accuassist

Finding Typos That Spell-Checker Missed - Part II

Over a year ago, I posted an article from my Grammar Tips & Tidbits newsletter (formerly known as Weekly Grammar Tips) called "Finding Typos That Spell-Checker Missed." I received a great response from my readers as well as my fellow VAnetworking members, so I wrote a sequel! In this post, I'll be adding to the list of common typos that spell-checker won't catch.

When we're typing at light speed, it's very easy to skip or transpose letters. Most of the time, these mistakes result in non-words that spell-checker immediately recognizes as errors. However, we sometimes leave behind legitimate words with totally different meanings than the words we intended to type. These typos are real words, so spell-checker doesn't recognize them as errors.

Here are some additional examples of these tricky typos:

• an vs. and
  • are vs. area
  • bank vs. blank
  • bee vs. been
  • card vs. care
  • choked vs. chocked
  • contact vs. contract
  • diner vs. dinner
  • ever vs. every
  • feel vs. fell
  • files vs. flies
  • how vs. hot
  • is vs. it
  • not vs. now
  • on vs. one
  • our vs. out
  • posed vs. posted
  • provide vs. provider
  • pubic vs. public
  • quit vs. quite
  • rogue vs. rouge
  • sacred vs. scared
  • star vs. start
  • stated vs. started
  • stop vs. stoop
  • thing vs. think
  • trail vs. trial
  • who vs. how

More than anything, this list illustrates the importance of proofreading your writing—and not relying on your spell-checker! In the first post on this topic, we discussed a number of proofreading techniques for spotting these types of mistakes. If you missed it, you can read it here.

We're all pressed for time, which makes it difficult to re-read all the correspondence we send from our computers. However, if there's any chance that the recipient of your writing will be less than impressed with typos scattered throughout your e-mail message, it's crucial to proof every word before hitting the "Send" button!

Thanks for this, Angela, and thanks for the link to your original post about this topic. We all seem to be moving at the speed of light - typing AND when we have to proofread something - so I'm sure I'll find your tips quite useful. It is part of my spazzy nature to be in 5th gear most of the time. This is a good thing, for the most part, as it lends to my multi-tasking/"juggling" skills which I prize as one of my strong points, but it also means that I have to force myself to slow down and really READ what I'm looking at when proofing. I have a feeling that most of us VA's are in this same boat, so your tips are sure to be super useful to many!

Thanks again!

Marie :balloon:

Deadline Met VA Services

Guest LMFaust

Thanks Angela! One should never rely exclusively on spell check! Correct spelling of the wrong word in usage can happen too easily as your lists illustrate.

Thanks, Angela!

I'm so glad you shared this, I caught myself last night about ready to send an email that was full of typos and grammar issues. If I hadn't taken the time to read it, my client would have thought I was smoking crack!!! rolf

Seriously, though, this is an important topic and I appreciate you posting a link to your first writings on the subject! We all need a reminder to slow down and make sure our words make sense before we put them out there for all to see.

LindaQ

Thanks for your comments, ladies! I'm glad you found this helpful.

Our fingers really have memories of their own sometimes. For example, my husband's name is Justin, so every time I type the word "just," I find myself typing "justin" purely out of habit. I can only imagine what my clients would think if I sent an email with "justin" scattered throughout! LOL :blink:

It's definitely tempting to hit the "Send" button before proofreading an email, but I almost always find something that needs to be clarified or corrected, so for me it's worth the effort. It also improves general communication with my clients, which is a huge bonus!

Thanks again,

Angela