maeday

Clients

Hello everyone,

I am just starting out and now I was wondering what is the best way to go about getting clients? On the average how long did it take to get your first client? I am currently w/twitter, linkedin, submit to SEOs. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Network! Get to know people. Take yourself to a BNI function or a chamber function and get to know people. You never know who knows who.

One of my clients didn't think joining the Chamber would be good for her business, but a year later she's busier than she ever thought she'd be and she's just hired 2 more graphic artists to work with her. She does all the graphics for the Chamber and about 20 of the Chamber members are her clients - and they're referring people that AREN'T Chamber members.

I wish my local Chamber did not charge so much for membership. It is $225 to join and that is way out of my price range.

-----------------------------

Deneen Wilson

Guest dawn lane
I wish my local Chamber did not charge so much for membership. It is $225 to join and that is way out of my price range.

-----------------------------

Deneen Wilson

Typing Bug

www.typingbug.com

"If typing bugs you, let me help!"

Hi Deneen

Don't look at it as an expense but an investment. $225 sounds a lot but you only need one client and you will find that fee more than covered.

My networking group costs me £184 per annum plus £8.00 per meeting - a total of £520 GBP each year (and the annual cost is half price as I am group secretary). However, I picked up a client at my very first meeting two years ago and we are still working together, so my membership costs have been more than covered. Check whether it is an expense that can be claimed against your annual tax return.

Advertising is all well and good, paid or unpaid, but most clients who link up with a VA are looking at the personal relationship as well as the business relationship and if you don't network in person, many times business will just pass you by.

Most of my clients have come from networking and although a cost, I look at it as an investment - the return I get is not just financial but many of my networking groups also act as business mentors and I can turn to anyone of them with a question and know that I will get an honest unbiased answer and also help to improve the way I run my business - this sort of knowledge would cost a lot more than the cost of my membership if spent on business coaching.

Dawn

Dawn has such a good point. IMO, a chamber with enough clout to charge membership rates like that has some members that could use your services.

If the actual amount is a real issue for now, do you know another member who could get you invited as a guest occasionally? That could be the camel's nose under the tent, so to speak. You will make some contacts in the classiest way of not promoting yourself, but getting to be recognized.

Then, start saving up your money because it is important.

One of the most difficult things to do with our business is to recognize it as just that, a business, and not let the income from any tasks get into the general fund without first examining the need for investment somewhere. I know...i have hungry times when that invoice is really needed for operations. But, it should be a decision that is laced with intent to invest part of it.

Hang in there and whet your appetite for that membership.

While I agree with all of the wonderful benefits of membership and networking with the Chamber and I looked in to it as soon as I had my business set up, if you don't have the money, you don't have the money. If you can't afford it, all the potential that product can give you really doesn't help. It isn't a matter of choosing not to spend my money in that direction. It is that I don't have it at all. So, for the time being, I am looking at low cost or free advertising until I can afford it. Some Chambers offer a reduced rate for solo entrepreneurs or offer packages with fewer benefits; however, my Chamber does not. One Virtual Assistant I spoke to said her Chamber membership was $65. Wow! That I could afford. My Chamber does offer after hours networking for non members so I still get to at least be visible for the time being.

------------------------------------

Deneen Wilson

You don't have to be a member to attend many of the events - just look at the events page for the info. I did that for a while before I was gifted with a membership.

Also go to meetup.com and look for events in your area that you feel might be a place to connect with your target market.

Yes, Meetup.com has a staggering number of networking groups and it's super easy to find the type of groups your looking for within a specific area. I initially found 6 groups that I've joined, 3 of which have regular meet-ups that I plan on starting to attend in October. You can also elect to be emailed when new meet-up groups spring up in your area. All for free!

Marie Fitzgibbons :balloon:

I checked them out as well but I live in a very rural part of Georgia so nothing is available within driving distance. Since I work full-time, it really limits me to networking opportunities during the day. I am thankful for online networking and marketing websites, forums and newsletters to keep me informed and to allow me to get my name and business out in the public. I am also working on a radio commercial with one of the local radio stations (that has webcast so the target audience is not limited).

--------------------------

Deneen Wilson

Thanks for this post! :thumbup:

I looked into the Chamber here and I already made the choice to become a VA Insider rather than become a Chamber member. My husband mentioned to me a week ago about meetup.com in conjunction with setting up something with our 8 kids who are scattered across the U.S. I didn't see how it would work for that purpose, but I didn't even think about using it for networking in my community. Duh. This makes twice he's steered me in the right direction without even knowing it. I think I'll keep him.

So I just signed up at meetup.com and have signed up for 2 groups. Thanks for the help again, everyone.

Pam Snyder

www.virtualofficepartner.net