maplewoodva

LinkedTricks at LinkedIn = Possible Virus

It appears that there is a possible virus circulating among the LinkedIn connections. If you receive an email recommending LinkedTricks DO NOT click the link.

Yesterday evening my LinkedIn account sent out generated messages to all of my connections. The sharp eye of a friend quickly realized this wasn't my typical email language or behavior and dropped me an email to clarify. Her quick response aided me in sending out notifications this morning to the others on the list reminding them to NOT click the link.

I've Googled LinkedTricks but can't find anything positive or negative about it so please yield on the side of caution and send this one to your trashcan.

If you did click, then change your LinkedIn password and run your anti-virus software.

Thanks,

~Ruth

Guest kewlwm

This is the email being sent out with the possible virus. I've left off the .exe at the end:

Subject:
LinkedTricks - very useful utility, highly recommended!

LinkedTricks allows you to send unlimited messages to anyone and view unlimited number of profiles without paying for InMails or premium membership. You can download it here

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was followed by an email reportedly from LinkedIn customer service the next day:

Subject:
Important Security Message Regarding Email Entitled 'LinkedInTricks'

Dear ______,

We are writing you because we have reason to believe that a URL containing a virus may have been sent to you through a communication from one of your LinkedIn contacts. The communication is entitled "LinkedInTricks - very useful utility, highly recommended". We suggest that you take the following proactive steps to ensure that you identify whether your computer has any virus or malware; and, if so, take steps to help eliminate them.

1. There are a number of solutions to assist in identifying if your computer has any virus or malware; and, if so, to remove the virus and/or malware. One such solution that has been shown to work is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or you can try your own anti-virus/malware solutions.

2. Once you have used one of these solutions, it is important that you change your password on your LinkedIn account. To change your password, please visit LinkedIn.com and click on "Account & Settings" found in the upper right hand corner of your home page. Then, scroll down and under Personal Information, click on "Change Password."

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

If you need further assistance with this issue please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Service Team by clicking here.

Sincerely,

April Kelly, Customer Operations

LinkedIn Corporation

I don't know if either email is legit, but I do know not to click links in emails received in unsolicited emails - even if one looks like it is a 'helping hand' after a potentially 'malevolent' one.