Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kathy@9to5

Surveying local businesses on their support needs

Guest Kathy@9to5

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has surveyed local businesses to determine their support needs?

My thought was to use a short survey as part of my introduction to them. For example:

sending out an email to potential clients that are local with a short synopsis of my how business can support them, etc., and asking them to complete the 'administrative/business support needs' survey.

Next year will be my first year in business and in addition to joining the local Chamber of Commerce, etc., I was thinking about doing this as part of my marketing plan. Has anyone done such a survey/introduction to local businesses and if so did you find it worth your while in doing so and were the results beneficial?

The results would be used to add/customize services the potential clients need, etc. and then go out on calls to sell one-on-one, market online, etc.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Kathy

Congratulations on the start of your new business. I had the same question, but I also don't know the questions to ask in the survey as to find out if a Virtual Assistant would benefit the company's needs. I know I didn't help your question, but hopefully someone on the forums can help the both of us :unsure:

Kathy, I've not done the survey, but if I were going to do one, I would first offer to be a program for the Chamber of Commerce, SHORT program and do the survey as follow-up with that. Part of your program could be the most basic questions, asking for interaction at the program. Give them a puzzle or game to complete as part of the survey so you get something tangible and don't have to remember all of the information..who said what. Our Chamber's most successful events like this involve a luncheon, hosted by one of the richer members. Last summer, I was part of a team of three; we peeled our schpiels down till all of us presented in 1/2 hour. Almost like twitter with slides.

Random emails from people I'm not acquainted with must be pretty good to be response. I have responded to queries at the Chamber of Commerce about employment or involvement with Wilder Days. I don't often respond to other VAs who must not be members here or they would know better. Again, you know your locality and some of the people who would receive your emails already know you, so your credibility is solid and the email could be very effective.

Network! Network! Network!

Well congrats on the new business.

I personally have conducted a survey of small business owners to determine which Accounting software programs are most used and why. A survey is a great way to get information from potential clients.

Questions that you ask should relate to daily small business operations and company background.

Some questions I thought of:

How many employees does your business have?

Who performs payroll functions for the business?

What long is the employee turnover or turnaround period?

How long does it take to train new employees?

How much is spent in training new employees?

What skills do you find necessary for employees?

I would suggest that you leave the survey at small business organizations in your area. Your local SBA may allow you to post your survey in their offices.

Hope this helps.

-Raquel

Guest Kathy@9to5

Thank you everybody for your suggestions.

I still have some thinking to do about conducting a survey.

Thanks again!

Kathy

Guest Velma Hickey

Does anyone have a sample survey for a bookkeeping service to ask bookkeeping potential clients?

Velma

Well congrats on the new business.

I personally have conducted a survey of small business owners to determine which Accounting software programs are most used and why. A survey is a great way to get information from potential clients.

Questions that you ask should relate to daily small business operations and company background.

Some questions I thought of:

How many employees does your business have?

Who performs payroll functions for the business?

What long is the employee turnover or turnaround period?

How long does it take to train new employees?

How much is spent in training new employees?

What skills do you find necessary for employees?

I would suggest that you leave the survey at small business organizations in your area. Your local SBA may allow you to post your survey in their offices.

Hope this helps.

-Raquel