to all! I love our forum, we have good convos!

This is a great question!!!

I'm veering towards Kristi's view that it's my client (as the multi-VA owner). I can see where it would get very confusing for clients and encourage client poaching if the client sees Sue Sub as "their VA" who works directly for them rather than the company...

Let's say this is a relationship where Sub Sue does all Joe Client's work, but that MultiVA Moira actually schedules the work, checks it is on progress, checks the end result for consistency and then makes sure Joe Client gets billed correctly. MultiVA Moira is doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff which Joe Client might not see, and which costs money to do. Joe Client sees his testimonial on Sub Sue's website by googling his name and her rates @ $10 less per hour than what he is paying MultiVA Moira - doesn't that encourage client poaching?

(Of course Sub Sue should refuse the work, but all too sadly we see that they don't...)

Edited by carolinemelville

As a multi-VA team leader, I agree with Kristi. When I get testimonials from clients, I post to my site but give my subs a testimonial. I also share all positive feedback with the entire team.

I've went through some struggles building a team, but I have an awesome one now! :thumbup:

~Karen

This is a great question!!!

I'm veering towards Kristi's view that it's my client (as the multi-VA owner). I can see where it would get very confusing for clients and encourage client poaching if the client sees Sue Sub as "their VA" who works directly for them rather than the company...

Let's say this is a relationship where Sub Sue does all Joe Client's work, but that MultiVA Moira actually schedules the work, checks it is on progress, checks the end result for consistency and then makes sure Joe Client gets billed correctly. MultiVA Moira is doing a lot of behind the scenes stuff which Joe Client might not see, and which costs money to do. Joe Client sees his testimonial on Sub Sue's website by googling his name and her rates @ $10 less per hour than what he is paying MultiVA Moira - doesn't that encourage client poaching?

(Of course Sub Sue should refuse the work, but all too sadly we see that they don't...)

This plan would certainly keep things on the straight track to avoid hurt feelings and misunderstandings. I take my recommendations back. CLEAR on a different topic, but clients, multi-s and subs should all have a printed protocol for taking or giving assignments or requesting work. Clients can in blissful ignorance make calls or requests that mess up the chain. I won't get into that this time.

Guest John Houston

Ok, after reading the above thoughts, I certainly can see where you all are coming from, but.....I see it in a different light.

If one of my clients gave a testimonial about a team member of mine I would certainly want to promote that in any way - i.e. putting on my own website, shouting it to the world, what ever. For example, having a section that says "here is what some of our clients have to say about our team", etc. on my website would be ideal.

This is certainly great food for thought as I am in the process of doing a total re-vamp of my website. I will definitely be adding a section on there for team member testimonials. Cuz MY TEAM ROCKS! laugh.gif

This sounds like a perfect solution. Both parties can get credit: the sub for doing good work and the owner for hiring and training a good sub.