success

I Have Two General Questions-please respond

Hello, Everyone

I have two general questions that popped up in my head as I was viewing the site:

1. If, your family or friends needs your services, would you likewise charge them?

and

2. When people ask you "What do you do for a living"? How do you respond to that? Because some people are just clueless as to what a Virtual Assistant or Virtual Professional is or do..

Thanks for your time,

success

I try not to work with family. If I do, it is one specific thing and I don't charge. It's so not worth the hassle, IMHO.

I would just say something like, "I work as an administrative assistant from my home office using email/fax/etc" and if that doesn't work, just tell them you work at home *laugh* I dunno, I can always say "virtual bookkeeper" which most people get.

I try not to work with family. If I do, it is one specific thing and I don't charge. It's so not worth the hassle, IMHO.

I would just say something like, "I work as an administrative assistant from my home office using email/fax/etc" and if that doesn't work, just tell them you work at home *laugh* I dunno, I can always say "virtual bookkeeper" which most people get.

I do basically the same thing for family as Candy. If they offered to pay, I might take it.

I tell them I work in my own fully equipped office. They don't believe me.

I'm the same as Candy....if I do work for family, it is always free and only when I have spare time which they are all aware of. As for people asking me what I do, I tell them I help business entrepreneurs succeed and make money with their business by offering them help with their administrative (or whatever services you offer) services online allowing the clients to have the extra time to do the things they want to do.

vainsiders.jpg

Okay, so I'll throw a wrench in the works.

First Question: I DO work with a family member and I DO charge her. She had to sign a Retainer Agreement and I treat her like a regular client. She does get a discount, but due to recent events - I'm either going to raise her rate or drop her altogether. I believe in this particular instance if I didn't charge her for the work that I perform, then she would have little respect for me (not that she's overwhelmed with it anyway).

Second question: Whenever someone asks me what I do, I tell them I'm a Legal VA - a virtual assistant that supports attorneys remotely.

Hello, Everyone

Thanks so much for the tips and advice, its all very good. I like the info I just received. Its very helpful. You are right to not to deal with the family thing to much. I had a friend ask me about typing up her Business Plan because she is not a fast typer and don't have time. But, when she realize it was going to be a fee, she didn't contact me back about it. And, now she barely speaks with me.

Thanks also for summarizing what do I tell people "what do I do for a living". It was starting to get confusing and I end up going into a entire presentation, and at the end I realize maybe if I just had three-five words to summarize what I do, it would be better. Because after my Presentation or Introductory speech as I call it, I have lost there interest with too much info and all they ask was: What do I do for a living?

So, trust the tips hear I received today was very helpful. Its best to know when to speak, not speak, and not to give out to much info all at once. And, Iam rambling again, so let me stop here. (smile)

Thanks everyone,

I would have to agree with everyone...working with family can be hard sometimes, unless they have their own small business - they usually don't expect your services for free... it would have to be a case-by-case basis... Also, when someone asks "the question"...I say I am a virtual assistant...get that blank stare from them, then say, "it is an administrative assistant working from home."

Kim

I would have to agree with everyone...working with family can be hard sometimes, unless they have their own small business - they usually don't expect your services for free... it would have to be a case-by-case basis... Also, when someone asks "the question"...I say I am a virtual assistant...get that blank stare from them, then say, "it is an administrative assistant working from home."

Kim

Hi, Kim

Thanks for the feedback. I do get that blank look when I tell people that Iam VA (that duh type of look), then that is when I go into that presentation mode of what I do. At times they get and at times they don't. But, I do like the feedback from you and everyone else here, well appreciated.

success

Guest bevking

Wow, it was fun watching all of the different responses to this. But, I too would not work for family. I have a niece that wanted to work with me, and I told her I loved her, but no, and that I would help her in her own virtual Assistant business, which I did, and now she is thriving.

As far as the other question, I tell everyone that I am a Virtual Assistant. They almost always ask me what that is and I tell them that I am a business consultant for other businesses and/or business professionals. They seem to be content with that answer.

I loved this topic. It was very interesting.

Bev King

I work for family for free. But my family is really small and they are dying off, so it is not much of a problem anymore. :unsure:

It is friends that are an issue! I have so many friends (I know, hard to believe) and they all want free tech support. About 2 years ago, I started charging my friends at the "friend discount", they slowly stopped asking me. And if they do ask, I just tell them I am too busy and they cannot afford me. But I will let anyone pick my brain for free. (and there is a line for that too...geez)

Oh...and I just tell them I am either a forensic scientist or a Formula One race car driver. That way, I doubt if anyone would need me to solve a murder or drive their car 200mph.

Hey Dana.....If I mail a check to a lawyer, doesn't that make me someone that supports attorneys remotely! :lol:

Hello, Bev

I did enjoy your response as well. I think I may use the Business Consultant response (May I) if its okay with you? I think people can some what relate to that better.

Iam glad to know that you enjoyed this topic, as I enjoyed getting everyones feedback from it.

I have been into other networking things online, and my family and or friends either wanted free

and or at a discounted rate. And, I would always give in. But with my Business of VA as Iam more serious and passionate about (not this time) only for my mommy-smile!

Thanks everyone, Iam so enjoying the responses here. (smile)

success

Hello,

Question #1: I also, like Candy and Tawnya, provide work for my family without any charge. I also provide work for my family on my free time.

Questions #2: I tell others that I am a Virtual Assistant who provides services to businesses and entrepreneurs who are in need of administrative assistance.

By the way, great questions!

Hello,

Question #1: I also, like Candy and Tawnya, provide work for my family without any charge. I also provide work for my family on my free time.

Questions #2: I tell others that I am a Virtual Assistant who provides services to businesses and entrepreneurs who are in need of administrative assistance.

By the way, great questions!

Hi, I like your response as well. Good feedback from everyone. Everyones responses helped me as a newbie in a way to respond to people when they ask What do you do for a living? and I don't have to give a 30 minute presentation, when I have already lost there attention after 3 mins. (smile) With all the feedback from this topic, it helped me to be able to answer (professionally, kind, simple, and straight to the point) and I like that alot. Thanks

success

:thumbup:

1st- Brent-I would love to be your friend, not to pick your brain but so I could ride in your race car! rolf I love your responses on here, you always make me laugh!

#1- If I had a family/friend ask me to do work for them, I would offer my services for free IF I had time to do the project. I would not do any long term work for them-EVER, only projects.

#2- I tell people that I do virtual acctg work, but if they look at me weird --- I say I manage the accounting side of my clients' businesses so they can do what they enjoy doing.

Happy Sunday to all!

Kris Stanley-Price

KSP Accountants & Assistants

www.accountantsandassistants.com

1- I have worked for my dad, who is employed by the Kativik Regional Government up North of Quebec in Canada. He insisted that I bill him for my services. Otherwise, I must admit that I may have felt uncomfortable charging him for my work. Interesting questions.

2- I blogged about this very question recently Visit My Website and would be happy to read your comments on my post.

I can tell you one thing, it took my husband being on vacation for 3 weeks while I worked 2 of those weeks for him to truly understand what I did. I think he had the idea that I was lounging around the house all day watching soap operas and eating chocolate. Boy was he surprised at the hours I put in, the phone calls I made and took, the faxes, e-mails I responded to and the work.

:rolleyes: