Dawn03

A question for those offering bookkeeping services

Hi everyone,

I was curious how you handle checkruns when doing a/p for a client. I am just starting out and trying to get as much as possible worked out in my head (and on paper) before "opening the doors". I am wondering if I need to get a laser printer so that I can print the checks, or do I send them an open a/p list, and they print their own checks? I am thinking that it probably depends on what the client wants to do.

If you do print checks for them; do you get a certain amount of blank checks at a time, do you have a clearing account where you print the checks and they reimburse you for the total amount of the checkrun, or do you do something else entirely?

I would love to hear what works and what doesn't from everyone.

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

Guest Pat Z.

Hi Dawn,

For my direct bookkeeping clients, I don't print checks. Any AP I do is through their online banking or Quickbooks bill pay. I've never actually handled the printing of checks, but I'm sure other bookkeepers will join in and let you know how they handle it.

Hi Pat,

I like that idea. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Hi Dawn,

For my direct bookkeeping clients, I don't print checks. Any AP I do is through their online banking or Quickbooks bill pay. I've never actually handled the printing of checks, but I'm sure other bookkeepers will join in and let you know how they handle it.

Dawn: I have some local clients that I print checks for. When I have the week's checks ready, they get mailed to the client for signatures. In most instances, the check is already paperclipped to a window envelope and stamped, so it's really sign-n-go for the client.

For my virtual clients, most clients write their own checks and somehow let me know, either via email or by writing on the bill in question and mailing me the paid bill. Other clients have me handle the bill-payments online through their bank's billpay system. Any more, this type of setup will meet most needs.

Hope that helps!

Deb

Thanks!

Dawn: I have some local clients that I print checks for. When I have the week's checks ready, they get mailed to the client for signatures. In most instances, the check is already paperclipped to a window envelope and stamped, so it's really sign-n-go for the client.

For my virtual clients, most clients write their own checks and somehow let me know, either via email or by writing on the bill in question and mailing me the paid bill. Other clients have me handle the bill-payments online through their bank's billpay system. Any more, this type of setup will meet most needs.

Hope that helps!

Deb

I have used Quicken for personal clients and quickbooks for corporate clients. For personal clients, I use their online banking through quicken, then there is no need to print anything. I label the bills as paid and file them away. At the end of the year, they get the hard copy of their bills. I access their data through logmein. For business clients, I also use online banking most of the time. For clients who prefer paper, I get a stack of checks from them, pay the bills, print the checks, and send to client for signing and mailing. Hope that helps. Janine

Thanks Janine,

That does help. I plan on getting Quick books after the holiday (maybe that will be my present to myself) :rolleyes: I have also done a/p the way that Candy mentioned. We had a clearing account, blank check stock, and a MICR toner cartridge. All the different companies were stored in the computer and we just picked the one that we wanted to use.

I still like the idea of online banking; it does depend on what the customer wants though.

Thanks again ladies,