Guest Nancy Lynch

I have created my web page. Please review

Guest Nancy Lynch

Hi Everybody. I have been working on a web page for my client and thought I would do one for myself. I am still in the learning process and I am taking the Web Page Design Course in January 2010 in the Virtual Assistant Program through Red Deer College, Alberta.

It is very simple and basic and as I learn more I will adapt it. I would appreciate any feedback.

The link is virtualnancy.ca or .com

Thank you.

Nancy Lynch

Nancy's Virtual Office

Nancy,

You're doing a great job!

One thing that I did notice is that when I click on the different pages, your header and certain text jumps around.

I've heard great things about Red Deer College and the individuals that I've met that assist in the program are awesome. You will learn a great deal from them.

Great job!

Nancy, it looks real good. I would add your contact information on the bottom of your webpage.

---------------------------------

Deneen Wilson

Nancy,

Congrats on taking the classes. There are a couple of things that I noticed:

The header needs an image, and the text there should be done as an image with a character font.

The gray and orange really don't work well together, they feel unfinished.

The text is about 1 point size too large. The heading texts are also too large in comparison to the body text.

You need additional images or accents through the design.

If the design were made about 100 pixels wider, it would feel less busy, more relaxed.

Too much information in the sidebars, sidebars are suppose to be for quick information such as links, memberships, etc.

No metatags such as description and keywords

The homepage is more of an article than actually explaining to the visitor what you do, what you can offer them and how you can help.

Hope that wasn't too harsh, I know that you said you were just learning but a few of those things are quick and easy fixes that will do your site and image wonders.

Tracy Collins

Guest Nancy Lynch

Hi Tracey

I think it was a little harsh. Everyone says you have to have a web site and I am taking the course in January, which I stated and then I can learn all about pixels and font size. as to the header needs an image, I have it I Just cannot get it up to the top, and the text there should be done as an image with a character font. (I have no idea what this means) I know I have no megatags or keywords and you say that it is so easy but when you do not know anything it is not easy. I know I have to much information everywhere, and as I go on and put on my association logos and other things on there there will not be so much information. I know the colours are not great, but as of yet I do not know how to change them.(The orange is only similar to my colours) How long have you been working on your web page that you just assume everyone knows how to do things. As to my homepage, although I will change the sides as I get logos and such but I like the theme of my homepage, the about page explains who I am and what I can do, while the homepage explains a virtual assistant, which I think is important.

Although I appreciate the points and I will take them to heart, I felt they were giving in a condescending way instead of a supportive way, it was just too, too much, for me. If I had been doing my web page for a while and knew everything like you then I could understand what you are talking about and accept the points with thanks.

I think I should have waited until after I took the course to do my web page. Even still, my client was very happy with his and is willing to wait until I take the course in January to fine tune it.

Nancy

I think it was a little harsh. Everyone says you have to have a web site and I am taking the course in January, which I stated and then I can learn all about pixels and font size. as to the header needs an image, I have it I Just cannot get it up to the top, and the text there should be done as an image with a character font. (I have no idea what this means) I know I have no megatags or keywords and you say that it is so easy but when you do not know anything it is not easy. I know I have to much information everywhere, and as I go on and put on my association logos and other things on there there will not be so much information. I know the colours are not great, but as of yet I do not know how to change them.(The orange is only similar to my colours) How long have you been working on your web page that you just assume everyone knows how to do things. As to my homepage, although I will change the sides as I get logos and such but I like the theme of my homepage, the about page explains who I am and what I can do, while the homepage explains a virtual assistant, which I think is important.

Nancy

Nancy,

Take a deep breath. Writing is a hard way to communicate because you can't hear the tone of voice or facial expressions. I'm relatively new, but as far as I can tell, no one on this forum is deliberately harsh. I understand your feelings of being overwhelmed. There's so much information on this forum and all over cyberspace it gets difficult sorting out what's necessary and what's not. You can only do what you can do. I tweaked my website for a month before I wasn't embarrassed to have anyone see it. Put Tracy's list on your "things I need to learn" list and start implementing them. Visit other sites and see what everyone else is doing. When you visit a site notice what you like and don't like and implement the styles you like.

Pam Snyder

Nancy,

I’m sorry that seemed harsh to you. That was in no way my intention. I have been there. I have tried it all free hosting sites, free websites, templates, frontpage, html editors, I have tried it all and I know how hard it was to do it. When I tried all of those things, I wasn’t getting business and I couldn’t figure out why and I asked for website reviews just like you did and yeah, I had a hard time with them but when I found what was wrong and I fixed them, I started getting business from my website because I took the comments to heart and did what needed to be done. I know how hard it is to start a VA business so if I can give some pointers to make it easier for others, I will.

If you need help on any of the items in the list, just ask.

Here's an idea, download Mozilla Firefox, and install the ColorZilla plugin. It will help you match colors using the six digit "hex codes" which is how colors are matched for web pages, and which is how site builders ask you to enter colors. That will help get the colors right. If you need more help on that, I'll cheerfully answer any questions.

Tracy Collins

Guest Nancy Lynch

Just so people know my intent is not to get business from a web site. I only did it because people said I needed it. I am not using a free anything for my site , I have the CS4 Dreamweaver program and my nephew who teaches web page design is hosting my site. He normally charges $200.00/year for hosting. As for nobody being harsh, they are your words not mine.

I would have loved to have taken in your advice if it had been presented in another way. Like I know you are taking the course in January so here are some things to watch out for. Not just listed out and then at the end saying I hope that is not too harsh. If you had to say it then you know that it was.

Pam, I do not need to take a deep breath and I have done nothing but praise this association and how helpful everyone is but this has thrown me for a loop.

Thanks for the offer Tracey, and maybe if you had of put that in instead of saying "I hope that is not too harsh" I would have felt differently.

I now believe that I do not belong in this association.

Nancy

I am going to step in here before any hard feelings are put forth by anyone as I know that Tracy only had good intentions here and was trying to help.

First, I hope everyone realizes that our members here are taking time off from their business to help others in the forum. Be it website critiques or other advice asked for. Tracy's points are excellent and put in a list that is easy to go through and check off and do if wanted.

I do website critiques for a living and the first thing I tell our members here who ask for some constructive criticisms is that it is going to be very blunt and in point form so that I can get all my points out on paper to help you in the least amount of time for me (I mean I am offering my knowledge without being paid for it and only have so much time to volunteer in this area). If you want sugar coating, then this critique is not for you.

In the future, I ask all our members to please not ask for constructive criticisms if you are going to be offended by what is given to you and try not to take it personally. Know why? We truly do WANT to help you with your website or we wouldn't have taken time out of our businesses to give you some pointers. ;)

I know some points suggested in these short critiques may be above one's learning curve at the moment but feel to just ask us how to do them and someone can guide you to where to learn it or maybe even offer to help. Everyone is so giving here :)

What happens if a member gets upset from another members comments (that truly were put out there to help) is that other members will be leary of offering their thoughts in fear of upsetting that member further. In the end, the member will lose out because they don't get the value of everyone's opinions and knowledge in this area.

I hope everyone understands and can appreciate each members thoughts, advice and suggestions in the future. We are all here for you :)

Tawnya

Hi Nancy and Welcome to the forum :)

First, I'll introduce myself as I don't think we've had the chance to connect yet here on the forum.

I've been a part of this forum for about 4.5 years ... since I started my business back in Feb/05 in fact. I was so *new* to doing business online! If it weren't for VAnetworking and all the generous, honest, and sincerely helpful support I received here ... well, who knows where I'd be!

Anyway, I couldn't help but notice some tension in this thread so I hope I can assist. We work very hard here to make sure everyone and anyone who wants help and support gets exactly that. VAnetworking prides itself in being the warmest place on the web for aspiring and veteran VAs. I know the forum owner personally (Tawnya Sutherland) and believe me when I say that her heart and soul is dedicated to helping VAs like you "make it."

I've seen a lot of different VA folk come and go through this forum. It is my honest assessment that Tracy was very genuine in her desire to help you build the best website you can for your business. Starting and running a business--especially an online business--is a learning experience. In fact, you'll never stop learning! That's what makes being an entrepreneur so exciting. And scary ;)

If any of us Moderators or Admins thought ANYONE here was being disrespectful to you, we'd address the issue immediately. However, you asked for help with your site and in doing so, invited constructive criticism. Tracy's tips were just that - constructive and not intended to be abrupt.

Socializing on forums takes some getting used to because like one of the gals said here, you can't always assess intention behind the typed words on the screen.

Do know we have the best of intentions here - which are to help and support one another in our entrepreneurial journeys.

Please keep posting and asking questions, Nancy. We value your presence here!

Cheers,

Karri

Excellent words Karri - you have found a way to put into words what I have been trying to put into words all morning.

I hope that you can now understand the intention of these posts Nancy ... this is such a caring forum that I do hope that you can see that we are truly trying to help. I understand you have put your heart into this website and hopefully once you have some time to sit back you will see that the thoughts and ideas are actually meant to improve on what you have already started to create.

Every single person at this forum has nothing but the best of intentions and that is what I love so much about the VA industry is that we are truly here to help everyone no matter their expertise or experience level.

Good luck with your website and your business and remember that your website will always be a work in progress - I have been in business 3.5 years and I am always working on mine!!