virtualofficepartner

Dictation equipment recommendation

At the last local ministerial association meeting an older pastor was elected as secretary/treasurer. A vote was made to buy him a tape recorder to record the hour long meetings so he could take the minutes. I jumped in and volunteered my services to transcribe the recording for him for which he was extremely grateful. :angel_not: I'd like to recommend a recording device that will work well in a group setting and still be easy for me to transcribe. I'm pretty sure the answer is not a tape recorder.

What would you suggest? This may turn into some profitable work for me as several other pastors commented they may need my help some time.

Pam Snyder

www.virtualofficepartner.net

Hi Pam,

I have one client who uses a plain old tape recorder with two microphones. The quality is great and I just do a digital transfer when they give me the tapes and then I give them back a CD.

Another client uses a small digital recorder for meetings, but the sound quality is not as good in a group setting because of the single microphone. It saves time for the file transfer but I personally prefer the tape method for externally recorded meetings.

Not sure if that helps, but hope so!

Tracey

Hi Pam,

I have one client who uses a plain old tape recorder with two microphones. The quality is great and I just do a digital transfer when they give me the tapes and then I give them back a CD.

Another client uses a small digital recorder for meetings, but the sound quality is not as good in a group setting because of the single microphone. It saves time for the file transfer but I personally prefer the tape method for externally recorded meetings.

Not sure if that helps, but hope so!

Tracey

Tracey,

That's very helpful. :thumbup: Do you think the recording would be as good without the 2 microphones? Is it the microphones that make the difference or the tape, do you think?

If we go with tape, what's the best way to transfer from tape to digital?

Pam

[Tracey,

That's very helpful. :thumbup: Do you think the recording would be as good without the 2 microphones? Is it the microphones that make the difference or the tape, do you think?

If we go with tape, what's the best way to transfer from tape to digital?

Pam

Hi Pam, the recording is definitely better because of the two microphones. I use a simple file transfer cable out of the tape recorder (in the headphone jack) and into the computer (into the line in plug on the back of the computer). Works like a charm!

I'm sure someone out there can give you better advice on a digital recording device - it has to be better, I just have no experience with it.

Tracey

Hi Pam, the recording is definitely better because of the two microphones. I use a simple file transfer cable out of the tape recorder (in the headphone jack) and into the computer (into the line in plug on the back of the computer). Works like a charm!

I'm sure someone out there can give you better advice on a digital recording device - it has to be better, I just have no experience with it.

Tracey

Thanks, Tracey, for your advice. That was very helpful and I feel confident in talking to the president of the association tomorrow.

After you explained the digital transfer, I hit my forehead with the palm of my hand and said, "Doh!" :blush: I knew that.

Pam