rocnred

the Joomla Curve

Well, as some of you may know, I have decided to redo my computer site in Joomla. The first few days were rough, I had to do a lot of reading & learn some php code. But oh man, I really love this stuff. So far, it is amazing. There are so many options, cool modules, plug-ins, and features. I am really starting to enjoy it now. I still have a lot to learn, but isn't that half the fun? I will keep you updated. I love it now, but tomorrow may be a different day.

But here is what I do: I backup my working site, any time I work on it, to my hard drive, server, and a CD. Also I write down every username, password, database name, localhost name, email address, etc. I insert into anything, I.E. SQL database, the admin area, ftp, etc.

All that minutia keeps me sane...or at least I like to think so. :clown:

If I don't print out that database page with the password and dbo-name, etc. I get mixed up as to which one goes where. Sometimes I still do.

If you lose a piece to the jigsaw puzzle, it isn't fun anymore.

Not for the faint of heart is right ;) Rather you than me. Let's see, I could work on a Joomla site, or I could stick pins in my eyes. Wow. That's a really tough choice. I think I'll take the pins...

Guest bunnyt

I love Joomla! I started rebuilding my website in WordPress because of how much everyone on this site say's it's the best. .....Now that I am 1/2 way in - I gotta tell you, I disagree 100%! Joomla is MUCH more user friendly and the options are limitless! ...I'm thinking of going back to Joomla.

I love Joomla! I started rebuilding my website in WordPress because of how much everyone on this site say's it's the best. .....Now that I am 1/2 way in - I gotta tell you, I disagree 100%! Joomla is MUCH more user friendly and the options are limitless! ...I'm thinking of going back to Joomla.

Interesting! The only thing I know about WordPress is that you can do multi-language web sites and it has themes. But, I'll take your words to heart and also look to Joomla first.

Well, as some of you may know, I have decided to redo my computer site in Joomla. The first few days were rough, I had to do a lot of reading & learn some php code. But oh man, I really love this stuff. So far, it is amazing. There are so many options, cool modules, plug-ins, and features. I am really starting to enjoy it now. I still have a lot to learn, but isn't that half the fun? I will keep you updated. I love it now, but tomorrow may be a different day.

But here is what I do: I backup my working site, any time I work on it, to my hard drive, server, and a CD. Also I write down every username, password, database name, localhost name, email address, etc. I insert into anything, I.E. SQL database, the admin area, ftp, etc.

All that minutia keeps me sane...or at least I like to think so. :clown:

Haven't built my website yet, but I'm putting your information in a file for future reference. Because, invariably, I will remember it and wish I had bookmarked it. With a print out, I'm more likely to find it again.

Thanks,

Judy :D

I couldn't agree with you more about Joomla. I have tried it ALL and let me tell you, Joomla is the best. It's actually quite simple to learn and the possibilities are endless and the best part is that it is open source and most of the modules are also opensource. Even the cart module. It has a newsletter manager it just has SO much. I have enjoyed it so much that I have started adding web design services as one of my services.

Tracy Collins

Collins-Admin Services

Guest TankeryankerII

Are the things that you can do with Wordpress or Joomla 508 compliant?

Section 508 covers web accessibility.

You can make either of WP or Joomla 508 compliant since you mostly have control over the page templates. WP is much easier to control than Joomla though, since with Joomla there are sections of the page structure that you simply don't have access to or control over.

Joomla is already compliant as far as it goes. You don't have to change a thing in it. It already has options for text based buttons and menus, and is no harder to create a compliant site in than plain HTML, WordPress, or any other good Content Management System.

ADA Accessibility has less to do with the template or site structure than it does with how you create content, and what kind of content you put up. The template will determine navigation, which an amazing number of people will create with images without putting in alt tags, but other than that, the template doesn't have much to do with it. You can make ANY structure compliant, or non-compliant, primarily by what you add to it.

If you put Captcha on a page, you may have an issue (but not certainly). If you put in a lot of video without transcripts, or audio without transcripts, you are gonna have a problem. If you try to use Flash for navigation, you're locking out more than just the disabled.

There is also a HUGE range of scope in what "compliant" means. The legislation has a clause in there about "reasonable efforts", that do not place an unreasonable burden on the business owner. That means the compliance standards for a low budget business are actually different than for a larger business. There are no hard and fast rules about what you HAVE to do, there are some basic common sense guidelines which are actually fairly simple to comply with if you know you should.

At it's most basic, if your site is Search Engine Friendly, then it is going to be ADA accessible.

Sorry, I'm rattling must be because it's getting late :)

Tracy Collins

Collins-Admin Services

I have been teaching myself Joomla this summer during my VA internship. I agree it is not for the faint of heart. It is wonderful when everything works the way it supposed to. Troubleshooting the problems though drives me crazy. I am still puzzled why after creating a new logo and naming it the same filename as the template logo, then renaming the original logo file, the logo will not show up. It is maddening. Also troubleshooting the simple image gallery plug-in that is not working on IE but works amazingly with all other browsers. I have moved onto Wordpress which thus far is behaving much better for me. I do use the Joomla forums to search for answers but have not yet been successful with implementing fixes.

Why did you choose Joomla instead of Wordpress?

My impression is Joomla is more for programmer type people and Wordpress is more for beginners.

I'm trying to decide which one I want to use.

Thanks,

Mimi