dianna@thetruckingva.com

Submitting your URL to search Engines

Hi Everyone,

I have had my website up and running for 6 months now, and I have gone into submit my Url to search engine directories, but after this amount of time I would expect to see some results, and when I look at the tracking there is almost no visits. Can anyone give me any suggestions or point me to a tutorial that might help me with this. I would really like to be able to gain some clients after this amount of time, thinking I was somewhat visible, and not just in my own area, or my previous employers.

Thanks Dianna Lambert

Dianna,

They aren't going to come to your site just because it's up. You need to network, pass out business cards, tell your friends and family, etc. Then they'll go to your site.

I'm sure others will give great suggestions to help you out too.

I put my website address on just about everything. I put it on Facebook and Twitter quite often and on every email I send out - even if it is to a friend. You never know if that friend may have a friend in need. I even made a t-shirt for my husband with my logo and website address and my husband wears it on bowling league night <grin>. I also went on www.award-me.com and entered my website for awards which I figured may be a little cheesy but it is getting my website out there and the awards don't look bad on my website either. They send your website to 300 companies and groups that offer website awards. I figured it can't hurt. I also make sure I put my website on anything that I sign up for if it has a blank for company url. Anything that gives me the option of poking it in there, I'll take advantage of. I also went to Google Local and entered it in the local directory. Basically everywhere I can, I do.

Deneen Wilson

I agree with Patty and Deneen, you need to really get out there and market yourself and add your URL to everything. Try and do some articles and submit them to article directories with a link to her site in the resource box. Since your niche is the transportation industry write articles that would be of interest to them. Make sure your site is linked on all of your social networking sites, participate in networking, submit your site to link directories.

The saying build it and they will come is a myth. It's not that simple at all. You have to dedicate at least a couple of hours per week, consistently, just marketing your site.

Tracy Collins

There is a complete procedure if applied on website only result in the traffic generation otherwise you can't get traffic sitting back and watching your tracker daily...In other words you have to do some work to generate traffic

Guest Pat Z.

Dianna,

I can honestly say I've never gotten a client from my website (although it's pretty, it's outdated and I can't edit it - long story - boring).... that is, until this weekend - at a funeral no less! I don't know why, but I don't talk about my business a lot to my extended family; however, my link and business name are on every email to them.

My cousin passed away and while at the first night of viewing (barbaric, I know), another cousin mentioned that he was having trouble with his Quickbooks - someone promptly told him to check out my website because they thought that's what I did.

OK, now you wonderful VAs out there can help me... if he WAS married to a cousin and divorced, but his sister was married to the cousin that passed away.... is he still family - do I have to give him a discount? rolfrolfrolf

My website is (I believe) professional enough, although I would love to make changes, to pass initial muster, but I don't depend on it to draw new clients. I believe in networking, networking, networking.... or better yet....building relationships. Participate, share your knowledge, help people when needed and believe me - you will get clients.

That being said, I am working with a copywriter and web designer now to move my site to WordPress so I can actually change it when I have to. I have learned a ton in 2 years that I would actually like to implement in case someone wanders across it :)

That being said, I am working with a copywriter and web designer now to move my site to WordPress so I can actually change it when I have to. I have learned a ton in 2 years that I would actually like to implement in case someone wanders across it

Hey miss Patty!

I moved my website to WordPress about....I don't know, about 4 months ago, and I am still trying to get this darn thing out there and going!! (Good thing Splash pages exist!) Why is it not up yet? Changed theme twice - rewrote the content at least 4 times and yes, I sitll work full time with my clients and sometimes life gets in the way. :nopity:

So, with all this said...Can I get the name of your Copywriter before I totally trow in the towel? :damnputer:

Dianna,

Like everybody else said, do not depend only on your website. You have to market yourself 24/24. From your doctor, hairdresser, grocery clerk you name it. What I have realized, is that VA's are still not known out there, and more often then not you will receive this blank look when you tell them what you do!

Keep up the good work, and when you least expect it you will receive an email, or phone call that will totally change your life i.e. first client. The rest will become history real fast!

Good luck!

Elenora

Thanks for the suggestions and responding, I think I have covered all the marketing stuff. I even took our Proactive VA seminar and put it in to play, when I was the guest speaker at our chamber meeting.

I think frustration may have got the best of me, when I posted this because I am at the top of google in just about everything in my niche, I have learned and taught myself about search engines etc. I was just finding it hard to believe that my 2 new websites were getting 40x more traffic, than my VA webpage, But hey I shouldnt complain my blog is getting awesome traffic. and now that I have learned alot with SEO and search engines I just launched my "Virtual Assistant Step to SEO success" because I now know how to work the content and what is necessary in search engines.

My VA site is based on my very definite unique niche in transportation, which is a huge industry, I have several leads but hey wait until the weather gets a bit warmer and no Icy Roads It will boost more so than now, and I know things take time. :thumbup: and I am patient, heck I have been working on this for 8 months now, I am not giving up :naughty:

So again thanks for the suggestions, you are ALL wonderful.

Dianna, keep up the good work. The search engines are always looking for you; when you make regular blog posts to a self-hosted blog like WordPress, that impresses as an update and good content.

Hi Dianna,

Have to ask but what is the diff between each of your websites listed in your signature? One is a blog, correct? i.e. would it make more sense to combine them into one if they're serving a singular purpose?

More importantly though I couldn't help but notice that your websites' title tags aren't really optimized with strong keyword phrases for each page. That could make a big difference.

I'd also take a look at usability - if you get decent traffic but they're having a hard time finding what they need on your site, that can harm conversion rates.

Look at revising your headlines as well because they are a bit vague and don't really ground and engage the reader quickly (e.g. what's this page about and why should I read more?).

HTH - good luck with your SEO!

Karri

Thanks Karri, I appreciate the advice, I have been working my 2 new sites so I havent really gone into change the info I need to on my VA site, and I got a new client yesterday, which has already sent me a long list of to do's so I am hoping to go in tonight and change this information you are referring too, Thank you to everyone I love this forum because of this reason.

Hi Dianna,

Have to ask but what is the diff between each of your websites listed in your signature? One is a blog, correct? i.e. would it make more sense to combine them into one if they're serving a singular purpose?

More importantly though I couldn't help but notice that your websites' title tags aren't really optimized with strong keyword phrases for each page. That could make a big difference.

I'd also take a look at usability - if you get decent traffic but they're having a hard time finding what they need on your site, that can harm conversion rates.

Look at revising your headlines as well because they are a bit vague and don't really ground and engage the reader quickly (e.g. what's this page about and why should I read more?).

HTH - good luck with your SEO!

Karri

Hey Dianna (and the rest of my VANA peeps)!

I just found this awesome, free site that submits your Website to TONS of search engines and offers all kinds of useful tutorials and articles. Check it out!

SelfPromotion.com

Enjoy!

Hey Dianna (and the rest of my VANA peeps)!

I just found this awesome, free site that submits your Website to TONS of search engines and offers all kinds of useful tutorials and articles. Check it out!

SelfPromotion.com

Enjoy!

Wow! What a site! Thanks, Marie!

I was just reading this awesome eBook by Tawnya called Search Engine Marketing Seminar. I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here because it answers all the questions posed here. The problem is, I was on the 11th page reading about keywords, word trackers, etc, that will help you be 'found' by the little spiders, when I suddenly got an email and when I went back to my browser my wonderful article was GONE! Now I can't find it anywhere. :blush:

Can anyone tell me where I can get back to Tawnya's article "Search Engine Marketing Seminar"? It's in the VAInsider section.

Thanks,

Patty