ivette@excelvirtualservices.com

Switching to Wordpress for my Business Site

Helle Fellow VAs,

I have been away and I have missed a lot of great posts but now I am back and ready to work on my VA business again. I have heard so many VA say that they use Wordpress for their site and I have taken a look at and I am very confused, I heard about plugins and widgets, etc... to help create the site, that I am very confused is Wordpress.org for blogs or for blogs and sites and how to you customize the themes? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ivette

Wordpress.com is used when you host a Wordpress blog through Wordpress. Wordpress.org is where you host the blog on your own hosting. If you use Wordpress.com you are VERY limited on the themes you can choose from. However, if you use Wordpress.org there are several different themes you can download and use. You just have to do a search for Wordpress themes and you will find several. Many people use both Wordpress.org and Wordpress.com for both blogs and sites.

There are several plugins and widgets that you can use on a wordpress site. Plugins and Widgets are used to add more interactivity or functions to your site. If you are looking to change the colors, header, design of a theme that you download off the internet, you will need to know html and CSS. The only way to actually customize them is by getting into the coding and messing around with how it's set up and the colors and images that are already in the site.

I love WP for a blog but I am not a big fan of using Wordpress for a site simply because the more widgets and plugins that you get on the site, the more clunky it is and the more stuff can go wrong with it. Also in order to use WP for a site and customize it and use it to it's full potential, you WILL have to know at the very least the absolute basics of html and css and if that is the extent of your knowledge in coding, it can get very frustrating very easily.

HTH,

Tracy Collins

Collins-Admin Services

Wordpress.com is used when you host a Wordpress blog through Wordpress. Wordpress.org is where you host the blog on your own hosting. If you use Wordpress.com you are VERY limited on the themes you can choose from. However, if you use Wordpress.org there are several different themes you can download and use. You just have to do a search for Wordpress themes and you will find several. Many people use both Wordpress.org and Wordpress.com for both blogs and sites.

There are several plugins and widgets that you can use on a wordpress site. Plugins and Widgets are used to add more interactivity or functions to your site. If you are looking to change the colors, header, design of a theme that you download off the internet, you will need to know html and CSS. The only way to actually customize them is by getting into the coding and messing around with how it's set up and the colors and images that are already in the site.

I love WP for a blog but I am not a big fan of using Wordpress for a site simply because the more widgets and plugins that you get on the site, the more clunky it is and the more stuff can go wrong with it. Also in order to use WP for a site and customize it and use it to it's full potential, you WILL have to know at the very least the absolute basics of html and css and if that is the extent of your knowledge in coding, it can get very frustrating very easily.

HTH,

Tracy Collins

Collins-Admin Services

Thank you, Tracy! I have absolutely felt like an idiot when it comes to my WP site (as Tawyna can attest). I guess after I graduate on the 11th (woohoo!!!), I'll just have to take the extra time I have then and jump in!! (That's a warning to all of you! Once I get in there, I'll have a MILLION questions, I'm sure- :unsure: )

Linda

Hi Ivette,

I love wordpress as a platform for websites. It is great way to keep your website and all of its contents organized. You do have a learning curve ahead of you if you want to use it but it is fun, at least it was for me.

For a template, there are a ton of websites that have wordpress themes, free and paid. Be careful with the free templates, they can break if not coded well. So be sure there is support for the theme in case you need help. If you are not familiar with the coding and want a custom template there are some VAs here that can create one you that matches your needs.

Once you have a template added content is easy, even if you don't know html or css. You can use the "visual editor" to add and edit your content. Learning HTML and CSS will allow you to further customize your pages so you can learn as you go.

Plugins are added to enhance or optimize your site. Depending on what you want for your site would depend on the plugs you use. They are soo many out there, ask questions here to get some ideas on what would benefit you. Crystal has a great fan page with information: http://www.facebook.com/#/wphelp?ref=ts

Thanks for the info, ladies. I too am going to switch my web site using wordpress.org and have been a little confused. Thanks for the clarification to some of my questions.

Sue

Word Processing Plus LLC